“Really good value and well run”

Holiday Inn Express Fairfax - Arlington Boulevard
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Fairfax
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Really good value and well run”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed to visit our daughter in Fairfax and to visit Washington DC for 10 days. We were made to feel very welcome and we always felt relaxed. The staff were very helpful and friendly at all times. It has large rooms with fridge, TV, coffee maker, free and fast wifi. The public transport links are good, it's on the bus route and it's easy to get the bus to the metro for DC. There is an Enterprise car rental just up the road so hiring a car to get into the country was easy too.
There were a number of school parties when we were there visiting DC; it made breakfast lively but the rooms were quiet. We were very pleasantly surprised and rate this as very good value.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nick_parsons_oxford
hiefairfax, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Fairfax - Arlington Boulevard, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
It was our pleasure to be at your service and it is a great reward for us to know that you were satisfied with your stay with us. Thank you for sharing your comments with us and we look forward to be at your service again when and if your travel plans bring you back into our area.

Vanessa McManus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New York
Reviewed April 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel because of the location. We needed to get to Vienna and Fairfax easily. The hotel is located near major highways. It was easy to get there from 95 and also 66. The traffic in the area wasn't too bad when we were there. There is no way to turn left out of the parking lot. There is an area where you can turn and come back around to the Fairfax Blvd. if you need to.

We stayed 2 nights and upon our arrival the front desk clerk was standing outside. He returned to the front desk when we walked in the hotel and was efficient in checking us in. The room we were in had a king size bed. The bathroom was small, but clean. There was also an armoire, a flat screen tv, desk and chair and also another chair with a footstool.

Both mornings that we had breakfast we had timed it perfectly so there was not many people. The breakfast employees both days were very friendly. The assortment of breakfast items was good. Hot and cold cereal, toast, muffins and bagels, eggs, sausage, juices, yogurt and fruit. Their pancake maker was not working so we weren't able to enjoy pancakes either morning.

We didn't see any housekeeping staff on our floor, but we did see them near the lobby area. I felt that it was more important for them to get their carts in the elevator, than it was to be patient with guests entering or leaving the elevator or lobby with their luggage. I saw one lady almost trip over the brochure rack while she was trying to get out of the way of the housekkeping cart. I thought it was very rude of the employee not to acknowledge what had happened.

The pricing of the hotel was good and I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lata016
hiefairfax, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Fairfax - Arlington Boulevard, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Your comments are very valuable to us and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. My apologies for the pancakes being out of order.

Teesside, UK
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I stayed here with my mum for a 4 night stay as part of a holiday to Washington DC and New York and I would definitely recommend it to others. It was easy to access from Dulles airport and the Cue bus to the metro and to Fairfax town centre is right outside the hotel's doors. The room was a good size and had a fridge, which was handy for the day we ate at the Red Lobster and I brought back about half of my tea to eat later! Good selection of TV channels and breakfast was nice with a selection of bagels, toast, pancakes, Danish pastries, cereal, juice, egg and sausage. Every staff member I came in contact with was helpful and friendly. They even had a little gym room (not that I used it).
Overall, an excellent trip, thank you.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and for taking your time to tell us about your experience at the Holiday Inn Express Fairfax. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Just completed a 5-day stay at HiEx in Fairfax. I hesitantly booked 5 days for a work trip. As a platinum priority club member, I was skeptical at best. However, I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. The hotel is clean and quiet. Easy access to I-66 and many restaurants. The room, while relatively small, was comfortable. There is a mini-fridge and flat screen TV in each room. The breakfast each morning was fully stocked with eggs, a protein (which changed each day), rolls, oatmeal, pancakes, etc. Great variety for all 5 days of my stay. No upgrades for priority club members and the 8oz bottle of water I was given on arrival was a bit underwhelming. But at least it was something. This hotel is a safe bet if you are in the Fairfax area. I would stay again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank nebgreg
We appreciate you taking the time to share with us your experience at the Holiday Inn Express Fairfax. Your comments are very valuable to us and we look forward to be at your service again.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We arrived late New Years Eve for a short lived weekend in DC. Upon arrival i felt safe, the surrounding area was well lit with a red lobster right next door, plus plenty of other resturants and gas stations on the same street. Check in went smoothly, the gentleman on the desk was friendly and got us into our rooms as quickly as possible. Although small, the rooms seemed newly updated, large flat screen tv, ihome stereo and charging dock and new furnishings were in both of our rooms. We ventured out to spend New Years in DC, it was about a 20 minuite drive, so it's not close enough that i would choose this hotel if i needed to travel back and forth more then acouple times but it was perfect for us. Before heading back for the night we found an IHOP about 7-8 minutes down the road that was actually open at 3am which was a plus. When we finally arrived back to the hotel, the overnight desk agent never offered us a hello, or welcome back or anything of that sorts, she didnt even respond when we shot a happy new years her way, but that in no way ruined our stay. Acouple of us did try to venture down to breakfast around 9am to find it was closed which was disapointing. But overall our stay was enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank PAmommyof1
hiefairfax, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Fairfax - Arlington Boulevard, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Holiday Inn Express Fairfax. We look forward to be at your service again in the future.

