“Good Hot Pot, but that's all...”

Uncle Liu's Hot Pot
Ranked #98 of 388 Restaurants in Falls Church
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed March 9, 2014

This is not the first time I had Hot Pot (or Chinese food, I eat it regularly since my girlfriend is Chinese), and I have to say the Hot Pot is good. The soup is good, the ingredients are fresh and there are enough sauces to choose from. They claim to be the only authentic Chinese Hot Pot in the area, and I think I have to agree to that.

But there is more. The atmosphere is not so great. We were first seated at the leather benches with a table in the middle. The benches are much to far from the table to sit comfortable. After we moved to a table with normal seats we were fine.

What bothers me more is the fact that we were surrounded by restaurant staff that was watching series on there phones or tablets, and since most Chinese television is quite noisy anyway, it is not a pleasant experiences when you are eating next to that.

Next to that, it seems like the Chinese staff ignores me, and only speaks in Chinese to my girlfriend. They only asked me once in English if I wanted some extra water. I think it is very rude that they do not bother to talk to me in English.

And finally, according to the Washington Post this should be the best bargain restaurant. We ate for $ 70, and although we were fulfilled, I think it is possible to get way better food for this money. So bargain? I don't think so...

But don't get me wrong, if you want Chinese Hot Pot, this is probably THE place to go in this area. I just hope restaurants like this will soon learn some things about how their staff has to behave towards customers.

1  Thank ChrisHeiligers

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I ate here a few months ago and got the buffet and it was very good, but I noticed that nearly everybody was eating the hot pot. So, I gathered up a friend when we were in the area and we got the hot pot. Prior to this, I had never eaten a Chinese Hot Pot (I'd had Korean versions to similar dishes) and I was impressed. First, you choose your broth: hot and spicy, mild or half a pot of each, then you choose what you want to add to it: meat, veggies, noodles, etc. Next, you go to the dipping sauce bar and build your dipping sauce your way. When we were done, I don't thing that either of us could have eaten anymore (we're both big eaters) and I had enough broth to take home and use for a chicken soup base the next day. Definitely one of the best Chinese meals that I've ever had!

1  Thank CharlieHorse1967
Reviewed December 31, 2013

If you are used to PF Changs, you are in for a shock. This is real Chinese food.
We had several dishes Beef Chow Fun, Fried Flounder, Squid. All very good.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We had a wonderful dinner, the service was excellent and very helpful. We had the double hot pot (one side spicy both, other side not spicy) It was so fun to cook all the food right at our table! The flavors were all delicious and it was very warming and filling on a cold night. Would recommend for a group as it is fun to sit at the round tables with the hot pot in the middle. Enjoyed the condiments bar where you can make all of your own diping sauces! Will definitely return! Brunch seems like it would be good too.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We had a wonderful hot pot dinner at Uncle Liu's. You can choose from a wide, wide variety of ingredients to cook in your table hot pot, with vegetables, meats, and dumplings. It is fun, delicious, and infinitely customizable. This is much like Mala Tang in Arlington, at about half the price. Service is helpful if you are new to this cuisine.

There is also a great selection of other Chinese dishes, again at a reasonable price. There is plenty of parking, although turning in from Gallows Rd. is a little tricky.

1  Thank SofiaJoe