“Great Place for D.C. vacation”

Holiday Inn Express Fairfax - Arlington Boulevard
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Fairfax
Reviewed May 11, 2007

We stayed here for several days for our D.C. trip. It is an excellent value and the place was letter perfect for us.

Everything was fairly new and clean. The free breakfast had many selections including cereal, fruit, mini-yogurts, danish, eggs and sausage. Great assortment.

The wireless worked perfectly and they had plug in so my daughter could use her non-wireless enabled laptop. They had a regular computer and printed down in the lobby for patron use.

TV channels. Not very many. One of the few disappointments.

Staff: Very attentive. Went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. I really felt that they wanted our business.

Nearby to several chain restaurants (Hooters, Red Lobster, etc.)

About a mile from the subway. This was OK for us, as we had a car rented, but I'm not sure how guests without a car would get there, if there was a shuttle or not.

I would definitely come back here again.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank TBonzie

Reviewed May 5, 2007

Stayed in this hotel for one night on a business trip.

The welcome gift of a free bottle of water for Proirity Club members was a nice touch.

The fitness room is located up on the fourth floor, and has a big HDTV in it, along with a treadmill, stationary bike, and stairmaster. It all seemed new and operative. The only thing really missing from the room was a scale.

The rooms also have flat planel HDTVs in them, which is nice. What would be better, though, would be if the hotel got HD signals to those HDTVs. The TV has about 20 channels on it, all standard definition - even the broadcast networks are shown in SD (think:: the TV gets something akin to basic cable with HBO).

The room was comfortable and clean and completely up to my expectations for a HiEx.

Breakfeast was nice and also met my expecations: bagels, cereal, yogurt, cinnamon muffins, and more.

Did not get to try the high speed internet.

I only wished that they would upgrade the channel offerings on the TV - especially given the money they put into the flat planel HDTVs (upgrades would include putting up a $30ish antennae to get all the broadcast networks in HD, to get more than just the basic broadcast networks (eg: the CW network is not available), and to get channels like Comedy Central (need my "Daily Show" fix)...)

I Would stay here again if/when the opportunity presented itself.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank zbeeblebrox
Reviewed January 9, 2007

My Husband and I were visiting some of our family and stayed at the hotel. At first I was really scared when I read all the reviews. So I called the hotel and talked to the front desk clerk who said that the renovations were done and not to worry and come in and see how nice it looks. So when we checked in I already had a plan B just in case I was going to be dissapointed.

Well to my surprise the place was so beautiful and new. You could tell that everything was new. The room was so spacious and the beds were very comfortable. They also had the shower heads that Holiday Inn advertises which made the water pressure so much better than other hotels that I have stayed at. And to top it off they had a flat Screen TV, and a little refrigerator. So all and all our stay was very nice. The next morning we had their free breakfast which was pretty good too. I am a coffee person, and their coffee was so yummy. Also I was surprised to see eggs and bacon which were for no extra charge.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again. It was worth the price.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank nedapirooz
Reviewed October 9, 2006

I booked a room at this hotel after reading the review posted June 06 which indicated the hotel had been renovated and the work completed. However, that is NOT the case. Work is still continuing and according to the desk clerk it is being converted into a Holiday Inn Express and the work is not due for completion for some time yet; that was clearly evident as the breakfast room off the lobby was closed for repairs and what breakfast they offered (extremely limited continental breakfast) was being served from a standard 2nd floor room - - very cramped quarters. Construction was evident everywhere in the hotel and construction materials filled part of the front parking lot. My room was OK, small but servicable with a large plasma TV in the room but the room was small as was the bathroom. Due to construction you cannot make a long distance phone call on the room phone. I am one of the few people who do not carry a cell phone and after returning to my room following dinner, I discovered I had a phone message from my family asking me to call home. The front desk clerk apologized but said I had to go outside the hotel to make any type of long distance call. Luckily it was not an emergency but you would have thought they would have told you this upon check in. At nearly $90 a night my recommendation is that you should stay away from the Inn at Fairfax until all consruction is complete.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
1  Thank Don_Chattanooga
A TripAdvisor Member
VA
Reviewed June 19, 2006

This place was nothing like we expected after reading the review. Everything was brand new! They are doing a complete remodel. The beds were soft, the towels smelled great, and the bath room was clean! The staff was pleasent. We requested extra towels and pillows and they got them right to us. The breakfast was great. You had a choice of cereal, waffles, french toast, muffins, oatmeal, fruit, bagels, coffee, or juice. The eating area was clean. It's w/ in 5 minutes to the metro and it easy to find. For the price of the room we got a bargin!!!! I recomend anyone looking to stay in the DC area to try this place out! you get more than your moneys worth!!!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 10, 2005

My hubby and I spent 3 nights at this Inn. The ownership had changed hands from Wellesley Inn Fairfax to the Inn at Fairfax. According to the dayshift manager, the hotel will become a Holiday Inn Express within 9 months. Our stay was pleasant and affordable. The lobby and room were very clean, and the staff was very polite and helpful. The breakfast area was clean, well stocked, and included a free USA Today newspaper. The elevator had a less than smooth stop, but it wasn't so rough that it would scare you. The king size bed was extremely comfortable, and extra pillows and blankets were available in the room. The ironing board in our room was broken, but staff quickly replaced once notified. If you plan on watching lots of TV please note that there aren't many channels available for free. This was a non-issue for our stay. A Red Lobster is located next door, and it was a wonderful place to have an evening meal. There are plenty other restaurants within a few blocks. We also found that it was a brief 10-15 minute drive to the Vienna/Fairfax Metro station. Although we didn't ride the city bus, one stops directly in front of the hotel. We would stay here again if our travel plans were in the Fairfax area.

• Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank mistymorn
Reviewed July 9, 2005

We stayed here one night in May, 2005. Had it been for more than one night we would've stayed elsewhere. The room was disgusting. The furniture looked like it had been dragged along the highway...the veneers were all scuffed. (I've seen better stuff at a garage sale). The bedspread had some kind of stain on it. The bathroom smelled and there was mold around the bathtub and large chips in the porcelain. The window had some kind of crusty stain on it. My husband and I took the comforter off the bed, but we would not shower in the bathroom or sleep underneath the blanket on the sheets. The only thing the hotel had going for it was a nice Continental breakfast in the morning, which was included in the price.

Do yourself a favor as we should've done and spend the extra money and stay at one of the nicer properties like Candlewood Suites.

• Stayed: May 2005