“Not great”

Ranked #49 of 428 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Established in 1977, Captain Pell's Fairfax Crabhouse specializes in serving the freshest, meatiest, steamed, blue crabs in the area. Captain Pell's offers an authentically unique crab house experience. Join us for quality seafood and excellent service. We offer three crab sizes, by the dozen or all-you-can-eat! Come by Captain Pell's and let us bring the great taste of the sea to your table.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My one visit to this restaurant ended soon after we entered. The overwhelming smell of crab and the piles of crab leavings on nearby tables made my stomach do a 180. This place is popular and I am sure crab lovers love it, but it was all a bit too much for me.

1  Thank sailingboat

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We finally checked this place out last night. All we wanted was crab, some shrimp, and some raw oysters. We got there early around 5 since we were already on that side of town. Thinking we would beat the rush the server (who has worked there since the beginning) said that this is the off season as far as business is concerned and that it starts picking up in March and goes to October. We love crab anytime.
We decided to get the dozen large instead of the the all you can eat. The crab were nice sized for the all you can eat but we decided more return on our work and we could get more if we wanted. They came to the table fast and hot! The 1/2 pound of shrimp were very nice sized. I got a dozen oysters (wife does not eat them), and well priced and delicious.
This place has been around for over 14 years and has moved once. It is what it is. A place to sling crab. Thats what people come here to do. The place could be cleaner, which the bathrooms were clean. Again just remember this is a place to slap around crab as well as other seafood and drink some brew. We will go back had a great time eating crab and enjoying time with my bride.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

This was such a great place. I had always wanted to try the Chesapeake Bay Crabs and it was all that I had imagined. The waiter was great. I had to ask him how the heck to eat the crabs. We got the Crab Feast-all the crabs you can eat and all the napkins you need to wipe your face up.
This was just a down to earth working man's crab house. Don't pass this up if you are in the area. We drove from Arlington Va to this Fairfax Va and it was worth the drive.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

If you don't feel like travelling to the Eastern Shore of Maryland, Cpt. Pell's has fresh, well-seasoned crabs and other seafood. Its a bit pricy but it seems that its market price offered.

Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Ok. I'll will admit that Captain Pell's is a no frills restaurant, but they have blue crab year round, plus king and snow crab. I have been going to this place for years and it is a favorite of my wife. This is a place to eat crab and have a few beers period. It is pricey but in their defense this place isn't near the crabbing grounds. This is for crab lovers period and available year round. They get my vote.

1  Thank Jay J