“The Monday Hamburger Special”

Dogfish Head Alehouse
Ranked #11 of 421 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Alexandria, Virginia
“The Monday Hamburger Special”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We arrived for lunch and were told about the $2 off all hamburgers for Mondays. What was amazing was the "Surf and Turf" burger.....half pound of ground beef with a nice crab cake. Julian, our server was very helpful, cheerful, and knew about all the beers that were on tap. In fact, while we were looking at the beer list, someone came by to let us try one of the beers featured.
We both ordered the Surf and Turf, and I have to tell you, it kicks BUTT! The crab cake had very little filler if it had any at all, and I saw lumpmeat.
If you like beer, this already is a great place.
But this burger takes this place up two more notches!

• Visited April 2014

charlottesville, va
“Excellent beer -- food just ok”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We ate here last week while in town. The beers are great! The sampler is a great way to try new options and taste the seasonal beer on tap. The food is just ok. Sports bar atmosphere but does have a decent kids menu.

• Visited April 2014
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great Beer, Good Food”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

My wife and I brought our daughter and her roommate to Dogfish Head Alehouse for lunch. The girls both had burgers, a barbecue burger and a rustic burger, while my wife had a crab cake sandwich. I opted not to choose an entrée, but combined a cup of crab cake soup with a calamari appetizer. The food was hit or miss. My daughter’s roommate had a hamburger that was undercooked, even though she asked for it medium well, so she couldn’t finish it. She thought the hamburger wasn’t cooked through mostly because of its thickness. My wife liked her crab cake sandwich and I thought my crab soup was great, but the calamari was soggy. We ordered a flight of beer samplers, however, which was great. Each beer was quite distinctive, and we had a nice introduction to Dogfish’s offerings.

• Visited March 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Go for the beer, stay for the food!”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I am a craft beer fan, so since I was in the area I wanted to stop. After reading all the positive reviews on tripadvisor, I planned to stay for dinner. I had the Ahi Tuna and it was excellent, they really do a fabulous job on the preparation and flavor. It had a ginger soy glaze over wild rice and I ate just about everything on the plate. Corbin my server was excellent, and we talked local craft beers and gave me some great tips on picking them up. (see below)

I was lucky enough to try several limited release Dogfish Head craft beers (World Wide Stout/18%+ alcohol), along with the flight of several of their regulars and the Apricot seasonal was excellent.

TIP: Pick up your favorite Dogfish Head Ale beers at the Total Wine in the plaza behind the restaurant. Great selection of local craft beers.

• Visited March 2014
“Lots of Crab in soup!”
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

We came here again this last week and were very pleased again.

We were immediately seated and had a very nice waitress.

I ordered the crab soup as I have done a few times before but this time it was covered with crab meat! Absolutely delicious.

My nephew was with us and he wanted the Mac n' cheese but without all the extras on top. They were very accommodating, especially when he wanted to add the bacon back in. He ate the whole thing.