Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks Mall
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Fairfax
Onancock, Virginia
“Good Value -- Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Ended up here reluctantly when my conference hotel was sold out. I had never stayed at this chain before, but had had less than favorable experiences at similar chains. Nice surprise here. Nothing fancy at all (who would expect fancy anyway?). But, the room was clean and comfortable. Great location right at a major mall. Staff was friendly enough (not many, but friendly). Kitchen facilities were great. I would definitely stay here if I had to work in the area for a week or so. Would be better than a regular hotel if you wanted to save money and perhaps cook for yourself. Bed was a bit hard for my taste, but I still slept fine.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

It's a great location, the mall is walking distance and the metro is 2 exits away. The staff was friendly and helpful . Also check in process is very easy . Honestly I was surprised at how good the rooms are.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Abdulrahman M
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

The check in process was a nightmare! Unfortunately, I would later discover that it was the best part of my stay. There are bugs in the filthy room, dirty table tops, filthy kitchen, floor in bathroom was saturated-- despite the fact that I'm a handicapped person in a handicap room? The bed is also filthy. The bedding is cheap, saturated and there is gum on the head board? Dirt on the walls, stains on the carpet, dirty floors in the bathroom, rust/mold on kitchen surfaces, etc. I will update with photos after I find a suitable replacement.

I have to advise that Millie was the one saving grace in this place (and there was only one). She went out of her way to assist me and I would encourage anyone stuck in this place to speak with her.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel. I can offer no better advice.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank hrzregina

Travelers are raving about these Fairfax hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

The hotel smelled of cigarette smoke.

The one elevator had multiple pieces of trash in it.

The first room had dirty silverware in it.

The second room had a busted radio and the phone was disconnected.

We had to leave early due to a family emergency, although We should have left anyways.

Check out was awful. The staff that helped us seemed to be annoyed to do any work.

After we were billed, my girlfriend noticed we had been overcharged, since she's military and should have gotten a better rate.

When I asked for then to alter it, the woman began to whine and protest, but after I showed her my girlfriends military I.D. she finally discounted our bill like we originally had agreed to.

Great way to treat military?

I will never stay in this or this franchises hotel unless some big changes are made to staff and the hotel itself.

Fairfax
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

For the value it's a good deal
I always stay here to save
But I'm fully aware that it won't b the cleanest hotel, other than that I love the location, very well situated in the heart of fairfax in front of sears fair oaks mall

1 Thank Josueswy
McLean, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

I have stayed at two "extended stay america". None of them were good experiences. Honestly I can give this hotel 0 stay without hesitation but considering they saved me from a broken air conditioner, I give them two stars just as generous as I can be...

....Where to start....I had this broken air conditioner and it went so hot that night so I had to sleep outside. It was past 12 am so no priceline or online booking. I know the area was very filled up (my regular SPG/Hyatt would bill me for >$300) so I booked this hotel just for a night filler.

They did the job in a horrible manner.

The guy who checked me in was simply inexperienced. But he was the only guy left alone. It took him ~1.5 hours checking me in. I felt pity for him. Basically, he had no privilege checking me in electronically at all, so he tried and tried and I was there waiting and patiently waiting. I essentially gave him my CC and left for the room after ~1 hr (with another angry guest asking for an extra blanket again and again while this poor front desk kid is failing checking me in).

I was then woken up by the same kid after another 45 minutes -- He brought a blank customer fill in form. Seriously? No, I DO NOT BLAME THIS KID. THE KID WORKED VERY HARD AND TRIED TO SATISFY. THE MANAGEMENT HAD NOT TRAINED THE KID. THEY KNOW ABOUT IT, THEY DIDN'T TELL HIM. THEY DIDN'T GIVE HIM ANY POWER BUT LET HIM BE IN CHARGE OF THE NIGHT. THIS IS SERIOUSLY BAD MANAGEMENT.

The next morning I was woken up at ~10:30 by the front desk manager (which is fine and considerate), and to fill out the form. I confirmed with the front desk manager that the kid could not electronically check me in that night (but the poor kid didn't know).

Now, this is just the bad experience. The "hard product" itself is completely unacceptable. The whole place is just worn down -- except the logo of "Extended stay America". Linens, towels, desk, utensils, all worn. Not very dirty per say but it's so old and worn and the towel is somewhat yellow. Oh, forgot to mention that the whole room smelt Curry (probably some guy cooked Curry here for a long time? Bad idea man! Bad idea!)

I have completely no idea why people rate this place well. Jesus. Open your eyes and stay at a Hyatt or Marriot or Hilton or SPG, or whatever. They don't cost that much more (and they are sometimes a lot cheaper!). And when I see people rate any of these chains 2 stars, I am thinking, how would they rate these "extended stay americas"? minus one stars? It's amusing to think about it...

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank herbertgzb
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

When we arrived, we waited at the front desk for 25 mins for only clerk to arrive back to the front desk. Them she gave us a uncleaned room but she made up for it by upgrading is to a larger room. The upgraded room was nothing special, just larger. The worst thing was the free breakfast. When I checked in and was waiting for the clerk to arrive, I walked around the lobby area looking for the breakfast area. When I asked the clerk where was breakfast served, she said right behind you. I turned around and only saw a bureau. The clerk told me breakfast was served on the top of the bureau. OMG