“Not the message but the delivery” 3 of 5 stars

The Auld Shebeen Irish Pub
Ranked #12 of 391 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: American, Irish, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Auld Shebeen is Fairfax City's only authentic Irish Pub and Restaurant. In Ireland a Shebeen was an illicit drinking den, an after hours speakeasy where once inside people found good familiar conversation, drink, friends and great food! Fascinating history surrounds these shebeens that have always offered excitement for local patrons and will forever be a part of Irish lore. Our Menu is based on both traditional Irish recipes and American cuisine. Our house specialties include our Seafood Stew, Dubliner Stuffed Chicken and our Filet Mignon with Irish whiskey and green peppercorn sauce,with many others including many traditional Irish pub favorites like our Guinness Beef Stew, Shepherd's Pie or Fish and Chips. So whether it is a few quiet pints after work or a special evening out, here at The Auld Shebeen we will do our utmost to make your visit with us a special one. We feature live traditional Irish music every Friday and Saturday in the restaurant.
Orlando, Florida
“Not the message but the delivery”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

First I'll say the food, wait staff and the band were all great!
What made this a 3 instead of a 5 was the small act of being seated. A friend had called ahead and made reservations and had specifically asked for a booth - the 3 of us prefer booths - she was told there shouldn't be an issue as the reservation was at 6:30pm on a Saturday. I arrived first and was seated at a 4 top/table - I asked if we could have one of the 4 booths that were open/available and was told no because we were a party of 3 and the booths sat anywhere from 4 to 6 people - I was not happy but as I hadn't made the reservation I didn't push too much. When my friends arrived - the one who made the reservation came to me and asked why I wasn't in a booth - she then spoke to the gentleman for quite sometime and came back unhappy because he wouldn't move us. About 5 mins later he did indeed move us to a booth - for which we were extremely grateful - but he seemed rather gruff, disgruntled and put out by doing it. Our smiles and multiple thank you's seem to fall on deaf ears and were met by grumbling under his breath. All 3 of us were extremely uncomfortable and we left much earlier than we had planned and didn't spend the $$$ we would have - had we stayed longer. Perhaps is was an off night - we all have those days - but because of that - none of us will go back. I understand the economics of seating-it wasn't the message - it was the delivery. Just one instance for us - try it yourself as other reviews seem to be positive. This was 4/27/13.

• 1 of 5 stars

Simpsonville, South Carolina
“Outstanding lunch at Auld Shebeen!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We had a delicious lunch at the Auld Shebeen. The salad was fresh, the reuben and hamburger were tasty, and my daughter loved her fish and chips. They had some really good spicy mustard choices, as well as Irish Chef Sauce on the table. Service was prompt and friendly. We really enjoyed the Irish pub atmosphere, too.

Lakeland, Florida
“The music makes the night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I'd had a hankering for corned beef and cabbage since St. Patrick's Day and so we chose to eat here. It was in a place that I think used to be The Black Eyed Pea when I lived here prior to 2001. That doesn't matter, though.

Corned beef was good, not great, but the cabbage was great. Of course, it's cabbage. The mashed potatoes were great, as well, but again, they're potatoes. But it was exactly what I wanted, and it was completely up to my standards! Add in a true Black and Tan and you've got a great meal.

The band that played that night made the evening great, though. Everyone got involved, even though most of us didn't know the songs, and the place was LOUD and FUN.

Don't go here on a night with the band if you want to have deep discussions or hash out some business. Go here to drink beer and eat comfort food and clap and maybe even dance a bit.

My brother's been here on a weeknight and says the place is completely different - no band, no crowds, no energy, but the food is still good.

I have to add that I'm not usually inclined to like LOUD, FUN places like this. Maybe I was just in a good mood, or it was the first night of my vacation, but whatever the reason I really enjoyed my night here.

• 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Daniel34373
Washington, DC
“Great Addition to Fairfax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This room has a great tradition, having served as a music club and restaurant in many incarnations over the years. The Auld Shebeen rendition is a fine addition. More personality than Black Eyed Pea and a little more classy than the old dive bar, Olivers.

The service and food in the upstairs restaurant meet expectations for good food and good knife and fork service. However, it is great that they are also opening up their downstairs bar to music and events for the younger crowd. We need well managed club experiences in our community, and these folks ae doing that in a style miost welcome.

Visited March 2013
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“St Patty Day - average at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

seemed like a nice place to a good traditional St Patty day meal -- food was average - place (downstairs) has the colege dump feel (smelled like a urinal)

Visited March 2013