All reviews free laundry front desk long term home away from home an extended stay laundry room second home nice place to stay long stay customer service is fitness center checking out dc area vanessa cupboard kitchenette dishwasher
Selected filters
Reviewed May 8, 2019

This is an interesting business model - take away the large, cozy lobby, the 24/7 front desk and daily housekeeping. But add very spacious, clean and very comfortable rooms (with a recliner chair, nice touch!) and fully stocked kitchen; free laundry; a large fitness center and indoor pool, and a well stocked pantry with food, drinks and toiletries on the honor system - pack your own bag, fill out a slip and leave it in a box.

Hmm. I must say, I was very surprised by Candlewood Suites! Due to late booking, the Marriott hotels I usually frequent when in the area on business were booked, so thought I would give this a try. The price was about $35-$50 less than the other hotels for the night of my stay. As I said, the room was outstanding. I am a bit of a clean freak, and was not disappointed. The bed was very comfortable, I liked the linens and there were 4 large pillows to choose from. Leila at the front desk was very efficient, despite being alone on a weekday evening, trying to grab phones, make photocopies and check in customers.

Now, I was only there one night. If you're on a long stay, housekeeping only comes once a week. There are vacuums you can check out, fresh towels and linens, etc.

The front desk was closed when I departed for my early flight (they open at 7). I just dropped the keys into a locked box and received the receipt later in email.

The wifi was sluggish, and I work online, so this was an issue. In a standard hotel, if the wifi is bad in the room, you can at least sit in the lobby and work.

This won't be my #1 hotel to stay in when returning to the area on business; I personally prefer a lobby area where I can have a glass of wine, a bite to eat, and work in the evening as opposed to being holed up in my room, but this is personal preference. From a security standpoint, I wasn't sure how I felt about no one being at the front desk at night, although entrance to the building after hours is by room key only. Also, dropping the keys without a receipt worried me a little.

All in all, the room IS the most important part of a hotel. The other stuff is just the icing on the cake. But sometimes, when traveling on business, the icing is a nice treat.

Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2019 via mobile

An unexpected trip put me in the DC area overnight. Decent area but hotel left something to be desired. System failure when I was checking in caused a mix up that led me to an already occupied room. After correcting that issue another guest was then sent to the room that I had been given. Door lock (not the dead bolt) needed repairs. I would stay again but would hope not to have a repeat of these events.

Trip type: Traveled solo
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Fairfax, responded to this reviewResponded 3 days ago

Hello K2941OXstevenb,

Thank you for making us your home base here in Fairfax. We work efficiently to make sure that every guest's check-in experience is a breeze, and I'm sorry that this has not been the case during your stay. Don't worry, I've made our Front Office team aware of your feedback and I trust that steps will be taken to avoid this from happening again.

We appreciate your feedback and I hope we get to make your next stay with us better.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed April 22, 2019 via mobile

I arrived here late yesterday night and was greeted by a kind man named Abdul. He was happy to help me out and accommodate me in any way he could, he even gave me a 2pm checkout because of when my Amtrak train was leaving. Very kind man. After checking out, the general manager at the front desk greeted me and helped me purchase snacks from the Cupboard. She was really sweet! I could tell she enjoyed her job because of how she went out of her way to make her guests feel at home. Will definitely be returning if I find myself in Fairfax again!

Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed April 14, 2019 via mobile

We had an issue checking in Ann's booking with a 3rd party and Vanessa cleared everything up effectively and efficiently. She also got us signed up for their rewards program! The room was also very clean and had everything we needed.We will definitely be coming back.

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2019

I reserved a room for 3 nights to visit attractions in Fairfax and DC. It’s proximity to the metro was a factor and I like all of the Candlewood properties that I have stayed in. I was greeted by Harish in a very professional and courteous manner. We received our key and were told that they were renovating and part of that would be replacing the carpets. Our first night and first morning were OK but the next night we arrived at the hotel after 8:00pm and our 3rd floor hallway was full of dust and difficult to see through from the carpet work. We were tired a dirty from a long day and needed showers anyway. The next night, our toilet overflowed. They were quick to respond. When we checked out, I asked to speak with the manager (Laila). I asked her why we were given rooms on the only floor that was being worked on during our stay. She told us that she did not know that anyone was assigned the 3rd floor rooms and apologized very nicely. Next, she told us that she was refunding our full stay. We were satisfied with the apology and told her but were grateful for the refund. She told us that her job was to make sure that we were happy and that would never happen again. I post this so people will hopefully talk to the staff before posting anything negative.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple