“Great place to chill out”

Residence Inn Fairfax Merrifield
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Falls Church
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed here over the Labor day weekend, in a 2 bed suite with our teenage daughters. I would highly recommend it. It is not a particularly plush hotel, and not done to the newest Residence Inn style, but it was very comfortable. It is a large hotel and we were in a room way down at the bottom of a long corridor, but even so we felt at home. We did not hear any other guests.
The breakfast was fine, fairly typical fare. The pool was quite small, but was set in a pleasant courtyard. Our daughters enjoyed it. The location of the hotel was great, right behind a small strip mall with a few restaurants, a Starbucks and a CVS. It was an easy drive to everywhere we wanted to go.
We took our lives in our hands and walked (we're British) to the Sweetwater Tavern just across the street, but I wouldn't recommend walking again! It was a scary and hairy experience crossing the road with no pedestrian crossing. Sweetwater Tavern itself was simply great, the best meal we had all holiday.
We got a fantastic deal for the hotel, which was the deciding factor for us on this stay, but I would not hesitate to recommend it, or to stay here again. It was great.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Toton-traveller

Reviewed August 30, 2012

My extended family and I stayed at this property and had 5 rooms. The best features of this hotel were a generous buffet breakfast with ample seating, free parking, and proximity to a shopping center with numerous restaurants, CVS, etc. If you are in good shape, you can leave your car at the hotel and walk about a mile to the Metro station.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

Large, sprawling (just under 160 suites), 4-story Residence Inn (RI), surrounding lovely courtyard & outdoor pool. Courtyard tables & chairs are pleasant spot for eating breakfast or dinner outside in nice weather.  Overall pleasant environment.

Largest TV (42 inches – 1 meter) I’ve ever seen in RI living room – not complaining, just noting. (After becoming accustomed to it, other TVs seem puny.)

Typical older, yet comfortable, RI accommodations:

• Free internet/WiFi.

• Two computers & printer to print documents & boarding passes.

• Small exercise room with working treadmills, ellipticals, weights.

• Rows of working washers ($2) & dryers ($2) in 1st floor guest laundry that seemed continually in use by guests. (Had to keep checking for available washer.)

• Free on-site self-parking in: above ground lot & secured underground garage.

• Surprisingly *quiet* room considering proximity (& convenience) to highways:
 -- Beltway (I-495)
 -- Route 50
 -- Gallows Rd.(650)
 -- I-66

Approximate Drive Times (Depending on Traffic):

• 5 min. -- 1.5 miles (2.4 km) -- to Dunn Loring-Merrifield metro station (orange line) on 2700 Gallows Rd. (Vienna, VA); $4.75 all day parking space at metro station.

• 15-min. -- 4.1 mi. (6.6 km) -- to Tysons Corner.

• 25-min. -- 12.5 mi. (20 km) -- to DC Washington Mall, Smithsonian Museums, Memorials, Sightseeing.

• 30-min. -- 21 mi. (34 km) -- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD); no RI shuttle.

• 30-min. -- 15 mi. (24 km) -- Washington National Airport (DCA); no RI shuttle.

Budget Eating & Shopping:

• Standard RI breakfasts (hot & cold items) with some healthy options & evening fare (Mon., Tue., Wed.) served in gatehouse. (Hoped for better quality meals, which are served at other RIs & Homewoods; always hope for Greek yogurt, whole grain breads, & greater assortment of fresh fruit.) *Convenient* if you haven't time to prepare your own meals.

• For evenings when food isn’t served, brief walk or drive to numerous nearby eateries; call-in order & pick up on your way home from day’s activities.

• If you’ve time/ inclination, food shop & prepare your own meals in furnished kitchenette. Approx. 10-minute drive (depending on traffic) to 2 groceries in Falls Church, VA (each about 2.2 miles (3.5 km)):
  --  Safeway  on 7397 Lee Highway
  --  Giant  on 7235 Arlington Boulevard

Standard, good quality RI -- clean & comfortable -- for short- or long-stay whether traveling with family, as a couple, or alone on business.

