“Comfortable beds, smaller room” 4 of 5 stars

SpringHill Suites Fairfax Fair Oaks
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Fairfax
GreenLeadersBronze level
philadelphia area
“Comfortable beds, smaller room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

We didn't have reservations when we stopped here while my husband took care of business in Fairfax. We are used to a suite having a separate area for our kids even if it doesn't have a separate room. We could only get 2 double beds for the five of us so it was a bit cramped.
I'm used to suites having 2 TVs, no matter how many real rooms they have but there was only a swivel TV for both rooms.
The decor is definitely modern but nice...the decorations were a little too tempting and accessible for our 18-month-old. I had to make some modifications.
The beds and pillows were very comfortable. My husband complained about sleeping but that's because having a baby between you in a double bed is just too much. He ended up ditching us and sleeping on the couch.
My main complaint was breakfast. The choices weren't too varied but they did have eggs and sausage. There just wasn't enough seating for the people who were eating. I ate standing up by my kids' table. Other people were in the same situation.
The elevator was remarkably slow. We waited a long time and it seemed only one was working. I overheard the maids complaining about it a few times when I passed them in the hall so hopefully it was troublesome only that day.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Korean first
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

We stayed here two nights for our days in DC on our trip visiting Virginia. Our travels into the heart of DC took us about 45 minutes. We were planning on using the hotels shuttle service to the Metro and take that into DC, but we ended up deciding to just drive it. The hotel seems to be in a quieter location and is fairly new. The place was very clean and our rooms were typical Springhill rooms. The breakfast wasn't as good as typical Springhills only offering Biscuits and Gravy for the hot choices both mornings. The kids enjoyed the pool which actually had a life guard on duty, something we haven't been use to. The parking is in a hotel owned parking garage and is free. The grounds around the hotel are beautiful including fountains and well maintained grounds. This is my first time having to point this out for a Springhill. The front desk staff were extremely friendly. If spending time in DC, this hotel should be considered.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

My boyfriend and I did the Washington DC 4th of July and found this hotel outside of DC. We paid 69$ a night and were not sure what exactly to expect. We were impressed at the value. The hotel was not an unreasonable distance from the Metro Station and it was clean, breakfast included (which is great by the way), our room was cleaned always when we got back and the staff was very helpful. We definitely will come back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
scranton PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

Spring Hill Suites was a beautiful hotel to stay at!!! It is decorated so beautifully in the lobby, the colors are so pretty and welcoming!!! The place is immaculate!!!! The room ws also decorated in such nice colors, even the carpet was pretty and you definitely dont mind walking around barefoot as you might in some other hotels!!! The beds and the pillows were incredibly comfortable!!!! It was very very quiet as well!!! Definitely would recommend this hotel to anyone who would be staying in this area!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Southwestern New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

The Cons first: this hotel has a VERY slow elevator. Take the stairs. Also, the room AC unit is a little noisy, as in I had to move across the room to be able to hear during a phone conversation. Those are my only real gripes. I stayed here for a business convention with colleagues. I wasn't expecting much coming in but was pleasantly surprised by the bright, crisp lobby and modern decor of the lobby level. The room was even better-- bathed in white with lime green and turquoise accent colors, fresh white linens and a very nicely planned setup with couch and desk. The king suite also had a convenient kitchenette with fridge and microwave-and disposable plates and utensils. The little things like that count. Breakfast was good-we made our own waffles at the do-it-yourself waffle irons and ate on the sunny veranda. Very pleased with this hotel. Great value and great service.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

I stayed at the Springhill Suites for almost a week. I found the hotel to be extremely clean, the room was spacious and comfortable. I was horrified to learn upon check in that 3 school groups would be arriving that night. However, the soundproofing is excellent and I only heard them when they went to their rooms. Also, the hotel seems to have a good system for dealing with the groups so they don't take over the entire place.

I didn't eat the free breakfast, but it looked great. The garage parking was nice, too.

The hotel is rather far from downtown DC, if that's why you're visiting. The hotel does offer a shuttle to the Metro, but it's still not a quick trip.

The rates on the weekend are great, but during the week it's quite expensive, but not out of line with other hotels in the area.

My one complaint would be the staff. They just didn't seem very experienced or they just didn't care. However, it wasn't enough of an issue not to stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Syracuse, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

My husband and I decided to book this hotel after reading some great reviews about it...and we are very glad we did! Expecting a trip to DC with an 8 yr. old over Memorial Day weekend to be a nightmare, the hotel was actually a very refreshing surprise! The place is brand new, with sleek, modern decor, extremely spacious rooms, and the entire hotel (rooms, lobby, etc) was spotlessly clean. The wireless internet was actually very fast and didn't drop at all, and there were many high-end touches, such as granite counter tops, double sheeting, feather pillows, etc. There were several soccer teams staying there that weekend yet we didn't hear them at all, our room was very quiet. We had a mini-kitchen area with a fridge, microwave, and sink, which made it easy to buy our own snacks and have cold drinks available before leaving on day trips and the free covered parking was a nice perk. The only thing I would change would be to possibly increase the pool temperature a bit (according to my son), but the fitness center was brand new and was more than adequate. We will be staying here again and I would recommend this hotel to anybody looking for an excellent value and clean, relaxing accommodations.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family