“Great Bar, Older Crowd” 4 of 5 stars

Blue Iguana
Ranked #101 of 384 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: Halal, American, Fusion
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: For over 21 years, The Blue Iguana has been a fixture here in Fairfax, Virginia. One of the first of the new school of Chef driven restaurants, The Blue Iguana was finally sold by it's first owners, whom have retired, to veteran Clifton & Nargiza Wilcox in August of 2013. Since 2013 a lot of great changes were made. We strive to give every guest the best experience at Blue Iguana. So come have a drink, come have a bite, enjoy the best SUNDAY BRUNCH, BEST HAPPY HOUR and get to know our family of the great staff in Northen Virginia.
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great Bar, Older Crowd”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Ian the bartender makes excellent "sour patch kids" shots. My roommate and I live just up the street and used to go all the time. A good local find to grab a few drinks. The quesadillas are pretty good for bar food, but I've never actually eaten at the restaurant.

Humble, Texas
“Great service, but a miss on the meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Great service and help wait staff helped make the Blue Iguana a enjoyable experience overall, but the food wasn't great. We ordered the 'Crispy Fried Calamari' to start. The calamari was crisp and fresh, yet there was a pool of grease at the bottom of the plate that could have been easily dried before serving - as a result, we ate less than 1/2 the serving. The fish was well prepared, but the tomato ragout was less than appealing. Similarly, the peach cobbler contained fresh peaches, yet the 'cobbler' was more like a big block of spice cake on top of sauteed peaches than actual cobbler.

The restaurant itself is well maintained, clean, and easily accessible. There are some tables on the outside patio for those looking to enjoy the sun. Overall, an average experience.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Fairfax
“Good but not Great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

This was our first visit to the Blue Iguana. The food was good, but certainly nothing to right home about. They have a "stimulus package" special where you choose three courses from a list of preselected items for $19.99. My husband went for that because he felt it was the best deal. I had the spinach salad with chicken. My children had chicken fingers and fries. Everyone had the same reaction to the food - good, but not great. My children said that McDonalds has better chicken fingers and fries. We most likely will not return because there are too many other restaurants in the area to go back to an average one. Also, even though they have a children's menu, you can tell that they don't cater to children (no coloring pages or anything to entertain them while they wait).

• Visited July 2012
Annandale, Virginia
“Nice owner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

The restaurant was average, but the owner seemed nice.

1 Thank Amanda M
Manassas, Virginia
“Great food in a quiet corner of Fairfax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Lunched with a girl friend, and was really impressed with their 3 course lunch special for $9.99 served within 15 min to support the working lunch crowd - my baked cod, jasmine rice, and grilled asparagus were wonderful, the waiter was sensitive and responsive to my concerns over my food allergies, and my request for fruit vs a desert brought a lovely bowl of perfectly cut fresh fruit. It was so good I brought my husband the next night - his macadamia crusted cod with crab risotto was fabulous, my burger was melt-in-you-mouth tender and juicy, and once again they were glad to substitute fresh fruit for the fries that would normally have been served with my meal. I enjoyed a Brooklyn Brown Ale, and my husbands 2010 7 Oaks Cab was surprisingly good (we're usually disappointed over wine when we dine out, but not tonight!) While the food is served beautifully (upscale American), the atmosphere is relaxed, the service is attentive, and the prices won't bust the bank. We enjoyed the original watercolors that are displayed along the walls. The bar was a definite after-work hangout (it was much more crowded even at 6:30pm than the restaurant), and overall had a fun vibe. We'll go again!

Visited March 2012