“Excellent Food - Long Wait...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Coastal Flats

Coastal Flats
Ranked #2 of 417 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Miramar, Florida
“Excellent Food - Long Wait...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

While visiting Virginia and Washington last week, my wife found this place online. We called to see about reservations and all they offered was "call ahead" for 2.5 hours seating time from the time we called. When we arrived about 1 hour and 45 minutes later, we were told we could not be seated until the exact "call ahead" time had elapsed. People walking in the door, without having called, were being told 2 hour wait times. Now, this was on Valentine's Day evening, so the wait might have been longer than usual. The interior of the restaurant is very cozy and inviting. Not too brightly lit, but just right. Once seated, service was excellent. The waitress was courteous, prompt and attentive. Now, let me tell you about the table bread. OMG, this was delicious. It tasted like a hot donut. Combine that with the honey butter and we couldn't eat enough of it. My wife had the BLUE CRAB & ROCK SHRIMP FRITTERS, while I had the LOBSTER BISQUE. We also shared the DEVILED EGGS W. SPICED PECANS & SUGAR CURED BACON. All were excellent. For the main course I had the CRAB CAKE & FILET MIGNON cooked to Medium. Wow, delicious. For dessert we ordered the WARM WHITE CHOCOLATE BREAD PUDDING. A perfect dining experience all around. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 rating was due to the long wait time and lack of reservations. I do plan on returning to this restaurant next time I'm in Virginia.

• Visited February 2013

Mersin, Turkey
“Worth visiting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

It is a nice restaurant to try if you are in Fairfax, Virginia.
The premises are nicely decorated.
The service is friendly. Prices are reasonable.

• Visited January 2013
Oak Hill,Virginia
“Ok...sorry to say Coastal is losing it's Shine.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Ok...just went today after not visiting for a while. Sorry to say I found the same results from my last visit. Service has gone down hill, they use to be so attentive....no more. We ordered the calamari with the sweet spicy dressing, portion was smaller and was much spicier than it use to be....too much. I ordered the chopped salad with grilled salmon. The buttermilk dressing was always one of my favorites, however this time it tasted watered down, the salad mix seemed different, and portion smaller....bummer! I asked for grilled salmon...it turned out to be a smokey grilled salmon....was never told it was going to be smokey, a turn off for me. The waiter should have told me it was smokey!. After many visits to Coastal I'm afraid we will be avoiding it now...such a shame...was one of the best restaurants in the area. Did they change hands recently with new ownership...could that be it? I would have complained but my husband didn't want to make a fuss.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank sidediva
Springfield, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, but noisy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Like other Great American restaurants, Coastal Flats provides imaginative food based on the particular restaurant's theme. Fish reigns here - yet there are other menu items for the less adventurous - and food is nicely done. Service is usually on a team basis and is attentive. My only complaint is that it is a noisy restaurant - large dining room with high ceilings and not much to absorb noise.

VA
“No specials”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Food tastes great.. service and bar scene is great but they don't have any specials. $$$$ No lunch specials and no happy hour specials.

Visited January 2013