“Shocked there are so many good reviews. Far better options nearby.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Fair Lakes Fairfax

You added Residence Inn Fair Lakes Fairfax to your Saves list
Residence Inn Fair Lakes Fairfax
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12815 Fair Lakes Parkway, Gps Address: 12700 Shoppes Lane, Fairfax, Fairfax, VA 22033   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Suite, Champagne,Sleep In
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Fairfax
Virginia
“Shocked there are so many good reviews. Far better options nearby.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

I stayed here because my first and second choice hotels were completely booked (Residence Inn at Dulles 28 Center and Hotel Sierra in Sterling). I was a little nervous since there were no traveler photos posted, but I booked anyway. I was so, so disappointed when I got here. This property is as it was when it was built. The only updates have been superficial (a sloppily painted accent wall, some new carpet, laminate floor in the kitchen area). If you are used to updated Residence Inn hotels, you will not be happy here.

First and foremost, the layout is the old Residence Inn style. You check in at a central building, then have to repack the car and drive around the property to your building. This was pretty annoying in the rain, when I got here.

The hotel is very close to highways...so close that I heard tractor trailers driving by all night long. It is also tucked away behind a lot of greenery, so you can not find it by sight when you get close. You must have GPS or directions printed out ahead of time. However, you must use a different address if getting here via GPS or map program. The address to use is in the reminder email they send a few days before the trip...at the very bottom of the email. I didn't find it on the website anywhere.

The rooms are dull and depressing. Everything is worn and old. If you stayed at a Residence Inn in the 90s, you know the plastic counters, dim lighting, and cheap furniture. Just a couple miles away at the Residence Inn at Dulles 28 Center, you'll find comfy furniture, an updated kitchen with stainless steel appliances, and plenty of soundproofing.

A few other things about this property:
-One of the windows in my room had an exterior light outside of it, shining down from the 3rd floor. The curtains didn't block the light at all, so my room was never dark at night.

-This place is full of guys in work trucks. At first, I didn't think anything of it. Then I realized that my entire floor, in a building that requires a bit of a walk from the gatehouse building, is full of loud construction workers. As a solo, female business traveler, I was just a tiny bit uncomfortable.

-There is no WiFi, just wired internet. So, you must sit at a tiny, shabby desk to do any work.

-There is no safe in the room, which is standard at every updated Residence Inn at which I've stayed.

-The bathroom light/fan is so loud that I almost took video of it to post. I loath the idea of taking as shower in there this morning.

Until they update this place, I can't recommend it. There are far superior options in the general area.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank JeanninePC99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Somerset, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

Got the deal through Name your price Priceline.So the price was lower then the usual daily rates.To start with though we dint got suite with 2 bed or room and we were team of 3 travelling the stay was nice and smooth.Instead of 2 bed they have one king bed and sofa bed which is good enough.Complete breakfast is like icing on the cake :)).Internet was wired and not wireless so that was one thing which can be upgraded by the management but still was able to access it through wire.Easy access to main highways going to DC is convenient.Also near to Vienna train station through which u can directly reach to DC.Over all nice stay would surely consider again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

This was a perfectly fine chain hotel. We got a great price on a 2 bedroom suite though it would be very nice if the residence inns would provide cots. or one of the rooms had two queen beds instead of both bedrooms having King Size. My boys are very tall and the pullout couches just don't do it.

We brought our 12 week old puppy and he was very well behaved (obviously in his crate) The hotel charges a 150 non refundable fee for pets which is steep but it was worth it for the convenience and because of the fact we got a good rate to start with. Plenty of areas to walk the dog.

Breakfast was not great at all and after one day we opted to go elsewhere. There is a Starbucks within walking distance which is nice.

Nice swimming pool enclosed in a courtyard so you are not swimming with the cars :) we didn't use it but it was decent.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

Very welcoming and friendly. A good supper and a hot breakfast were included in the bill. Room was clean, neat and comfortable. If I ever return to that area, I will plan to stay at that hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Fairfax, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

I booked for two nights while our house was being renovated.
I have booked this place for my relatives in the past during their visit and they liked the place very much.
First, let me complement the staff: Service was very attentive -when I needed a replacement computer cable, they were more than willing to go out of their way to find me one and aplogized for having a broken cable.
The location cannot be beat if you like to dine out and needs to hop on either 66/7100/50/29 highway. There is a bar/restaurant next door. Joe's crab shack and MC Donald is within a short walking distance. A short ride (2 min) to a large strip mall with starbucks, sushi, Olive Garden, mexican and thai restaurant near by.
The only issue, which is beyond the control of staff here, is that the building needs additional sound proofing. I can hear conversations from the next room and I had to check whether there was a door in between. When my next door occupant took a shower, I could hear water hitting the floor of the tub as if my wife is taking a shower with the door ajar. It may be an issue if you are a light sleeper or sensitive to noise.

I have to agree with one of the previous reviewer regarding insulation ; the ac/heater is very loud.

Finally, there is unpleasant moldy smell when you enter the hallway of the building and it may be due to the aged carpet and lack of sunlight.

Having said that you cannot beat $72 per night for a one bedroom suite / breakfast buffet with your AAA membership and again I want to complement the staff for their excellent service!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Federal Way, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

The Residence Inn was a very clean and comfortable room with a kitchen, queen bed and a comfy sofa bed which was somewhat separated from the bedroom and dressing area. It was located near mulitple restaurants and shopping and in fairly close proximity to catching the train into DC. There was ample parking and the continental breakfasts were above average.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
WV
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

We took our family to the DC Metro area for the 4th of July holiday. Having lived in the Fairfax area for 12 years we liked the area that the hotel is located, Fair Lakes.

However, the first night of our long weekend our van was broken into. Someone busted out the driver's side window and rummaged through the vehicle to take what they wanted.

The hotel could have cared less. The police were notified and did a report. The hotel staff / management hide behind tiny little signs located in the parking lot and pass blame. The next night another vehicle was broken into.

After leaving at least 10 calls to the Marriott Corp Claims office with no return calls we received a letter in the mail stating that our claim had been closed. We had been able to talk to no one. Finally after making several more phone attempts someone did call us back and rudely said that there was nothing that they could do.

SO, I would recommend staying anywhere else but here! Stay at your own risk!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family