Stafford House
$87
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 31% below average rates

The price you found is 31% lower than this hotel's average rate of $127/night.

$94
$89
Savings alert! 29% below average rates

The price you found is 29% lower than this hotel's average rate of $125/night.

$99
Courtyard
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of $118/night.

$109
Hampton.com
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $122/night.

$89
Savings alert! 32% below average rates

The price you found is 32% lower than this hotel's average rate of $130/night.

$107
Savings alert! 27% below average rates

The price you found is 27% lower than this hotel's average rate of $147/night.

Candlewood Suites Fairfax(Fairfax)(Great Value!)
$90
Savings alert! 26% below average rates

The price you found is 26% lower than this hotel's average rate of $121/night.

$88
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $100/night.

Best Western Fairfax(Fairfax)(Great Value!)
$95
Comfort Inn University Center(Fairfax)(Great Value!)
$84
ComfortInn
All reviewsqueen roomthe claw foot tubanniversary weekendfairfax areabreakfast was deliciousstayed for nightswithin walking distanceother guestsshort drivewashington dcwafflessaunadonnafireplacebedcomfort
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I first stayed at the charming Stafford House in 2009, so we were very comfortable booking it for a recent visit to our daughter's in Fairfax, VA. We were not disappointed; it was every bit as good as then -- even better. We noticed everything looked nicely maintained; some changes were small, like the addition of wi-fi, and others were much more noticeable like the incredible new mattresses. Don't ask me how, but my husband who doesn't like a firm mattress, AND I who do, both commented on how well we slept.

I have now stayed in both rooms in the house; the suite, which is very private, is huge and luxurious with a gigantic bathroom. The jacuzzi is like a small pool, and there are plenty of mirrors, extra towels, lights, etc. The other room is downstairs and a tad small but quite adequate for two. The bathroom has been totally redone and again, there are more thirsty towels, toiletries, etc. than you could ever use. Both rooms have refrigerators and bottled water. There is really nothing that I can imagine which could be added to either room to make it better. All areas are kept spic and span.

Regardless of which room you book, your breakfast is delivered to you on a tea cart at the time you designate. Those items which should be cold are, and the same can be said for the hot ones. Offerings are varied, attractive, and abundant.

This property is well situated for a visit to George Mason University, Fairfax itself, or any of the DC area. It is centrally located, discreetly hidden directly off a major thoroughfare. Even though it is only blocks from the center of town, we saw deer in the yard several times.

Donna is a dedicated innkeeper who considers her guests to be a joy and privilege. She is extremely accommodating and a lovely lady. During our last visit, I was suffering with a head cold. She continued to ask what she might do or provide to make me more comfortable. However, the ultimate challenge came following our check-out when she had a really great opportunity to provide unbelievable hospitality! In the late afternoon, I was calling her to see if not only we, but also my daughter and her family, who live locally, might check into both rooms for the night. My daughter's a/c had gone out at her home and it would have been a horrible night for all of us, especially the 3 children under 5 years. Instead of getting to enjoy the night off as she had anticipated doing, Donna welcomed us all back even though some of us were quite late getting there. She graciously provided breakfast even though she had had no warning; the children even got milk in sippie-cups! Yes, we paid for our rooms, but what she provided was worth much more than money can buy!

The only reasons this bed and breakfast would be less than perfect is if someone wants the use of large common rooms within the house, as they do not exist; secondly, if you want to enjoy lounging on a perfectly manicured patio or walking through gardens, this is not the right place. However, if you are wanting hosts who are genuine concerned about your comfort, a delightful breakfast, and tasteful, immaculate accommodations in the DC/Fairfax area, you cannot beat this.

Room Tip: The entire house is guaranteed to be pet-free, which hotels/motels cannot ever do. They never know when someone has slipped in a pet of which they are unaware.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ToyBaby
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I recently stayed at the Stafford House to simply get away from my day-to-day stresses. I live locally so I was very familiar with the area and was more focused on my stay at the inn. As soon as I arrived I was properly greeting by Donna the innkeeper who was very warm and friendly. She accommodated my schedule and allowed me to check in earlier than originally planned. I was able to leave my car, bring my things in to my room (Queen room) while she gave me instructions for my stay.
Things to know:
Queen room is on the first floor and is extremely private. There is some street noise but not too loud. If you are sensitive use a sound machine or wear ear plugs. The room is quite large with a wood burning fire place, a sitting area, TV with basic cable, a mini fridge, an antique armoire for your clothing (there are no dressers), a queen bed with a pillow top mattress with four pillows. The bathroom is quite large with a walk in two person shower with body jets, and a built in seat, and a claw foot tub. There is no real door on the bathroom just a curtain so if you are traveling with someone hopefully you are not shy. This was not an issue as I traveled alone.

Breakfasts are delivered to your room at the time you desire. I am a late sleeper so my breakfast was delivered at 10:30 am and it was amazing. I frequent B&B's and I usually have to wake up earlier than I want. Her breakfasts are delicious and filling and she arrived right on the dot of the time you request.
There are no common areas so you are pretty much left alone which for me was great this trip. Although when I travel with my fiance I love common areas and meeting the other guests.
There is no thermostat in the room so it got a little hot during the day. If you are sensitive to temperature bring or ask for a fan. She provided a small fan to use in the bathroom as there was no ventilation.
2 water bottles, coffee maker with the fixings, bottle opener, and wine glasses are provided during your stay.
She also gave me a great deal since I was traveling alone and midweek. All in all I enjoyed my stay it was very relaxing, and private. Donna was friendly and helpful and the breakfasts were yummy and filling.

Room Tip: Queen room pillow top bed, Jet shower, and Claw foot tub no bath salts or bubbles so bring if you want. Bring fan if Summer.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank lilcangood
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This was the best bed and breakfast ever! The room is huge, the bed beyond comfortable, and that jucuzzi tub.. Wow! Everything was clean, cleaner than most top hotels. This place really is the most relaxing place, I was actually disappointed we had to leave to go to dinner at a 5star restaurant.. Breakfast was amazing and my husband is still talking about the fruit! We honestly are planning another stay as we speak!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed for several nights while visiting D.C. Lovely room and bath, very quiet even though on a busy street. Donna told us about restaurants within walking distance and how to use the transportaion to the city. She even accomodated our early schedule with breakfast brought the night before to our room and kept in the mini-fridge. We would recommend it!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2012

The Stafford house was a wonderful start to mine and my husbands honeymoon. The place was quiet, the bed very comfortable and the bathroom was lovely! The only complaints I had of the place was the 2 nights we stayed there, I woke up with a couple more bug bites than I would have wanted and it was in the bed that I got them. Also, there needs to be a little more ventilation in the room. Other than that, the breakfast was very nice and our stay was well worth it.

Room Tip: The Queen room was where we stayed and we recommend it very much! It was facing the street, but we didn't have any noise issues with the traffic at all. I was impressed with how quiet it was.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BethanyDiddle
Owner-Donna, Owner at Stafford House, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Thanks for letting us know. I'm sorry to hear about your bites! We have never had any complaints about bed bugs and take the cleanliness of our rooms very seriously. I thoroughly inspected the bed as soon as I read your review and was unable to find find any evidence of bugs on the mattress or any of the linens. We will continue to routinely inspect the room to make sure that there are no problems. Thanks again for staying with us.