I went to DC for the first time in Sept 2013. I looked for hotels or hostels for 2 solid months and found nothing at an affordable level. I imagined it must the time for the students returning to college and every decent hotel in DC area was solidly booked other than the expensive ones.
I had a hard time to find myself a ticket to fly in to DC, not to say the extra effort to find a hotel. The second most affordable hotel I could find was this TownePlace Suites at Falls Church, Virginia. So, I booked it for 3 nights.
I flew in to Baltimore and all public transportation closed down after midnight. Traveling from Baltimore to Falls Church was no easy task. The shuttle to take you from Baltimore airport to Falls Church could cost you close to $100, it was no less than 45 minutes ride after mid-night and you had to wait for that shuttle to come.
This Marriott TownePlace Suites is not brand new, at least 15 to 20+ years old. It is a traditional New England style 4-storey brick façade building. The management does good maintenance, the overall environment of the hotel is clean and decent.
Due to various reasons and hiccups, I didn’t arrive to the hotel till 10am in the morning, but the check-in time was 3pm, I was ready to leave my luggage at the front desk and come back later on. To my surprise, they had the suite ready for me already, so I checked in 5 hours in advance. It was a bonus, my hats off.
Even for one person, they gave me a suite, it came with a bed, a desk, a bathroom, a kitchen and a lavish sitting area with a regular 32” flat panel TV. It was quite spacious for one person.
I was so tired I slept for 6 hours and woke up in the late afternoon. There was a mini-mart within the walking distance from the hotel and it was a Muslim managed supermarket. No pork and I ended up buying Halal steaks from that place because their chickens looked horrible. The closest Safeway was about half an hour walk one-way. Bus services in Falls Church are unheard of after 6pm.
The hotel itself was quiet throughout my stay. I had no complaints. The bed was comfortable. They had room services every day. Tidy and clean was my impression.
Falls Church is on the Metro light rail lines. To commute between DC and Falls Church is an easy task. From the Metro station to the hotel was about 5 to 10 min walk, not too bad. Unless you want to take the taxi, don’t count on the bus. The town is decent, I feel safe to walk this distance even after midnight. They have a pub, a restaurant and several churches between the Metro station and the hotel, nothing alarming within this short distance.
Most of the Marriott hotels offer free breakfast, if not all. This Marriott has the smallest breakfast area that I have ever come across. It accommodates 12 people at max. They offer regular cereals and snack bars but NO hot entrees, no eggs and sausages. They managed to purchase some hard boil eggs in plastic cases but they are the cold ones. The male person managed the breakfast area was a chatterbox, something you could not ignore in such a small area.
The front desk services were great during the day, the night shift person was not the most effective ones. I asked for directions, the night shift person couldn’t help much, he tried but ended up offering information I already knew. I asked the night shift person for a wakeup call on my last day, no calls at all. If I go there the next time, I definitely will seek help from the day shift personnel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Visit TownePlace Suites Falls Church with easy access to Tyson's Corner, The Pentagon, Arlington National Cemetery and Washington DC attractions. Guest suites feature fully-equipped kitchens complete with pots and pans, luxurious Marriott bedding and complimentary high speed internet. Stay in shape while visiting the Northern Virginia area in our hotel fitness center or relax by our outdoor swimming pool. Get a great start to the morning with our complimentary breakfast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your TownePlace Suites Falls Church reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Towneplace Suites Falls Church Hotel Falls Church
- Falls Church Towneplace Suites