“Staple Thai Restaurant in Fairfax” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Arlington, VA
“Staple Thai Restaurant in Fairfax”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Back when I used to work in Fairfax, Sakoontra was the staple Thai restaurant for work lunches - and even the occasional dinner.

In the past three months, I had the opportunity to eat lunch there on two occasions. The restaurant is as it ever was. The food is tasty - even perhaps a bit spicy for some palates. My preference with Thai food is curry dishes, so I ate beef and chicken dishes on my respective visits. I usually order a thai ice tea as well.

There is nothing particularly remarkable about Sakoontra, but it still feels like a step above some other Thai restaurants in the Fairfax area. It is a more than adequate place of lunch or even a small dinner, but I would not classify it as fine dining by any stretch, although in fairness I have not ventured into their more fancy dishes.

Also, as a bit of trivia, Sakoontra and Thai Farm in Rockville are related.

• Visited March 2013

“definitely going back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Went to Sakoontra during Christmas shopping mid afternoon. Just wanted a quick snack - and we ate everything. Great selections for Vegetarians - choices without fish sauce. I had the best green beans - spicy - absolutely gigantic and it will be difficult for me to order other selections since this was just delicious. My dining partner visits Thailand on a regular basis so he is knows how Thai food tastes firsthand. He had the Tamarind chicken which he enjoyed. He also raves about this place. I have already told my daughter if she comes to visit Virginia, we are taking her here. It is probably a better location for famiies without young children since it is a large open space, so noises will carry throughout. I have not tried the takeout so I cannot comment on how the food transports - but my beans had a crispy texture, and I would think that it may lose that texture if placed in a take out container, which might account for the complaints about the soggy texture in some reviews.

• Visited December 2012
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great food, lots of vegetarian options, fun atmosphere and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We went there in December 2012 for my birthday and in January for a birthday dinner for a friend. We had a wonderful evening, the food was great, the service excellent and the prices very reasonable with large portions. If you are vegetarian, the vegetarian menu items do not have fish sauce. If you stray from the vegetarian options menu, ask your server to make sure there is no fish sauce in your entree. The staff is very concerned about making sure vegetarians are taken care of. Also, if you wish to have less oil in your dish, you can request this as well. The food is freshly prepared and is hot when it arrives.

• Visited January 2013
Lorton, Virginia
“Fish oil in EVERYTHING!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

I had specifically asked for a dish without fish oil. The waiter suggested a dish without it so I tried it out. When I got my food, it had a lot of fish oil. I kindly asked the waiter if I could send it back for another dish. He brought another one out and said it was made with fish oil. Sure enough, I had the same issue again. I sen the dish back and the I got the check with both dishes charged to me. I had one bite from each dish and sent it back because it was not made correctly the way I had requested. The manager was not willing to waive the charge of the dish. I left the restaurant hungry and ended up eating fast food. Worst experience and service ever.

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Fairfax
“Bad food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

The pad Thai noodles were overlooked, slimy and didn't taste like pad Thai. The chicken satay was dry and the peanut sauce horrible. The green curry was watery and again, the chicken was dry. It must have been reheated. What a waste of money.

Visited August 2012