“Surprise in Fairfax”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Chain bridge, Rt 50
Transit: Vienna Metro
Description: Experience our MANTRA (MAGIC) of making CURRIES. Enjoy Curries with Classic & Traditional decor. The Best of Fairfax.
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We happened to find this gem looking for something else, since we were hungry we decided to give it a try. There are a lot of Indian buffets in the area and they are usually good but this was exceptional. Everything was fresh and well seasoned. The goat was amazing as was the chicken masala. The staff were attentive and very friendly and the service was excellent. The iced tea was made with cardamom which was really good. We want to return for dinner and will soon.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

My new favorite local Indian restaurant. Menu offerings that are not the typical but all were delicious. The tilapia on the banana leaf was particularly good. Also the lamb with pistachio sauce. Enjoyed the live sitar/drum duo during dinner -- soothing but not intrusive. Will definitely re-visit this location although their new location in Falls Church is also supposed to be excellent - and with a different menu!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

One look at the strip that Curry Mantra inhabits, and you begin to make assumptions. Saying that it has humble exterior aesthetics is putting it lightly. I ventured inside with my girlfriend on a Friday evening, and was pleasantly surprised by the warm and inviting atmosphere the restaurant had. The live music was phenomenal as well; I was incredibly impressed. Now, time to get down to the meat of the review: the food and service.

The service was perfect. Our water was always refilled by a funny server who always gave us smiles with his witty remarks. All of the other staff was respectful and pleasant as well, including the host, who had a personality of her own. I have no complaints about the service.

The food was largely impressive, with some bumps. The bhelpuri appetizer was pretty good; light and refreshing. The naan was good with nothing extraordinary to report. My saag paneer was excellent... but I wish there was more paneer pieces. There were only about 4 in the entire bowl that I was given, which left me wanting a little more. The malai kofta had a good sauce, but the cheese balls had a strange texture to go with it. It was interesting, but wasn't amazing by any means.

Overall, our experience was wonderful, and we cannot wait to go back again in the future.

2  Thank Drew V
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Love this restaurant. It's the highlight of the trip when we have visitors in town. Great lunch buffet too!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Heard good reviews from foodies but never visited. Went to a birthday party dinner last Saturday with a party of 16. Very authentic looking and dress by staff. Service was good but not excellent, but they were busy at the time we were there. Prices were fair but was surprised they offered bread for the table and we later found it on the bill. Each ordered something different at my table and we shared. It was all good, but I did pass on the goat. Not being a fan of Indian food I don't know how it stacks up. but it is a nice diversion.