“Very nice experience”

Ruth's Chris Steak House - Fairfax
Reserve with OpenTable
Ruth's Chris Steak House - Fairfax is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 433 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Government County Pkwy
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Usually I can find some nice aged steaks, throw a baked potato in the oven, make a green salad, and select a nice bottle of red from the rack at home, so I never feel the need to go to a big-time steakhouse. Well, we had such a nice meal, my outlook has changed. We ordered the porterhouse for two--it was done to a turn--and had nice filet and tenderloin of a T-bone. Salad was tasty--got the wedge of lettuce with bleu cheese crumbles, sides of au gratin potatoes and broccoli were very well done. Great bottle of cabernet from NAPA--don't have that one in the rack! We sat near the window, the place had quite a few people in it for a Monday night.

Service was attentive but unobtrusive. I'm sold!

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Great meal, great steak --- it's what they do and they do it well. You should know what to expect before you go.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Ruth's Chris is known for high end a la carte steaks, but a fairly low profile happy hour at the bar is the way to get your hands on yummy food for a mere $6. Monday thru Friday, until 7 pm, the bar offers great bargains - each dish is perfect size for one, or great to share. Prime burger w/ fries, tenderloin skewers, lobster roll w/ fries, prime sliders (3), steak sandwich w/ fries (my favorite!), seared ahi tuna, or spicy fried lobster. Decent prices on their featured HH drinks including classic cosmo, pomegranate martini, manhattan, moscow mule, rocks rita, or some brand name wines by the glass, all for $6.

The bar is very clubby feeling, quiet and with plenty of bar and table seating.

My last visit we did drinks at the bar for HH then moved into the dining room for dinner. Filet was incredibly yummy ($41) and we shared creamed spinach and potatoes off the a la carte menu. A bottle of Rubicon Estate Cask Cabernet (2008) was perfect with the filet. My two dining partners - one had the filet and the other had the t-bone. Both were just as happy with their steaks as I was. This meal was a business meeting--otherwise I would have been in the bar drinking the Wily Jack Cab and eating a steak sandwich.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

After a matinee at the Kennedy Center, the Chief of Staff and I were both feeling peckish and I had a craving for a good steak. The Chief of Staff suggested the Rutherford Chris and I quickly agreed. Rutherford Chris has become something of a franchise/chain. But it is still a reliable choice for a great meal, excellent service and good value.
After a very good mixed drinks to relax from the drive, we both chose Ruth's Classic, a fixed price meal with a great selection appetizer, enter, sides and dessert. And we both selected the prosciutto salad, 6oz filet with shrimp, garlic mashed potatos, green beans and dessert. The food was prepared and presented flawlessly and in a timely fashion. Flawless.
I want to call special attention to the extremely high quality wait staff. Our experience has been that the wait staff is professional, knowledgeable prompt and polite. They are attentive without being intrusive.
There aren't a lot of surprises waiting for you at Ruth's Chris. But there is good food and good service at good value. If you are looking for exotic decor, trendy foo-foo drinks, pseudo-organic food then this is not where you want to be. But if you want good food, well prepared and well presented and served by a wonderful staff, this is a winning choice.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

When we booked the reservation we were asked if we were celebrating anything special, so we mentioned we were celebrating 3 birthdays and an early Mother’s Day. When we go there and during our dinner we did not get a single acknowledgement of the special instructions. The steaks and lobster were good, but I absolutely do not recommend the wedge salad–very bland. The service was horrible. Our waiter, Eddie, was aloof and just not that skilled at being a server. He spilled wine and water on our table, never brought us the butter and lemon for our lobster (had to flag down a manger for that) and never made it back to the table after our food was served to see how everything was or offer us drink refills.

1  Thank Pamela K