“Food and Wine Gem”
Review of The Wine House

The Wine House
Reserve with OpenTable
The Wine House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 435 Restaurants in Fairfax
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We are native NYers living in northern Va and for years we were looking for a food and wine bar that wasn't just serving cheese and crackers, we travel often to Paris and enjoy the selections at many wine bars that server food, The Wine House is very reminiscent of a wonderful wine bar Les Papilles in Paris - the food was as good as the wine, in fact the food was almost better because we didn't expect it to be so good - we will not share the pork belly appetizer, we will each get one because it was that tasty - my husband had short ribs that fell off the bones and I had vegetable lasagna which was good but the portion very small however the salads that accompanied the meals were so very good - of course being able to taste different wines by the glass allows one to be adventurous - it was 4th of July weekend so the area which is right by George Mason University was extremely quiet but when its not a holiday or when school is in session a reservation could only help, it helped us - it was a thoroughly enjoyable dinner - you should go because the staff is also knowledgeable on both the wines and food.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stopped in for what I hoped would be a quaint lunch and was taken aback by the unfriendliness of the waiter. He acted like he didn't want to be there, and getting information out of him was like pulling teeth. What a shame because the ambiance of The Wine House is quite nice. The food was okay -- decent-to-good but certainly not great. I may give this place another try at happy hour and see how it goes, but I don't foresee ever going back for a full meal.

1  Thank C-Sea-Traveller
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We just wanted somewhere to sit outside on a beautiful evening and enjoy a bottle of wine with a couple of nice appetizers and dessert. The Wine House fit the bill perfectly and the staff was very knowledgeable and friendly.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful evening in downtown Fairfax having good wine, cheese and dinner. A nice setting that gives you a feel of being in a winery tasting room without being at a winery. Service is good, prices reasonable.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Several people recommended this place to us when we first moved to the DC area, telling me the food and wine were wonderful and the atmosphere very special. One evening we arrived only to be told they require reservations and the seating will be at 6. We ate elsewhere. A second time, our party of four was not all there at 6, and again we had to eat elsewhere. Finally, three friends and I made sure to be available at 6 pm, made reservations in advance, and arrived on time. I am not sure if this seating policy is intended to make the restaurant feel a bit exclusive, or if the manager is just a control freak, but it takes the Wine House out of my rotation for spontaneous drink and nibbles. Anyway, various members of our party ordered the Malbec, a sauvignon blanc, and a pino noir. We also had the cheese and charcuterie board, which was delightful. We did have to ask the server to tell us which cheese was which (she set the board down and walked away), but did a fine job explaining the cheeses. The mussels were delicious, the watercress soup light and refreshing. The beet and fennel salad is a winner! Total bill was $125 before tip. Overall, the food was fine, the wine was fine, the service was okay... So what is all the fuss about? Because of its proximity to where I live and work, I suppose I will end up going back there one day, but it will not be my first call. I do not understand the need to be inaccessible, or to turn people away at the door because they do not arrive for "the seating." So much for stumbling in for a glass of wine and bite of bread at the end of a long work day.