“Mediocre food, worse service”

Outback Steakhouse on Braddock
Ranked #296 of 416 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children
Fairfax, Virginia
“Mediocre food, worse service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

One has to be rather skeptical of a chain restaurant that pretends to have an Australia connection when it has none at all, and when Australia in fact has no real reputation for grilling steak. However, the choice of steak house in Fairfax is quite limited, and this particular restaurant is twice as close (at 2 miles) than the next closest Outback (4 miles from my house). The only other restaurant that specializes in steaks in the area is Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, which provides an entirely different experience in terms of price, quality, and ambience. Nonetheless, after my latest experience, I will not return to Outback. Maybe I’ll just go down the road to Brion’s Grille for the BBQ Bourbon rib-eye or the 8-ounce top sirloin.

The Outback on Braddock always seems quite popular, but takes no reservations. We thought we could get around this by calling in. The girl who answered put down our names and told me that we should have a table in 35 minutes. When we arrived at the restaurant, however, she said our names weren’t on her list and she was now writing down our names. And again, we should have a table in 35 minutes. I suspect, in fact, that she never puts down the name of any call-ins, and just lies about doing so.

For some reason, the restaurant is always crowded and noisy (hence the long wait for a table). Our waiter arrived promptly and brought our drinks. When the server brought the food, we told him we didn’t need anything else. I did later decide I wanted some Worcestershire sauce, but the waiter never returned until quite late in the meal when he refilled our water glasses, which had stood empty for quite a while. He took even longer to refill my daughter’s glass with Coke. Our food was fine, and I will even say that my sweet-potato fries were cooked perfectly, flavorful and crisp, not soggy.

Overall, however, the Outback on Braddock is a dreary place, with no sense of class and a desire to move customers quickly in and out, like cattle.

• Visited December 2012

“Great steaks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Have been to this Outback many times. Food in generally very good and the service can be hit or miss. Curbside take-away is a great option if you don't feel like waiting for a table on the weekends :)

Visited August 2012
Fairfax, Virginia
“Some things good but most average...it's Outback!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

Had the lamb for the first time in awhile and was a tab over-cooked. The sides were noticeably salty but I suspect that's why they sell beer! Certainly no surprises with efficient but seemingly forced hospitality.

• Visited May 2012
Annandale, Virginia
“Default choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

This is where my family and I go whenever we want to celebrate something. I recommend the Bloomin' Onion and Gingerbread Martini (only available certain times of the year).

Visited March 2012
“Could have been better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

I had not been to the Outback on Braddock until the other night. My husband and I both got ribs. They were just okay. Mine were tough and the sauce was mediocre. His were more tender...neither were "fall off the bone delicious". We usually go to the Outback down by Union Mill Road...their ribs have always been delicious. I've also been to an Outback in Rehoboth, DE...again delicious....I won't go back to the one on Braddock.

The best place for ribs, in my opinion, are the Great American Restaurants (Arties, Mikes, Silverados), Brion's Grille, and Champs at Fair Oaks Mall.

The best place for steak (I only eat rib eye/delmonico)...again, my opinion, is Logan's at Fair Lakes and I have been to Ruth Chris' and Outback...sorry, Logan's beats them solely on the quality/taste of the rib eye.

Visited February 2012