“Good Reasonable Restaurant”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Since Florida doesn't have good authentic Japanese restaurant, where normally I would give it 3 stars, I am now giving it 4 stars. The place is authentic enough to warrant a 4 star though not in the level of other Japanese restaurants around here. It reminds me little of Sapporo Izakaya of NYC though not in their league. They offer you dishes of the day in Japanese so one gets more than on the regular menu. If you are interested, you may want to ask them to translate some for you. You might want to try Kabuto, head of a fish. You might try fried oysters or vegetable croquette. I usually have one or the other bentos on the regular menu or Chirashi. Sometimes from the hand written board. They are pretty good though wish old Sushi Taro was still around in DC. The new menu I might try one of these days when I have extra cash to spare.

Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

This cozy restaurant feels like a familiar, friendly neighborhood bistro, where you can return repeatedly for favorite foods and comfort foods. Yet, the place provides unusual selections of appetizers and entres as well. Some selections require advanced reservation and preparation. Not many Japanese restaurants are authentic. This one is.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Located in a dumpy strip mall,this sushi restaurant lacks ambiance but makes up for it with broad selection,very good food,friendly service and reasonable prices.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

There are two kinds of restaurant-goers. One group finds a few favorite restaurants to which they always return and a second group prefers to keep trying new restaurants and so rarely patronize a restaurant more than once. I’m usually in the second group, but I make an exception for Blue Ocean, which is my favorite Japanese restaurant in the area (not that there is much competition). I’ve been going to Blue Ocean for years, and I recently returned after a long absence caused by an assignment in Europe. While the food and atmosphere were still good, some of its delightful idiosyncrasies were no longer in evidence.

I’ve heard the owner hails from the southern Japanese island of Okinawa, where I also spent my childhood. The restaurant used to offer Orion beer, which is from Okinawa, but it no longer does so. Okinawan cuisine also favors pork, including pigs feet soup, and bitter melon (goya). I recall that the menu included some Okinawan dishes, but no longer. The dishes might have appeared on a chalk board, no longer in evidence, on which daily specials were posted. Very much on the plus side, however, the menu provides the possibility of dining on kamameshi, okonomiyaki, and shabu shabu, including chanko nabe (which sumo wrestlers eat to fatten up), with enough advance notice. All of these typically Japanese dishes are extremely uncommon in the U.S.

I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed with the combo set that I ordered, with beef teriyaki and tempura. The beef was tender and had a nice grilled flavor, but the teriyaki sauce had not been thickened as is done in most restaurants. It was authentic, a combination of soy sauce and brown sugar, just like in Japan. Interestingly, the dish came with a side of nicely prepared broccoli and French fries. I thought that was a real indicator that a Japanese operates the restaurant, because a side of French fries would not be unexpected in Japan with a youshoku (Western) dish like beef, but rarely shows up as part of the meal at a Japanese restaurant in the U.S. I also thought the oil for the tempura was not fresh, so that it affected the flavor of the tempura crust. Our gyoza appetizer was also good, but it probably came out of a good package of frozen prepared ones. My daughter liked her gyudon.

My guess is that the yakisoba and ramen must be very good, and I’ll definitely be back to give them a try, as well as some of the fancier dishes. Our tab came to $74 with tip for the three of us.

1  Thank Mike U
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We love the ramen and the lunch specials, which allow you to select from a variety of options, including sushi, sashimi, chicken, salmon, etc... all served with rice, salad, etc. Very fresh and tasty.

1  Thank ReiseLust_23