“You Certainly Won 't Be Mad If You Choose to Eat Here”

Mad Fox Brewing Company
Reserve with OpenTable
Mad Fox Brewing Company is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 366 Restaurants in Falls Church
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Rockville, Maryland, United States
“You Certainly Won 't Be Mad If You Choose to Eat Here”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I was here with a Meetup group of about 25 people, so there wasn't much opportunity to focus on the food. This is your normal brewpub type ambience-nothing special but very inviting overall. The restaurant nicely reserved an area around the corner from the main dining room providing our own informal area to socialize. The bartender served as the group's waiter-very ably I might add. I had two different beers-the Geordie Brown, a Newcastle style brown ale and a Scottish style ale with a touch of brandy mixed in. Both were very good. I had to leave before I could sit down and order a meal, but I got a lamb burger with both fries and onion rings to go, which I consumed shortly after arriving home. The lamb burger was massive and luscious and I would highly recommend. The onion rings were several huge thick slices of onion nicely breaded and the fries a large portion of freshly cut spuds. Both onion rings and fries suffer from not being consumed right when they are served and these were no exception. The onion rings seemed like they would have been terrific had I been able to eat them right out of the kitchen and the fries also seemed like they would have been good, but likely not memorable. The only thing from keeping this from a five star review was the fact that I had takeout food rather than fresh out of the kitchen. I would highly recommend this establishment.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States
“Terrible”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Food, Service, even talking to the manager was terrible. Sat us next to a table of 30 loud people. When we complained, the manager said I'm sorry. Nothing I can do.

Lamb burger - aweful
calamari - soggy
drinks - wrong, wrong,wrong
ambiance - terrible

Oh, and I'm a local who wants to dine here because it is close to home. 12 times and never a good one.

Fairfax, Virginia
“Service needs major help”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The beer and food was good. It was the Hostess that made this experience just horrible. She completely ruined my date night with my husband and will never go to this establishment again.

Gainesville, Virginia, United States
“Great Beer - Food specials you should not skip”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Mad Fox has been open for a bit more than three years now. It is a true Brew Pub with all beers (with a few special occasion exceptions) brewed on premises with their own recipes, several of which are national medal winners.

We typically visit three or four times per month and have never had a bad experience other than an overdone burger one time and an under baked pizza another time. The staff made bill adjustments in both cases without our doing more than mentioning the issue, which we mainly did to provide feedback to the kitchen.

Always ask about the food specials if your server should somehow fail to mention them. Wednesdays are special for us as they have a weekly special "Epic Burger" which is different each week, and if there on a Wednesday (our most common day to visit) that is what we eat if we need some food along with the excellent beer choices.

We prefer to sit at the bar for the "full experience" and rarely have to ask for another beer as the bartenders know when you are down to a sip or two it is time to ask. ("Same or something different?") As regulars, they know us by name but it seems they know almost everyone at the bar by name.

See a beer on the often changing menu you have not tried? Ask for a taste, which is free (at least at the bar, not sure how the table servers handle this) and you will find yourself ordering some things you would have otherwise missed.

If new to Mad Fox, try their sampler, a choice of several small servings of your choice of beers. It is an excellent way to introduce yourself to styles you have not tried before without ordering a full glass.

The food menu is complete, from appetizers to deserts, sandwiches/hamburgers to top quality entrees which would be found in a five star sit down restaurant. It has a wide variety of selections, including vegan and gluten free options, what should provide something delicious for everyone.

Of course they do have a large seating area as well as a huge bar, but even with some five star entree items, the noise level is too high to consider this a fine dining restaurant. (Sorry Mad Fox - it's true) But we don't go there for fine dining ambiance. We go there for a fun time with friends ambiance. We see a lot of families and there are family choices on the menu whether sharing a pizza or ordering from the kids menu. Great house made root beer comes with free refills for the kids or non-drinking adults too.

Check out their periodic special events at their website. These vary a lot from seasonal themes to special menu events such as a wild game menu.

One last thought. Introduce yourself to your new friends at the bar. When you come back you will most likely see them again.

1 Thank Bruce B
Falls Church, Virginia
“Great beers, mostly friendly staff, delicious food (PIZZA!)”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The food is almost always perfect, but if not then it's still delicious. Pizzas are especially good choices, are as the stuffed meatloaf! The beers are all made there and I find the darker, heavier ones are my favorite (I like lighter beers, and theres are good, I just prefer there darker beers better). The wait staff can be hit or miss, but for the most part they are awesome!

Visited July 2013