• Stayed: August 2011
6  Thank gnomemoss
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Due to the recent power outages in the D.C. area, we were diverted from a different Residence Inn to this one. It turned out to be a great location -- close to Metro, a parking garage, an above-average outdoor pool. Rooms were spacious, which was especially nice since we were having a family gathering there. The only issue we had was something used by the housecleaning staff smelled just awful, and there seemed to be no way to stop it other than opening the windows when we returned to the room.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I really tried to like this place, but .... !
It is clean, but old. When I checked in nobody was behind the front desk (there was never a person standing there... they were always behind a second desk or in a room). I am a Marriott Reward Member for years and my profile says "high floor, away from elevator". I specifically requested "quiet room". I got a suit in the first floor, exactly next to the elevator and very close to the lobby ! The window was exactly attached to the basketball court ! The hotel was full of families with loud kids which ran around from 6 AM. The evening reception is nothing to do with the usual RI receptions. No alcoholic beverage, no sweet tea, lemonade (something beside Pepsi product !). I just had one breakfast. Although I went there at 6:30 the shouting kids were around !
I always hate to write bad reviews for housekeeping, cause I believe their job is hard. But at this hotel they are so LOUD ! 2 or 3 of them always move together and talk very loudly from different rooms when they are cleaning. Two afternoons I had to ask them to keep it down (they woke me up the both days). Also when they are cleaning the don't put anything to keep the door open, so the door closes 10 times when they clean the room and you know how loud is the hotels' doors !
Upon checkout I had a problem with my bill that took them 4 hours to fix and they acted like I was lying !!
I stayed at Towneplace Falls Church few times and it is much better property.

2  Thank palmimp
Reviewed July 11, 2012

On my last few business trips, I stayed at other hotels in the Falls Church area. This one is so much better than the others. There is free WIFI in the lobby /free high-speed access in rooms. The facility is clean, good size room(s) with sofa bed, and confortable bed, huge TV, solid location. The suite has a large refrigerator (with ice maker), 2 burner stove, microwave, dishwasher, and coffee machine. I appreciate the gated and underground parking garage which kept my car out of the sun and secure. Coin operated washer and dryer available. Swimming pool was clean and inviting. A gas grill is available to guests in the courtyard.
Included during my stay: (a) breakfast (M-F,6:30 AM to 9 AM); and (b) dinner (Monday through Wednesday) with an assortment of soft drinks (and choc chip cookies!). For families, cribs are free of charge. There is an ATM machine in the lobby. Front desk will cash checks with a valid driver's license. Check out is noon... There are specials, too. For example, the week I was there, Thursday was "movie night", which included hot dogs and hamburgers for guests. And, the employees ... as helpful as they come. While slightly worn from use in certain places, the price is very reasonable as this hotel is much better than other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: This location is away from busy highway noise ... quiet.
4  Thank Coffeecup1390
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My air conditioner broke down in Washington, DC, at 104 degrees so I chose this hotel near my place of work to cool off. For under $100 I had a full kitchen with utensils, glass plates, and wine glasses, giant TV to watch Wimbeldon, and a small swimming pool. What impressed me was that the lifeguard checked the water bacteria every so often to make sure it stayed clean. I've always been iffy about hotel pools so that made me feel reassured. This place is known for its great complimentary breakfast but I was glued to Wimbeldon and missed it.

The AC was very cold but you can easily turn it down.

Also, within a two-minute walking distance (just outside the hotel) are at least four restaurants, a great Deli (Dominion), and a 24-hour CVS drugstore. Sweetwater Tavern, which is about two blocks away is a great dinner place with very good service.

Room Tip: They have a gym, which I didn't go to, and a pool, so it is not exactly a spa. I always choose a...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falls Church
Hilton Garden Inn Falls Church
Hilton Garden Inn Falls Church
#1 of 15 in Falls Church
Courtyard Dunn Loring Fairfax

Been to Residence Inn Fairfax Merrifield? Share your experiences!