“Great lobster roll, and the fritters are heaven!”
Review of Coastal Flats

Coastal Flats
Ranked #2 of 425 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Coming back home, my wife and I were looking for a place that had a good lobster roll. Well Coastal Flats had that and a whole lot more! Tucked in near Fair Oaks Mall, in a fabulous town center, my wife had her concerns. She doesn't like chain restaurants. Well this establishments food is all prepared fresh, so fresh, they don't allow to-go orders! Fritters were out of this world, with a sauce to die for! Corn salsa with a red pepper sauce, a super light breading that was devoid of any grease what so ever! Lobster bisque was tasty and ripe with lobster. Her shrimp cocktail was an interesting dish, almost a civeche, which made it even fresher and better! Her Smoked Salmon was cooked perfectly and couldn't have had anymore flavor than what that chef imparted to it! The lobster roll dish, for 19 dollars, was packed with lobster and delicious, a bargain compared to other places we have gone. See Alexa on the deck for a key lime martini! She, and the rest of the staff, are knowledgeable and attentive, which is a pleasure when you are trying a place for the first time. Chain or no Chain, Coastal Flats is at the top of our dining list from now on, and will frequent it regularly!

Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

We had heard about this place while staying in Fairfax so we decided to check it out. The area where the restaurant was located reminded us of cute little town square. Parking was an issue (some spots mark 1 hr others 2hrs). I had called earlier in the day about reservations, which they dont take. The nice girl on the phone asked what time we maybe there and told me to call 45 minutes before we were coming to put us on wait list. We actual forgot to call and ended up calling on the way there she said not to worry and put us in. We arrived gave our name and we were seated right away. I enjoyed the atmosphere and wait staff. The worked as a team and backed each other. Even when taking orders which was great. Were were given these cute little rolls which reminded us of more of warm donut holes sweet and warm. The calamari had a good spiciness and I had the smoked salmon which melted in your mouth. The portions were wonderful. Enough to share of each others plates. This place was great for families or a couple like us .

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We went on a Friday night around 5:30 and didn't have to wait for a table and the service was great. I had the Grilled Chicken & Havarti Cheese sandwich with fries and I have to say it was amazing. I would definitely eat here again.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Me and my co-students from my medschool in Denmark and some american friends of mine went there to grab a beer while waiting 20 minutes for our movie to start at the nearby cinema. As we are european we have different ID-cards and the woman behind the bar wouldnt accept it, only passports. This is not unfamiliar to us so we had diet coke while our american friends had beers. There was only two bar chairs available so some of us were standing, and my friend asked me to hold her beer as she dropped her wallet on the floor.

I held the beer, NOT drinking it, and the bartender who refused our IDs came up to me instantly and yelled "You cant drink that!" and pointed at my face. I explained and told her I was only holding it, but she interrupted me and repeated "you cant drink it!". I gave the beer back to my friend (who had picked up her wallet), and the americans told us to tell the manager that this bartender was being very rude towards me.
So this american friend of mine went to the manager and told him that she was being rude and interrupting me, and he walked to the bartender, told her something, laughed and then they both looked at us and some other bartenders came, they chatted and looked at us again and giggled.
This is not how you treat customers. I feel like I was treated like a 17 year old brat while in reality I was a 24 year old peaceful medicine student just having a diet coke. We werent making trouble or anything, we just stood there and chatted like normal people.

In addition we were trying to eat there prior to that episode - we got seated and we sat there for 45 minutes waiting to order, not even getting drinks. I felt like I was being ignored because we were younger than the average customer at Coastal Flats.

Im never going there again, Im sure their food is great but their customer service is beyond terrible.

2  Thank Chj F
Reviewed September 10, 2013

While enjoying very tasty grouper fingers we noticed the appetizer ordered never came. We brought it to the waiters attention and the manager as well as the waiter immediately apologized and offered to comp the dish as well as dessert. Good food and great customer service.