“Two Paws In The Grits Trough”

Best Western Fairfax
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Fairfax
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Because we were not travelling, my significant travel companion, when not making sure I had obtained the complementary breakfast passes, told me not to review this place. No problem, and I think that if there had been anything someone with whom I was sharing the room thought was wrong with our stay, then I'm personally satisfied my orders about a review would have been very different, indeed.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 11, 2010

I helped my dad and grandparents figure out where to stay when he came to visit my family here in Virginia and we chose to book at this Best Western. In general, I love Best Western. But when we took them to their room, it was not set up like a normal hotel. It was more like a motel. The location of their room was by a dark, creepy staircase. Also, the location of the air conditioning system in the room was weird. If it was turned on, it would blow the curtains onto one of the beds and let in the light. Besides that, when my relatives went to bed at night, they said there were a bunch of glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling. I thought that was neat, but also a little weird. One thing I did like, though, was that they still provided a little bag of snacks for their hotel guests. I think that's very nice that they do that.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank mokalyssamd
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Being the main planner when it comes to trips I research hotels thoroughly. This trip was for 6 nights so the price and room had to be right. After a 12 hour drive we were both very pleased with our room. We had plenty of room for our bags and comforts from home. The bed was Wonderful I wish I could take it home with me. The fridge in the room was huge for a hotel at least 3 ft which was great for our long stay. We could fit our water bottles, pop, snacks, and left overs with room to spare. Breakfast was good, everything was kept full. No fruit or yogurt which was disappointing but there were plenty of other options. Be sure to get your coupons before you go in to eat.

This is an older hotel so you will get noise from the outside fitlering in the room. More Motel than Hotel with an outside entrance to your room It wasn't a problem for us but may be for light sleepers. Water noise from the bathroom is noticeable but not deafening. We could hear our neighbors shower but only while in the bathroom itself. We didn't hear our neighbors any other time just their shower. Again it's an older hotel so this was not a surprise to us. The decorations inside of the room itself were very updated.

This hotel is very close to the Fairfax/Vienna Metro station. There is a city bus that will pick you up across from the hotel. We chose to drive to the station and pay to park. Very easy drive just download directs before you go or get a copy of the bus schedule and follow that route. The hotel has 2 computers in the lobby for guest use. If you can't get in the lot use the meters they only take quarters or $1 coins. It costs $1 an hour so have plenty to cover your whole time there.

The internet service is pretty good. We were able to use it at the desk or on the bed in our room. We also used it in the breakfast room and had no problems with it at all.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay here and would return again!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Busstrip
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I really enjoyed my stay in this hotel in Fairfax , VA. The hotel is small , but. has everything you need except an elevator. Breakfast is included and is a full breakfast. , The only strange thing is there are signs stating no food can be taken from the dining room. Some guests wanted to take a plate to their spouse who was sleeping in, but where unable to do so.
The staff was very nice with the exception of the manager who did not take criticism well.
I suggested that they needed a shuttle to the Metro. There was a city bus, but it did not run on Saturday night. I was stranded at the metro and had to call a cab. Idid not have enough cash but he just took what I had. Despite this inconvenience I would stay there again. It was clean and comfortable with good food and a friendly staff. The business center consisted of 2 computers-one of which was broken. That should have bee addressed.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank ellenzu
Reviewed September 22, 2010

I like hotels that don't tell you lies. This hotel isn't a 5 star wonderdome but it's a good solid 3 star type place where everything works:

Good reliable free internet
Clean rooms with a decent fridge and microwave
Complimentary breakfast
Friendly staff who took in a package for me from Amazon while I was out.

It's nicely located ready for a commute to D.C and there's plenty of restaurants nearby...which is just as well as there is no evening restaurant.

I had a motel type room but it overlooked the pool and had easy access.

If you're in the area for a day or two then you won't go far wrong by staying here.

Business travellers need reliable places that work. This does te

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Tom B
Reviewed August 11, 2010

My husband and I found this hotel on roomsaver.com and it definently appreared to be a good deal. I was not prepared for just how great a deal it was. the rate was great even if we didn't have the coupon it was very reasonable. We drove all the way from connecticut and were very tired when we arrived in the afternoon and they were able to get us an early check-in which was extremely helpful after a 6+ hour trip. They gave us a room with 2 queen beds since my mother was traveling with us. i was suprised that they had 2 queens as some hotels only offer 2 double beds. The front desk staff was very helpful and professional, they had a decent knowledge of the local area restaurants and what they didn't know they were more than happy to look up online for us. The breakfast buffet was good, there was only one lady working in the dining room and she seemed to be very busy. the breakfast was only 7am-10am, we missed breakfast the first day but got to it the second day. If the breakfast went to at least 11 or 12 it would be nice for those on vacation, who wants to be up at 7am for breakfast when your supposed to be on vacation. Did not get a chance to go to the pool but it looked beautiful, the area around the pool is nicely landscaped, the pool was open from 10am-10pm. Next time were in the area we will definently stay again, they definently proved why Best Western is a great hotel chain to stay with.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2010

This hotel is a nice place to stop if you're visiting George Mason University. It's less than two miles away from the campus, and there are a couple of good restaurants right across the street. The suburban location is quite nice- there's a pharmacy nearby in case you need anything for the night. The hotel rooms are a bit dated, but clean, and well-equipped with a nice fridge, microwave, and desk (the bathroom was the part which looked oldest, but everything worked and it was pretty clean). They even manage to squeeze in a comfy chair and ottoman. The beds are average, and fairly comfortable, but I didn't get the best sleep ever. Various little lights in the room are distracting. I think we ended up unplugging the hairdryer because it had the light that blinked all the time. The pool, which I don't think was even open yet, looked very clean. Breakfast was chaos. A large group was there when I showed up, and it didn't look like the hotel was ready for it. Well, maybe the variety was just that poor. All I saw was a couple pitchers of juice, one large carton of milk, and some cereal. I had to ask for lowfat milk. There, was only one woman working in the breakfast room; I think she could've used some help, and so could the breakfast itself. Next time, I think I'll go to the Dennys across the street. All staff were friendly and helpful. Overall, this hotel is a nice option.

• Stayed: April 2010