“Great Dog Friendly Hotel on the Eastern Shore”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Exmore
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Exmore
Hampton, Virginia
“Great Dog Friendly Hotel on the Eastern Shore”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed there on the eve of the Between the Shore bike ride. We paid $79.00 total for the room that included a nice hot breakfast. Note there is no pet fee. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. The property also adjoins some fields, so there was ample room to walk the dogs. The hotel staff is courteous and friendly. Easy to find off of highway 13, the hotel is well located to access some the of the great places on the Eastern Shore. When visiting the area, ensure you go to Turner Galleries to see some terrific bronze wildlife sculptures, about 9 miles north of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Debbie R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Exmore, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We had beautiful weather for the bike ride on the shore that weekend. Our staff truly care about out guest and their pets. Our goal is to take care of our guest 100% of the time. This truly is a team effort. Look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Washington Township, Ohio
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed here when we did the Between the Waters bike tour in October. Staff friendly and helpful.
The breakfast that was included with the room was good. Room was quiet even though we were close to the elevator.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Debbie R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Exmore, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
We would like to Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It is a great time of year for the Between the Water bike ride we did have beautiful weather . I'm pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay . Our breakfast is awesome ( I love the pancake machine is great) Look forward to seeing you next year.
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Friendly efficient reception staff. Shonda was great there. Found a partial "leftover" in the toilet when I first entered the room. While it's easily remedied with a flush, it is really housekeeping 101. The rest of the suite was clean and had plenty of room. The TV took awhile to boot up - 15 minutes. For about 5 minutes the TV just said "no signal." Now it is stuck on the weather channel. Had to directly use the controls on the wall mounted box to change channels. Remote seems to only do power, mute and volume. If I were here longer I would ask them to fix it. Hotel is close to a shopping plaza with a grocery store. Easy access from the main highway.

