“Do not stay” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Fairfax
Columbia, Missouri
“Do not stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The hotel is an older one that has been remodeled. They gave me a key to my room that didn't work when I first checked in and had to go back to the front desk for a new one. The new key sent me to a room with propped open door and wet floors. Back down for a new room, the new room was so-so until the next morning when a mouse ran across my foot and two more scurried across the room! Thy did comp my room and took care of my stay at another hotel, so I was taken care of.

Room Tip: Go to the residence inn right around the corner. Very very very nice with nice finishings throughou...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Nowhere
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed here on a weekend getaway to DC (and also to see the NRA Museum). We were able to check in early, which was nice. The room was very clean, however, had the same problem with the light switches at the Courtyard we stayed at in Richmond- they are really awkwardly placed for the toilet/shower area and sink/closet area.

There must have been a large group of girls' sport teams or something staying here, because there was ALOT of children's noise from running in the halls, banging on doors, shouting, etc. The walls are PAPER THIN. Luckily, it stopped around 10:30 pm, but it started again at 7:30 am the next day!!!

Also, the housekeeping came into our room (WITHOUT knocking) at 9 am. . ..luckily, the security latch stopped here! Really? 9 am on a Sunday? She also came by at 9:30 am. . .at least, this time knocking.

One of the reasons we booked this particular Courtyard was that they had a pool and hot tub. . .the pool is advertised to open at 10 am. Well. . .it wasn't, and the hot tub was broken/under construction- we could see lots of yellow construction tape around it.

The housekeeping lady was waiting outside our room when we left. It made us feel really, really rushed. . .and we left at 10:30 am! Come on!

Definitely would not stay here again, when there are so many options in the area. The hotel was packed, though.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second or third floor, away from the elevator!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bowie, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here to attend a dance competition. It was a very nice and clean hotel. Very quite and located near plenty of stores. The staff was very friendly and the starbucks inside was very helpful for early mornings. I would recommend this hotel. Check in and check out was easy. It look older on the outside but was definitely updated on the inside.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The Marriott Courtyard has been at this location for a number of years. The hotel has undergone several renovations and is in pretty good shape. The staff is friendly and helpful when requested.

The rooms are quiet, comfortable and the bedding and linen were adequate.

This Courtyard offers a limited service bar/restaurant that is reasonably priced. However as noted in other reviews, service is slow.

The location is excellent, adjacent to I-66 and State Route 50. This is convenient for a visit to Washington, DC or the near by George Mason University. Fair Oaks Shopping Mall is a short car ride away.

Room Tip: Choose an interior room facing the courtyard. Rooms 117, 118 and 119 are located near the exterior...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JamesD20
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with my family & got 3 rooms for an overnight stay. We had a day trip to visit the memorials in DC & stayed at the hotel to rest so we can tour the Smithsonian museums the next day.
Pros
- Room and bathroom was spacious & clean.
- bed & pillows were comfy
- free starbucks coffee in the room for brewing. Starbucks Brewed coffee was also served in the lobby in the morning.
- climate control on the room
- just 10 miles from DC
- free parking near the lobby
- free wifi
Cons
- not a lot of food options, we had to go out & ate at a food complex a few minutes away
- breakfast service was too slow, it looked like they only had 2 people getting the orders & cooking at the same time.

Overall, we were able to rest well for our DC trip when we stayed here.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Perhaps arriving very late tainted my view of the room. The sink had a large crack, the toilet required multiple flushes to fully engage, its seat was smaller than the bowl and the mustard yellow wallpaper left the impression of age. The 1960s modern decor added to the impression the room needed remolding.

On the other hand, the service was impeccable, and the selection of food for breakfast healthy and quick. The choice of the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal and USA Today was greatly appreciated.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Southern Cal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The rooms and the facilities were nice, clean, and reasonably priced and I wanted to give 4 stars but several of the employees at the front desk were kind of rude, hence the 3 stars instead of 4. There were two of us here on business (separate rooms) and we each stayed two nights. One of the evening front desk employees would not answer simple questions in a straightforward manner and had an attitude. (A simple "I don't know" would have been ok, but rudeness is not.) The day we left we asked for a late checkout of 12:30pm and they were nice enough to grant it (the hotel was not busy), but didn't let us know that the key cards automatically stop working at 12 noon whether you have a later checkout or not. I had about 30 minutes to spare before my taxi arrived so I walked around the facility but then couldn't get into my room to get my luggage. I had to have the front desk reset my card but the way the employee spoke to me it sounded like I should have known that would happen. Bottom line is stay here if it's very close to where you want to be or you have a car. If not, it's not very conveniently located and you may end up paying a lot in taxi fares.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business