“Old reliable, but service is not very consistent”

Outback Steakhouse on Braddock
Ranked #299 of 421 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
fairfax
“Old reliable, but service is not very consistent”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We've eaten here hundreds of times over the years, and at one time went weekly without fail -- but the waitpersons are not nearly as consistent as they used to be. The little greeter women at the front are sometimes snooty teenagers, and the table service is not always what it should be.

As always at Outback, the food is fine. We're big fans of the Outback Special sirloin and are almost always satisfied.

Atmosphere: subdued lighting, typical Outback decor, lots of booths available.

Visited August 2012

Fairfax, Virginia
“Mediocre food, worse service”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

One has to be rather skeptical of a chain restaurant that pretends to have an Australia connection when it has none at all, and when Australia in fact has no real reputation for grilling steak. However, the choice of steak house in Fairfax is quite limited, and this particular restaurant is twice as close (at 2 miles) than the next closest Outback (4 miles from my house). The only other restaurant that specializes in steaks in the area is Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, which provides an entirely different experience in terms of price, quality, and ambience. Nonetheless, after my latest experience, I will not return to Outback. Maybe I’ll just go down the road to Brion’s Grille for the BBQ Bourbon rib-eye or the 8-ounce top sirloin.

The Outback on Braddock always seems quite popular, but takes no reservations. We thought we could get around this by calling in. The girl who answered put down our names and told me that we should have a table in 35 minutes. When we arrived at the restaurant, however, she said our names weren’t on her list and she was now writing down our names. And again, we should have a table in 35 minutes. I suspect, in fact, that she never puts down the name of any call-ins, and just lies about doing so.

For some reason, the restaurant is always crowded and noisy (hence the long wait for a table). Our waiter arrived promptly and brought our drinks. When the server brought the food, we told him we didn’t need anything else. I did later decide I wanted some Worcestershire sauce, but the waiter never returned until quite late in the meal when he refilled our water glasses, which had stood empty for quite a while. He took even longer to refill my daughter’s glass with Coke. Our food was fine, and I will even say that my sweet-potato fries were cooked perfectly, flavorful and crisp, not soggy.

Overall, however, the Outback on Braddock is a dreary place, with no sense of class and a desire to move customers quickly in and out, like cattle.

• Visited December 2012
“Great steaks”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Have been to this Outback many times. Food in generally very good and the service can be hit or miss. Curbside take-away is a great option if you don't feel like waiting for a table on the weekends :)

Visited August 2012
Fairfax, Virginia
“Some things good but most average...it's Outback!”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Had the lamb for the first time in awhile and was a tab over-cooked. The sides were noticeably salty but I suspect that's why they sell beer! Certainly no surprises with efficient but seemingly forced hospitality.

• Visited May 2012
Annandale, Virginia
“Default choice”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

This is where my family and I go whenever we want to celebrate something. I recommend the Bloomin' Onion and Gingerbread Martini (only available certain times of the year).

Visited March 2012