Best Regards,
Holiday Inn Express Fairfax
New York
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I have never been inclined to waste time commenting on something so negative-- on to the next thing--until discussing my issues with American Express Customer Service because Holiday Inn & Priority Club did nothing to remedy the worst waste of money on lodging EVER. I should have done my research: this place reeks in more ways than one.
You will not have clean amenities. The rooms are dingy, dirty and mold is everywhere. I turned on the light in the washroom looking for the ONE trash receptacle in the room to see what was the slimiest rooms- I snapped photos, ran down to the desk, and begged to have a room change as I had been there 7 minutes. The front desk non-name tagged guy barely looked up from texting to say yeah, some of our rooms are better than others. I said that room look like a CSI episode was being filmed and he didnt crack a smile said he'd see what he could do. So I wandered over to the "coffee" station to find NADA. no coffee, no hot water, 4 sugar packets, no sweet and low, no cream. As I wandered back over we were the only 2 in the lobby, I inquired if there was coffee being brewed somewhere? He said Starbucks down the road past the diner. Breakfast ended at 9:30. I said coffee is supposed to be served all day? I am looking at your "amenities" listed online, plus I am a rewards club member. Is there bottled water at least for my status? He said its for sale only?!? I said I'd like to speak to a manager, please? He said her name is Virginia she won't be here until Monday and neither will any other management so take a business card. In the mean time I'll try to find you another room while you go get yourself a coffee down the road. He could not have been more rude; he clearly knew I came form the airport without a car as he checked me in 19 minutes prior. Regardless I went into DC and asked to please have another room when I returned. I had to move my own things which was fine, asked for a coffee was denied, and after a restless sleep due to the dripping heater went down to breakfast that was being broken down WAY early. No coffee again! This time it was breakfast, we had to wait for a cup! The area was a disaster including egg all over the floor and both garbage bins were overflowing into the eating area but instead of taking out trash the staff balked when we asked where the food/juice was? I went up to the desk and was told to tell the girl whatever we wanted she'd go get it-- however that was not the case as she told us there are no cinnamon rolls, they weren't delivered. I STAY HERE for the cinnamon rolls they remind me of home, whatever, is there yogurt or fruit? No, we locked the cooler. Is there milk for the coffee? Its after 9:30 we put it away. I wish I had packed up and left at that moment as nothing feels worse knowing the bill is yet to come--
We're just furious this stay cost me so much money but figuring breakfast & coffee was included made it more tolerable until we realized it was not included. Please do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere. Corporate hasn't responded to the moldy and telling photos but when they do I will post.

Room Tip: A rental car would be more comfortable and more accommodating than this terrible place. Next door to...