“Great selection of quality food.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating
Patterson, California
“Great selection of quality food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

This buffet is huge....it has many selections of both hot and cold food, as well as a very large seating area that can accomodate a table for two or a group of 30+. The restaurant is clean and food is tasty and fresh.

Visited April 2012

Fairfax, Virginia
“A fine but plain buffett”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

We've been going to the OCB in the Fair City Mall in Fairfax City for over a dozen years. It's very good for what it purports to be - a buffett serving basic food selections at low prices. That means lots of chicken selections, a very good salad bar, spaghetti and meatloaf on a regular basis, hamburgers and hot dogs and the usual cooked vegetables - corn, carrots and the like. The Mexican table is quite good for those wanting tacos and the like. I appreciate OCB having yoghurt for desert. There's nothing that is creative here for dining and the setting is a big, open room. But that's what a reasonably priced buffett is all about. We've always found the staff to be courteous and helpful. There is plenty of parking at Fair City Mall.

“Bad Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

Over past fifteen years, my family and I have spent many enjoyable hours (not to mention a fair amount of money) at Old Country Buffet in Fairfax, VA restaurant. I know their associates, cook, waiter(s), and etc. and think of them as part of my family, so I was all the more shocked by my incredibly disappointing experience on Saturday 03/10/2012 at 6:40pm.

Here's what happened. My family and I entered their Fairfax location. After waiting for a very long time at register for someone to sit us, my wife, son and I found place to sit and put plates on the table. All of a sudden the manager, Art Green, came to our table angry and start talking loud and very rude to myself and my wife. He then basically kicked us out of restaurant to seat other two couple. His attitude was unprofessional and extremely disappointing. Even worse when I asked to speak to the general manager, Al Sandoval, he came over to us and he did absolutely nothing. One of the cashiers behind the counter apologize for Art Green's behavior and she even (one of your employee) notice how rude he was toward us.

I'm sure you will agree this is not acceptable, especially in a restaurant with this reputation, atmosphere, and cost. I certainly hope that some kind of staff change or other uncommon occurrence is to blame.

Fairfax, Virginia
“It's a Buffet for Heavens Sake!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

I normally find myself reviewing hotels and restaurants I've encountered in my travels...not places a couple of miles away that I've been to for years. But I happened across the Trip Advisor rankings on this Old Country Buffet, was suprised to read all the negatives, and felt like it deserved another positive review from a regular and satisfied customer.

As the previous reviewer observed, this is not gourment food. It's a buffet, for heavens sake. But the variety should satisfy even the most picky child (as it did a great nephew when we took him several weeks ago) and will satisfy most adults. It clearly does... because almost every time we've been there, almost always on weekend evenings, we've had to wait in a line that sometime reaches out the door into the mall..

After twenty years living in the area we know what to expect in the restaurants we visit regularly, and the quality and price of the food at Old Country keeps brings us back. Where else can you get a great salad bar, a taco bar, all manner of seafood and chicken, steak grilled to order, a huge variety of vegetables and starches, dozens of dessert choices, etc. etc. for $12...and kids under 11 eat for half that or less.

I can't say the ambience terribly inviting. Like most buffets, it's a large space with lots of booths for couples and small families, and tables that often get pulled together for larger gatherings. It can be noisy. And then there are the tour busses. During spring break and the summer months the place does a booming business in tour groups. Time it wrong and there might be twenty folks in front of you waiting for a freshly grilled steak. But the line moves along nicely. Management and the help are top notch...bringing out fresh food even before the trays are empty and clearing tables regularly, unobtrusively, and always with a friendly smile.

As I've said, this isn't a five star dining experience, but for what you pay and what you should expect from a buffet, this Old Country should exceed your expecations, not be cause for getting nasty!

1 Thank Stratford64
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good Food and Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

I am writing this review based on the negative posts I have read regarding this restaurant. I have eaten here many times over the years because my Day Spa is nearby, and here are my positive observations:

Positives
Food is fresh, tasty and well prepared
Service is very good with employees quickly clearing tables of used dishes, etc. between helpings, and asking if you need anything -- with a SMILE!
Large selection of items to choose from
Friendly greetings from cashiers upon arrival

Negatives
Parking can be difficult (but that's not the retaurant's fault)
Dining room can get very crowded especially if you go at peak times

Basically, this is a family style value-oriented restaurant. It is not a fine dining establishment. What do you expect from an all you can eat buffet at those prices? I have seen this restaurant continue to improve in both the quality of the food and service. I have yet to be disappointed in either. The place is always packed at lunchtime, dinner and on the weekends for breakfast with families, seniors, etc.. I eat in fine dining establishments on a regular basis all over the D.C. metro area (my job requires entertaining high-end clients), and I am not a food snob. However, when you want basic "home cooking" in a clean casual evironment, this is a good choice. It's hard for me to believe that the negative posters couldn't find ONE decent thing to say about this place!

So for you gripers, if you want fine dining, go to the Ritz in Georgetown, or the Occidential Grill, or any number of other places and be prepared to shell out the $$$$$s!

Bon Appetit!