“A quiet and decent hotel in a small town setting at Falls Church”

TownePlace Suites Falls Church
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Falls Church
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I went to DC for the first time in Sept 2013. I looked for hotels or hostels for 2 solid months and found nothing at an affordable level. I imagined it must the time for the students returning to college and every decent hotel in DC area was solidly booked other than the expensive ones.

I had a hard time to find myself a ticket to fly in to DC, not to say the extra effort to find a hotel. The second most affordable hotel I could find was this TownePlace Suites at Falls Church, Virginia. So, I booked it for 3 nights.

I flew in to Baltimore and all public transportation closed down after midnight. Traveling from Baltimore to Falls Church was no easy task. The shuttle to take you from Baltimore airport to Falls Church could cost you close to $100, it was no less than 45 minutes ride after mid-night and you had to wait for that shuttle to come.

This Marriott TownePlace Suites is not brand new, at least 15 to 20+ years old. It is a traditional New England style 4-storey brick façade building. The management does good maintenance, the overall environment of the hotel is clean and decent.

Due to various reasons and hiccups, I didn’t arrive to the hotel till 10am in the morning, but the check-in time was 3pm, I was ready to leave my luggage at the front desk and come back later on. To my surprise, they had the suite ready for me already, so I checked in 5 hours in advance. It was a bonus, my hats off.

Even for one person, they gave me a suite, it came with a bed, a desk, a bathroom, a kitchen and a lavish sitting area with a regular 32” flat panel TV. It was quite spacious for one person.

I was so tired I slept for 6 hours and woke up in the late afternoon. There was a mini-mart within the walking distance from the hotel and it was a Muslim managed supermarket. No pork and I ended up buying Halal steaks from that place because their chickens looked horrible. The closest Safeway was about half an hour walk one-way. Bus services in Falls Church are unheard of after 6pm.

The hotel itself was quiet throughout my stay. I had no complaints. The bed was comfortable. They had room services every day. Tidy and clean was my impression.

Falls Church is on the Metro light rail lines. To commute between DC and Falls Church is an easy task. From the Metro station to the hotel was about 5 to 10 min walk, not too bad. Unless you want to take the taxi, don’t count on the bus. The town is decent, I feel safe to walk this distance even after midnight. They have a pub, a restaurant and several churches between the Metro station and the hotel, nothing alarming within this short distance.

Most of the Marriott hotels offer free breakfast, if not all. This Marriott has the smallest breakfast area that I have ever come across. It accommodates 12 people at max. They offer regular cereals and snack bars but NO hot entrees, no eggs and sausages. They managed to purchase some hard boil eggs in plastic cases but they are the cold ones. The male person managed the breakfast area was a chatterbox, something you could not ignore in such a small area.

The front desk services were great during the day, the night shift person was not the most effective ones. I asked for directions, the night shift person couldn’t help much, he tried but ended up offering information I already knew. I asked the night shift person for a wakeup call on my last day, no calls at all. If I go there the next time, I definitely will seek help from the day shift personnel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Daniel L
Andrew D, Manager at TownePlace Suites Falls Church, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Thank you Daniel for your feedback on your recent stay at the TownePlace Suites Falls Church. I truly appreciate you taking the time to speak with me and reviewing your overall experience with our hotel. These points you have included are truly enlightening and it helps us correctly pinpoint areas we need to further improve upon. We look forward to seeing you again in the future when you visit Falls Church!

There are newer reviews for TownePlace Suites Falls Church

Reviewed January 21, 2014

While I've stayed at Marriott properties for years, this one needs a bit of updating. This property is clean, efficient, and pleasantly staffed. However the decor needs a bit of updating. Not that it is "shabby", just not as 'fresh' as other Marriott properties. Also the free breakfast needs to be updated to the standards of other Marriott properties by the addition of some 'hot' breakfast items, even if it is just the addition of "make your own waffles". I have stayed at this location twice and plan to stay again as it is very close to where family lives. Hope this helps in updating the decor.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Thank you Jim for your feedback on your recent stay at the TownePlace Suites Falls Church. We are glad that you chose to stay with us and that overall you had a good experience. We appreciate the feedback on being more updated as we are constantly striving to not only meet but exceed the expectations of our guests. Please continue to keep us in mind, as your home away from home, when visiting the Falls Church area. We look forward to your return the next time you visit!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the TownePlace suites due to its proximity to friends of ours staying in a Falls Church Apartment. When I first saw the price I was a little worried, but as soon as we arrived I could tell my concerns were unfounded. The room complete with a small kitchen was large and very clean. The staff (front desk and cleaning) were lovely and very helpful. The free parking was great. The breakfast food was good, but due to the small breakfast room we chose to take it back to our room after the first day. We will stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Andrew D, Manager at TownePlace Suites Falls Church, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the TownePlace Suites Falls Church. I am so glad that you and your husband had a very enjoyable stay! We look forward to seeing you again in the future when you visit Falls Church.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Darren who works at the front desk was great-very accommodating and helpful. The rooms were clean, as was the front desk area. With Darren's help we scheduled a bowling outing for my family! An outing we will never forget!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the hotel. Breakfast was served from 7a-10a. They served coffee-tea- j...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Andrew D, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Falls Church, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you Lisa for you valuable feedback! I am so glad that I was able to assist you and your family with a fun activity like bowling! Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that we could go over and beyond to make this a memorable experience for your family. I look forward to you staying with us again. Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback.

Sincerely yours,

Darren Walker

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed at the TownePlace due to its close proximiity to the highway and shopping. The price we paid for the room was excellent and including free parking and breakfast. We were put in an adjoining room with friends next door. Be warned that the door connecting the room locks on closing - there is no way to go back in other than through the front door!

The breakast area is very small and got very busy on the Saturday and Sunday mornings we were there. We were forced to eat out by the front desk, or standing around in the area consistenly being bumped into by others having breakfast. The attendant is friendly and provides tips on what to see and do in the DC area.

The rooms themselves are a bit outdated, and the bed isn't very comfortable, but I was told that is a fairly typical TownePlace room.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Andrew D, Manager at TownePlace Suites Falls Church, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the TownePlace Suites Falls Church. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that you found our location convenient to local highways and shopping! Please continue to keep us in mind, as your home away from home, when visiting the Falls Church area. We look forward to your return the next time you visit!

Reviewed December 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here while visiting family in the area. We were both very pleased with the hotel. The two people we dealt with at the front desk (one of them was Darren, I didn't get the other gentleman's name) were very friendly and helpful. The one bedroom suite we stayed in was very clean and spacious. The room isn't fancy or plush but certainly comfortable and we couldn't beat the price. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

We appreciate your feedback on your recent stay at the TownePlace Suites Falls Church. We are glad you enjoyed your stay while visiting family in the area. We truly strive to meet and exceeds our guests expectations and we appreciate guests, like yourself, that choose to stay with us among other choices in the area. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed December 19, 2013

This hotel is great. There is a small kitchen in each room which is perfect. They serve a basic cold breakfast that you can have in your room or in a central area. They also have a wonderful laundry room for the guests. The place is located about 20 minutes by taxi from downtown DC or a short trip to the close metro stop and then only about 10 minutes into central DC.

Room Tip: If you have children the kitchen can save you a great deal of cash.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the TownePlace Suites Falls Church. We are glad you enjoyed your stay along with experiencing added convenience from your personal kitchen within your suite and our onsite laundry facility! Please continue to keep us in mind, as your home away from home, when visiting the Falls Church area. We look forward to your return the next time you visit!