“We had a wonderful dining experience!”
Review of Boxwoods at The Mason Inn - CLOSED

Boxwoods at The Mason Inn
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 123 and Braddock (on GMU Campus)
Transit: Take the Orange Line to the Vienna Stop. Transfer to the "Mason to Metro Shuttle" which will drop you right at our doorstep.
Description: Boxwoods is a full-service restaurant in Fairfax serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Chef’s innovative menu includes regional and American favorites prepared with the freshest ingredients. In addition to an a la carte menu there is also a buffet selection available. Our Chef partners with area farms and vineyards to provide healthy and delicious choices.Sunday Brunch is BACK at Boxwoods! Enjoy a feast for the whole family from 11am - 2pm each Sunday. You will enjoy the Waffle Station, Omelet Station, Assorted Pies and Mousses, and, of course, your favorite beverage. Let the good times roll at Boxwoods Sunday Brunch. Adults are only $21.00, Children 6-12 are $15 and Children 5 and Under are FREE. Come on……eat us out of “house and home”. Make the CHEF and General Manager run to buy more food! It’s only a PARTY if you attend and it happens at Boxwoods each week.
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We had a group of ten family members eating dinner one night. I called the restaurant about a week before and spoke to one of the managers, Atef, to make the reservation. He arranged a private dining room for us which was elegant and perfect for our group. (This dining room seats up to ten people.) For our large group, I arranged menu selections with him in advance which simplified ordering our meal and resulted in the dishes being served promptly. He even printed our menu out on heavy card stock with our family name at the top and placed one at each place setting. It was an elegant touch. We had excellent, attentive service. Everyone was impressed by the service we got. The food was great and beautifully plated. We could not have been more pleased!

Reviewed February 22, 2011

This was a really bad dining experience. The service was awful. We waited a long time for our food--and the restaurant was not very busy. I dined with four others. When everyone else's meals finally came, the server brought my garden salad (ordered as an appetizer) and then asked if we were missing anything. I told her that I had ordered an entree and she had to ask what it was. She then put in the order and I got my dinner when everyone else was done with their dinners. The food was nothing special. I ordered the Linguini Pasta, which was described as "Served with Zucchini, Bell Peppers, and Broccoli in a Light Pesto Sauce and finished with Shaved Parmesan Cheese." This was $19. What I got was a bowl of linguini with pesto and a few small pieces of vegetables. $19! I was worth about $5. Why skimp on the veggies? Where was the shaved Parm? I just ate it because I was hungry and wanted to leave.
Here is the best part. The following day, we noticed that our credit card had been overcharged. We went directly to see the manager, who told us that the restaurant automatically puts a "double hold" on your credit card. In other words, if your bill is $100, they charge your card $200. The manger told us that this would be fixed. We left town believing her. Now, several days later, the charge for double the bill is on our card.

If you are trapped at GMU for a conference, as we were, it may appear that you are stuck with this place, but if you walk a short distance--5 minutes--from the Inn you can get decent food just off campus. It is worth the effort t avoid this place.