“So New and Yet Showing Signs of Age???”

Angelika Film Center
Ranked #1 of 11 Fun & Games in Fairfax
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is my second visit to the Angelika theatre at the Mosaic in Merrifield. My family is excited to have a movie theatre back in this location and one that offers reserved seats is even more exciting. Sadly, though, tonight the experience was mediocre. This afternoon we saw "Lincoln" and the theatre was full. It wasn't "chaos" but there were lines for tickets, food, and drinks. My husband and I shared a bottle of red wine (cost about $40) and the kids had water and popcorn. We sat in the seats that we reserved earlier on-line with no issues. We all enjoyed the movie and then needed to use the restroom at the end of the movie. The ladies room was in BAD shape. Toilet paper was all over the floor, trashcans in individual stalls were overflowing with trash, paper towel holders were empty and the dispenser door open, water was on the floor and the overall appearance was simply unacceptable. Hey! I don't mind paying $40 for a bottle of wine, but I do want to go to the bathroom in a restroom that is clean and tidy.

I asked one of the very busy ticket takers where I could find a manager (It's now 7pm and very busy) and her reply was, "I don't think there is a manager available right now." The poor girl was so busy she couldn't even look at me. I fault her not at all; she was doing her job. I went downstairs and caught the eye of a cafe manager and I mentioned to her that the ladies room was in severe need of a cleaning. She thanked me for letting her know but also was too busy to really address the situation or me. I added that this theatre was too new to be looking so shabby. As we walked out, it was obvious that they were severely under-staffed this night and needed more hands on deck. The entire place just looked sort of shabby.

Seeing a movie at the Angelika is a fun experience and but let's hope Management steps up, hires some more folks, and keeps the place up to the standards of $40 bottles of wine and $15 movie tickets.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I am giving this a poor rating instead of terrible as this theater does show more than the usual drivel. It also does offer some interesting food choices. There did not appear to be anywhere to sit outside the theater aside from a few bar seats. The venue does waste a lot of space to appear architecturally interesting, One is allowed to take their alcoholic beverage into the theater. This could ugly up this theater later.
The reserve seating is a mess. First, it sold me a seat that did not exist Second, after I got a new seat from the concierge, I went into the theater and got settled. About 15 minutes into the new film (the other show was sold out), a couple came in and stated we were in their seats. This time we refused to move. The couple sat down in the seats next to us and then left. I assume to get new seats or ??? After a while, the seat became very uncomfortable, There are older theaters in the area with more comfortable seats at a more reasonable price.
To their credit, the theater did give us new seats in another theater and vouchers to see another show for free later. But, unless the theater is showing something that is not available at other theaters, I will not be back. The price and discomfort of the seats is not worth it,

1  Thank suchagirl
Reviewed January 3, 2013

An earlier reviewer noted that a film at Angelika started late, so I wasn’t too surprised that a film hadn’t started when I arrived a few minutes late to see Anna Karenina. The previews started about ten minutes after the movie’s scheduled start but, oddly, the lights weren’t dimmed until the third trailer. Then, when the movie did start, it was the wrong film! The manager came in, apologized, and said he was trying to get the correct film. The films are evidently controlled from a central location, however, so the fix was apparently not so simple. After I waited an hour, I gave up and got my ticket refunded.

I’m not a diehard “Cinema Arts Theater” fan like another reviewer who strongly panned Angelika, but this really terrible experience would discourage me from returning. Unfortunately, perhaps under pressure of Angelika’s competition, Cinema Arts (which is basically across the street from my house, or just a mile away) seems to be screening more mainstream movies and fewer of the indies, documentaries, and other “art house” films that it used to. Angelika was the only theater showing Anna Karenina in Northern Virginia as well as two very interesting foreign language films (one German and another French). Unfortunately, I have no option but to keep patronizing Angelika.

I do wish, however, that Angelika would stop assigning seats. I’m accustomed to it, from living in Europe for several years, but I never did like the practice while I was in Europe. Moreover, patrons seem to ignore the seat assignments, and it actually seems rather un-American to deny a free choice of seats to customers. That alone would ensure that, if the same film is showing at Angelika and Cinema Arts, I would opt for the latter.

1  Thank Mike U
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We went here because it was the only place playing something different than the usual blockbuster fare. The ticket line was unexpectedly long for a pre-noon show but it moved quickly. The reserved seats were an unexpected bonus. The food options looked interesting but I only got the old standby, popcorn (good!).

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We were excited to learn of the Angelika Film Center in Fairfax, VA, as it sounded similar to a movie theatre we visited in Del Mar, CA. The Angelika is very nice, with comfy stadium seats that you can choose and reserve online, an efficient ticketing system, and a limited food menu plus beer and wine along with a good variety of shows. However, we were hoping for the "Cineapolis Luxury Cinema" experience we had out West. Big recliners, small tables with little dim lights next to each chair (to read the menu), wide aisles so you never have to move for someone entering or exiting your aisle, online reserved seating, and waitress service for drinks and food during the whole movie! It was fabulous and we are hoping someone in the NoVA area will pick up on it and provide it here - Angelika you are on your way! (While the Angelika was $12/senior ticket + a service charge, the Cineapolis was about $20.00 - but a far more luxurious and relaxing and fun night out!)