“Mediocre and flavorless”

Dining options: Reservations
McLean VA
“Mediocre and flavorless”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is a poor excuse for an Indian restaurant, lacking flavor, panache or even charm. I could forgive the cramped space or even the odd idea of a offering valet parking in an often empty parking lot, if only the food were any good. But not even the most basic staple--naan and roti--had much flavor.

The fried spinach with pomegranate seeds was okay, but never came together as a dish; it was just fried spinach with little else. The tandoori shrimp was dry and tasteless, the samosa was a disgrace and the chicken cooked in cilantro and mint had an odd flavor that made it barely edible. After that parade of disappointment, we didn't even bother to ask for a dessert menu.

The strangest thing is the restaurant's pretenses of grandeur. The menu compared the owner to the creator of Rasika, one of DC's best restaurants--that's a laugh. And the entrance has a virtual shrine to the Washington Post reviewer who loved Curry Mantra 1, the big brother of this offshoot. Never been there, but this place clearly needs work.

• Visited April 2013

Falls Church, Virginia
“Indian Food that Really Rocks!!!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Last year my wife and I visited Curry Mantra 1 and found the food delightful. Taking advantage of the Falls Church Restaurant week offering we visited the newly opened Curry Mantra 2 in Falls Church for Sunday buffet. There was a Free Valet service waiting for us outside the restaurant and a number of very pleasant and help wait staff to greet us and seat us at our table. We found the selection fabulous as well as taking the opinions of those seated around us. It seemed to me that the cream sauces were not as thick or as sweet as other Indian restaurants in the area and that the offerings were leaning towards a vegetarian vent. Cutlery was substantial with cloth napkins and table cloth. The dining area was new and upscale although a bit cramped. I have learned that they plan on expanding soon in the future. One thing I enjoyed was the open kitchen which is very unusual in an Indian restaurant. Be careful, as It was hard to stop eating off the buffet as it was so well presented and so accessible. The Masala Chi was a wonderful after diner drink and it has put me back into drink tea in the morning instead of coffee. Even tried goat for the first time and it went down nicely although goat has lots of bones. The food and service were first class and is great for families and quiet enough to conduct business over lunch or dinner. When I am in the mood for Indian food again this will be my top pick in Falls Church. Next stop will be to sample the Curry Mantra 3 in the group in Vienna, VA.

• Visited March 2013