“Friendly service - awful food”

P J Skidoos Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 428 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Maybe they had a very off night, but we went this past Saturday and the food was awful. The chicken in the greek sandwich was overcooked, the chipotle pasta dish had no flavor and was mushy, the rockfish special with shrimp was tasteless and the BBQ ribs were dry...even the french fries were boring. The only two entrees that were good were the Alaskan King Crab legs and the lobster - but they only required a dunk in boiling water... I really wanted to give this place a good review as our waiter was attentive and efficient and the place has a nice friendly pub feel.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

My daughter graduated high school last night. We entertained our family at PJ Skidoos. The experience was precisely what I had in mind; an excellent job.

This review is not so much about the food as the ambiance. Often, what I am after in a restaurant is a social opportunity. In specific, conversation. In this case, I wanted to sit with my brother, who I had not spoken to at length. Our server, Michael (Mike), made this happen.

When my brother arrived with his school age children, I asked Mike to bring around French Fries. They were a huge hit with the 2nd grade and 6th grade crowd. So much so, that my the graduate and her 10th grade brother asked why they hadn't gotten any. Mike again produced two bowls, with ketchup in cups, which were promptly consumed.

The staff made every effort to plan our event, which was simply a party of twelve seated at two tables. Every time we called to ask questions, they resolved our query to our favor. For example, they allowed us to bring in a Carvel ice cream cake.

I have not seen the bill, but I am not concerned. I thought the staff was in tune with the guests, and brought a sense of service that we much appreciate.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

The outdoor seating area has a bar and a few tables and was okay for our large group. It was loud, so I couldn't hear much beyond what was said by the persons right next to me. If you don't like cigarette smoke, choose your seat with care to avoid the cigarette smoke. I found it very annoying that 4 guys with a cloud of cigarette smoke hanging around them were blocking the exit from the seating/bar area,to get to my car. The so-called fresh vegetables that accompanied my seafood dish had been previously frozen. They certainly were not fresh. So, unless they deal with the smoking problem and vegetables, I will not be back.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Had a classic irish pub ambiance and good food. Dark wood and a full bar. This is a local favorite. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank jlspencer
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great food at a great price. I have passed this restaurant for years, and just recently stop in for lunch, and then dinner, and I think I just found my new favorite restaurant. The short ribs are great as well is the London broil, don't forget to try the French onion soup.