“A friendly staff and Sandy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Fairfax City

Hampton Inn Fairfax City
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Fairfax
Fairfax, Virginia
“A friendly staff and Sandy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

For the second time in 6 months, my husband and i were forced to leave our home because of power outages. In June it was the Derecho and in October the eastern storm. My calls to Hampton Inn, Fairfax City produced immediate help for scheduling a room with a kind, friendly and efficient staff,. In October we were lucky to find Rid U. who reserved a room with a soothing, gracious manner. I thought the price was high(it was). He explained that corporate set the rates and he did his best to discount in the best manner possible. When we arrived, Anne S was with him. She too was the soul of helpfulness and perfect customer service. She called for take away at the Anita's restaurant next door and when I went to pick it up, Anne's price quote saved me a mistaken over charge by the waitress. Sandy who is morning chef and breakfast coordinator is wonderful. The menu could use a dress-up (not Sandy's fault-she serves what corporate orders), but most of it is edible. The plastic utensils make us unhappy, but we see the reasoning for them. Maybe a discreet choice for older visitors?
Sandy handles it all with wit, grace and style. We thank her in so many ways.
The warm feel of a European style hotel with caring staff is a guarantee for visitors to return. The one thing that drove me crazy was the noise in the room of the heating generator. Whenever we turned the heat up or on it roared like an engine coming into town. The faucets in the bathroom were both running hot water at one point. One finally cleared and the other remained warm. Bottled water in the rooms would be nice. Valet staff to help with baggage and rolling carts is non existent at night. One person was on in the morning. We understand the no frills aspect, but late night help is important. A price point adjustment might be in order.

Room Tip: Simply suggest the type of room and floor level you want. The staff will comply.
Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Arabic first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Myself, my husband, and my in-laws stayed one night while we were in town for a funeral. Check in was smooth and quick. Room was large, clean, modern, and well-appointed. The bedding was clean and luxuriously cozy. Breakfast was a diverse buffet of options- not fancy but something for everyone. My only complaint in a minor one- the a/c in our room (220) was not working quite right and the fan wouldn't stay on. Other than that, and a bit of a hot water shortage in the morning, everything was great.

Also, check out the Italian place next door. They're great!

• Stayed November 2012
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Clean, well managed Hampton Inn. Rates are more than reasonable for DC area. Internet was faster than most, health center was clean and equipment reasonable for a Hampton. Traffic around area is a nightmare, so use side street to cross main road.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The staff here are wonderful and a match for any 5-star hotel. They are friendly and accomodating. We spoke with the front desk a couple of times about some maintenance issues and each time got a knock on the door within 10 min. In truth, because of those minor issues, this should probably be a 4.5 rating but unfortunately, 4 or 5 are my choices.

Pros: Good breakfast with some hot items, clean and comfortable rooms, friendly staff, lots of stuff nearby, fast Internet, well-maintained fitness room

Cons: Traffic around here is usually bad, even on weekends. No cold water in our room, only warm/hot water would come out. This only seems to be a problem at night, perhaps from too much hot water on tap. Also, the mini-fridge in our room acted more like a freezer. After realizing it was freezing everything, we turned it down to 1-2 which fixed the problem.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Southington, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stay in Hampton Inns frequently and this one did not disappoint. It was very clean, the staff friendly and helpful and the woman making breakfast in the morning was very nice and friendly. The room with free WIFI was clean, smelled good and the beds were comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Pinehurst, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hampton Inn in Fairfax, Va for business. I had a terrible stay and will never stay at this hotel again. I checked into the Hotel and my credit card was declined, the hotel staff stated that it was declined and had to call for authorization. I immediately called my credit card company and they had no record of the transaction. The card was declined before it was even set to Bank of America. I guess that Hampton Inn uses an internal credit card service and that service denied my card. I also had to change rooms in the middle of my stay due to a water leak. The gym was in a hotel room on the first floor, they said they were remodeling the gym. The traffic outside the hotel is terrible, expect to sit in traffic for 10-15 minutes to get anywhere 1-2 miles from the hotel. A terrible stay and the staff was not helpful in any way. I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Recommend Hilton Garden Inn in Fairfax. I would also recommend the Marriott Residence Inn.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Brady B
jfowler24, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fairfax City, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
I am sorry your time with us wasn't more pleasant. I am not sure what the exact problem was with your credit card at check in, perhaps a line of communication was down and that is why we called directly and your bank had no immediate record of the request for authorization. This is not something that has happened in the past. I can certainly understand your frustration knowing that there is not a problem with your card and being asked to wait while we work the problem out. We were in the process of renovating our fitness center, which is now complete with all new equipment. In the interim we relocated all of our existing equipment to two converted guest rooms. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Regarding the water leak from the room above you, again I am sorry. I spoke with you directly regarding relocating your room and I was under the impression you understood the situation and it was not a problem for you to move rooms. However, when you couple the other issues together I certainly understand your overall frustration. I realize these issues may have caused us to lose you as a return guest, but we would love another opportunity to serve you and prove that what you experienced was not typical of the service and product we provide our guests.
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

We stayed there after a concert @ Jiffy Lube Live. Hotel is average, not outstandingly good or bad. Clean and comfortable, and close to the concert venue. They also have late night pizza delivery available if you get the munchies after the show :-)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple