“Good food but somewhat drab atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Villa Mozart

Villa Mozart
Reserve with OpenTable
Villa Mozart is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 417 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, Italian, European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Main Street (Route 236)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good food but somewhat drab atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

This was my third visit in three years. I have always found the food choices interesting and the taste excellent. There is an Austrian/Italian influence to the cooking because of the chef's training and some items are listed on the menu only in German or Italian. The portions are small as you might expect in a gourmet restaurant, with a price tag of $124 for 2 before tax (including 2 glasses of wine and the prix fixe meal--which just means pick one item from each course). The cream of asparagus soup (an Austrian specialty) was set off nicely with pieces of scallops. The smoked prosciutto with "speck" (bacon) and artichoke was presented in a lovely two-part dish and tasted very good. The rack of lamb, while not the best I've ever had, was succulent and cooked just as I like it. The gnocchi with sausage were good but not outstanding. The wine by the glass selection is extremely limited. The service was not that impressive and our waiter disappeared after bringing us our wine and someone else took over, without checking on how we liked the meal. I remembered the restaurant as having more character and atmosphere than it has now. Although the restaurant is housed in an old house, it doesn't have a lot of character. We were seated in a quiet room with no color on the walls and no art work--just a room. Not my idea of a great atmosphere.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank cfuller603

Chantilly, Virginia
“Magnifico!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

We met some "foodie" friends who have been raving about this place. We soon found out why. We started off casual with drinks and took some time to just catch up. They have an excellent wine selection and fully stocked bar. They brought us some cheesy bread sticks that were impossible not to nibble on. The saltiness went well with our drinks. We finally ordered some appetizers; the Speck (Smoked Prosciutto tray) and the Salmon Tar Tar. The Speck was an awesome plate that contained thinly slices cheese with the prosciutto. It was delicious. My wife ordered the Angnello, (Rack of lamb) and I ordered the Black and white chitarra (guitar spaghetti) with baby clams, sea scallops, shrimp, Savoy cabbage and black Norcia truffle. The food was cooked perfectly and was so delicious that I wanted to like the plate. I asked for more bread so that I could mop up what was left of the sauce. If you are around the Fairfax area, you need to make a reservation. Our friends ordered the Risotto Ollo (Maine lobster risotto) and the Gnocchi which were outstanding as well.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank John R
washington dc
“fresh pasta”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

We ate here for dinner it was really fresh pasta very nice atmosphere white tablecloth dress up a little no jeans I feel more comfortable in a button down ... Pasta is amazingly fresh all ingradient are excellent high quality. Dinner was excellent wine is a little bit expensive I totally recommend this restaurant for a couple

Visited April 2014
2 Thank drjonesphd
USA
“Exceptional value for lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

My friend and I celebrated her birthday with a lovely 3 course lunch. The quiet atmosphere was conducive for conversation and we had a lovely table near a window. The service was excellent and the food was delicious but somehow my reservation was lost. Fortunately, the restaurant was not crowded so we were seated in a nice area. We have been there at least 3 times and have always had a great experience.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank twotravels
Virginia
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

We live near Fairfax and have wanted to try Villa Mozart for a long time. We love good food, creative presentation, and a quiet intimate type restaurant so we looked forward to a great experience. As far as the food, Villa Mozart did not disappoint. The menu is limited but the courses we chose were presented beautifully and tasted wonderful. For appetizers, My husband had the lobster bisque and I chose the one with beets and goat cheese, both were delicious. Courses were served at a slow pace so we didn't feel rushed. Unfortunately we will not return to Villa Mozart for the following reasons.

There is a very small parking lot behind the restaurant that is entered by a very narrow alley that is easy to miss unless you know its there. When we arrived around 7:30 there were no parking spots available. We drove around the block several times till we saw someone leaving and we finally got a spot. We didn't know what other parking options were available so a sign suggesting alternate parking lots would have been very helpful.

We entered the restaurant on time for our 7:30 reservation. There was no one to greet us. There were 3 waiters bustling around the area but no one even made eye contact with us. Finally one waiter said something about "just a minute" but nothing happened after that and no additional eye contact. We didn't time it but I would think we were standing there in the hallway for a good 5 minutes feeling like we were invisible. We finally decided to leave and did so. As we were getting in our car, a waiter came running after us saying that they had prepared our table for us? he expressed surprise that no one had asked us if we had a reservation; however he was one of the waiters who walked by us numerous times in the hall without looking at us!

The restaurant is small, and many reviewers say it is quiet and romantic. We found it to be very noisy and too well lit to feel romantic. Perhaps that was because we went on a Saturday night and it was busier than usual with several groups talking loudly. There was another smaller dining room with 4 or 5 tables in a different area, maybe that is the quiet, romantic dining room?

So unfortunately we won't try Villa Mozart again. There aren't many fine dining options close by so we were hoping that we would love it and want to return.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank dsarah

Been to Villa Mozart? Share your experiences!