“A night in Dubai”
Review of Mazadar Kabob

Mazadar Kabob
Ranked #22 of 420 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Northern Virginia, Virginia
“A night in Dubai”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband and I selected this restaurant because of TA reviews and its location to a relative's house where we had spent the afternoon. We weren't disappointed. Having experienced several trips to Afghanistan and other areas in the region, my dh says the restaurant most reminds him of upscale establishments in Dubai. He says even the restroom was reminiscent of Dubai and Afghanistan with the "washing up" jug of water in the men's room.

We arrived at 6PM on a Saturday night, without a reservation, and were greeted formally. Our first impression was "Wow! What atmosphere!" White raised-patterned walls that look like lilies, set off by black and white chairs and napkins create a clean and modern vibe. The main attraction, a water fountain in the middle of the room, was encased in a gorgeous blue-mosaic tiled square pool. The flooring has also been created with thoughtfulness- stunning blocks of black and white mosaic tiles arranged throughout the space. The only glaring intrusion was a staple of Mid-East restaurants- a TV screen (in this case, huge) set to CNN-close captioning the news (one headline "10 officers killed in Afghanistan").

Our waiter greeted us formally and asked our seating preference; we chose a table next to the fountain. We ordered a bottle of BV Napa Valley cabernet sauvignon from the wine list (bargain to moderately priced wine selections) and started with the four piece sampler, which uncluded a large slice of Nan bread, hummas, and a yogurt/cucumber dip. Delicious and very fresh ingredients.DH had the surf and turf (a bit pricey at $25.99) and I chose the lamb kebob plate ($14.99) that came with Basmati rice. We shared sauteed spinach ($3.99). My lamb was cooked too well done to my liking and the rice was on the dry side, but dh's mixed fare suited him just fine. The spinach was very tasty. We ended by sharing a carrot and pistachio type cobbler and baklava- the carrot specialty being especially delightful.

I could have stopped at the sampler starter and may do just that next time- and there will be one! Except for the TV- Wonderful atmosphere and overall- mostly moderate prices and some good food. The full restaurant an hour after we arrived, and the Middle Eastern families who frequent the place, illustrate the restaurant's appeal and authenticity.

1 Thank M H

Fairfax, Virginia
“Eh, It Was OK”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We went here expecting,perhaps, too much based on the reviews. The atmosphere was very nice, the service was very good, but the food wasn't anything particularly special. I don't understand the raves.

Fairfax, Virginia
“Romantic Evening”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The food and ambiance were perfect. The owner himself waited on us. This was an excellent meal and an excellent experience. I would highly recommend this establishment.

1 Thank Eric S
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Persian food close to home”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My son wanted to try something new for his birthday dinner, so we took a look at what TripAdvisor recommended and found Mazadar Kabob. It was a wonderful find.

We sampled a variety of its offerings, from baba ghannougeserved with hot bread, to qwabili pallow to sabsi to mantu (dumplings), to Persian ice cream, carrot and pistachio dessert, etc.

All were excellent. Service was great. We will definitely return.

• Visited December 2012
Washington DC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Best Mediterranean Restaurant in DC Area”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I am from the Mediterranean and have lived in the DC area for 25 years. This is by far the best Mediterranean/Middle-Eastern cuisine I have had here. The food is superb and the service is even better. I have eaten here at least a dozen times and I have tried just about everything in the menu. I can comfortably say that you can chose anything in the menu and you will love it. From their meat items to vegetables, you can tell everything is fresh and the best quality. And the bread!!!! Their freshly baked bread is out of this world and I am the son of a baker. This is my favorite restaurant by far and I recommend it to everyone.

• Visited December 2012