Stayed October 2013
I am truly sorry about the toilet we do strive to check every room before our guest check-in. I will bring this to our executive housekeeper . We also have called Direct TV tech about the situation with our service . We do thank you for bring both this situations to our attention . This helps us make improvements in our service . Hopefully you will stay with us again and you will view our improvements.
Smithfield, Virginia
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I have reviewed a lot of places and this place is a good stay. I read the reviews and saw a few bad reviews but after staying here can only figure some people just can't be pleased. So I would disregard the bad reviews as the good ones are more like the stay here. The staff was pleasant, efficient and knowledgeable. The king room at the back of the hotel on the third floor we had was large, clean and quiet. Good water pressure and lots of hot water in the clean bathroom. Coffee in the room, ice on each floor with drink machine. The breakfast had eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, cereals, coffee, several types of juice, fruit and GREAT warm cinnamon rolls. Plenty of food and supplies and alert staff doing a good job even emptying the trash so no over flow of dirty dishes. The room was clean with lots of tables and was very busy but everyone looked like they were getting a good breakfast and were happy. I sat in the lobby after eating and saw lots of people coming and going and one man told the front desk "Holiday Inn was right...I feel smarter after staying at Holiday Inn Express". Now I can only think he must have had a good stay too! This is a good stopover from Nags Head and other beach stays. Prices are good also and the Hotel is new. There is also a nice exercise room, WiFi and a small indoor pool that looked inviting. The other couple with us said they had a good stay too. Worth it and I appreciate the good stay!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are away from the road and quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JLDC
Debbie R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Exmore, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
I remember that comment being made as well. It put a smile on my face that morning. I thank you for such a great review. It means alot to us to hear back from the guests, both good and bad. Especially the good, as our staff works very hard to try to accomodate as many people as they can during such a busy season. To read your review makes every effort feel worth it! Thank you again.
Little Falls, NJ
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I have come to rely on HIE for a good place to spend a night but this one did not meet with the usual standards of the chain. When I realized this hotel accepted pets, I immediately called the hotel and explained that I was highly allergic to animals and I was asthmatic, and I wanted to cancel the reservation. I was assured that the 3rd floor of the hotel was definitely smoke free and pet free and I would be assigned a room on this "safe" floor. As I entered the hotel, the barking of dogs greeted me. This made me a little uncomfortable, but I went to my 3rd floor pet free smoke free room with high hopes. As soon as the door opened, I was overwhelmed by the smell of room deodorizer. Upon taking the elevator back to the lobby, a man with a bull dog in tow entered the elevator with me. Shocked to see an animal on the "safe" floor, I asked the man if he was staying on the 3rd floor and he replied "yes". I went straight to the front desk and began to reveal what I had learned. They said they knew and were trying to find another room for this man and his dog. The desk said they were unaware that the man was traveling with a pet. The desk attendant also said housekeeping would see to it that the room was sanitized and deodorized. (Had my room also had a similar problem?) At this point I attempted to find another hotel, but there was no other room available at the other hotels in the area. Reluctantly, I took extra meds, slept with a pillow I had taken from home and kept the air conditioner on high to filter the air. To compensate for my troubles, the front desk attendant gave me 1000 points towards my IHG Rewards Club. This was a nice gesture, but I explained that my health was certainly worth more that any amount of Rewards Club points.
Other problems:
The phone buttons for automated services,(housekeeping, front desk, wake-up call, etc.) did not work, so I was unable to make an automated request for a wake-up call. Not to be deterred, I dialed the operator and reached the front desk. I told the attendant that the phone buttons did not work. She said she was aware of the situation. Obviously, it was not something that the hotel deemed worthy of fixing. I then told the attendant that it was really important that I receive a wake-up call at 6:00 am. She assured me that my request would be honored. I am sorry to say that I never received a wake-up call. The room alarm clock did not work and I overslept. I understand this is my problem, but in a well-run, well-equipped hotel, this would have been a mute point.
Breakfast was to be served at 7:00 am. I arrived at the breakfast room at 7:15 am and was one of the first patrons there. Of the 4 coffee carafes, 3 were empty and everyone was vying for the one filled carafe. (Who needs this tension first thing in the morning?) The pancake machine was out of batter and the bagels and muffins were fresh from the freezer and were still frozen to prove it!
The shower curtain smelled sour and needed to be changed. There is no excuse for this, and had I been able to contact housekeeping on the phone, I would have requested a new shower curtain.
There were other minor problems which, under normal circumstances, would have been overlooked. Unfortunately, when these small inconveniences begin to pile up, they tend to leave the consumer with a bad impression.
On the positive side, the location of the hotel was very convenient and the room seemed clean.
Normally, I am not a complainer, as my other reviews can attest. However, this hotel was such a disappointment. The hotel is a busy place, directly on the route to The Outer Banks. Better management and more attention to detail could make this stop a real find.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank love2travel206
Dear love2travel206,

Even though your review was not in our favor, it was well thought out and well written. I welcome everyone's thoughts, opinions and feelings...more so when it concerns our hotel. I apologize sincerely for the trials you went through during your stay with us. I would really appreciate it if you would contact me personally so we can discuss this. hiexexmore@gmail.com is my email. I hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Davis

Travelers are raving about these Exmore hotels

Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Clean Room. Clean hotel. Comfortable room. Courteous staff. Quite full when we went. Lack of a decent fruit selection at breakfast compared to other HIEs. Treadmill in fitness room a little below quality of most HIEs as well. Nice pool, very popular with a large quantity of kids there. Great value for the price paid.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your response. We value our guests' opinions and do what we can to intergrate suggestions into how we do things around the hotel. We are including a healthier addition to our breakfast so the next time you stop in, we hope that you'll be pleased. Our exercise equipment are due to be upgraded but I do apologize for its condition while you were here. We hope to see you again and also hope you'll enjoy are changes in the future!
Southern Tier NYS
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed 4 nights and were wowed by the kindness of the employees- from front desk, to housekeeping. Our suite was huge, clean, and comfortable. It was a very quiet hotel. We had no TV issues, we did need to get another code for the Wifi on our last morning. This was a great base for exploring the peninsula.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Debbie R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Exmore, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Fantastic guest! Thank you for taking the time to appreciate our efforts. It always helps build up the pride in our staff when they read such great reviews. We look forward to serving you the next time you come around our way!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exmore
Hampton Inn & Suites Exmore - Eastern Shore
Bay Haven Inn of Cape Charles
Bay Haven Inn of Cape Charles
#1 of 9 in Cape Charles
Virginia Landing RV Campground

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Exmore? Share your experiences!