“Good stop, clean and pleasant staff”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Exmore
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Exmore
Smithfield, Virginia
“Good stop, clean and pleasant staff”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I have reviewed a lot of places and this place is a good stay. I read the reviews and saw a few bad reviews but after staying here can only figure some people just can't be pleased. So I would disregard the bad reviews as the good ones are more like the stay here. The staff was pleasant, efficient and knowledgeable. The king room at the back of the hotel on the third floor we had was large, clean and quiet. Good water pressure and lots of hot water in the clean bathroom. Coffee in the room, ice on each floor with drink machine. The breakfast had eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, cereals, coffee, several types of juice, fruit and GREAT warm cinnamon rolls. Plenty of food and supplies and alert staff doing a good job even emptying the trash so no over flow of dirty dishes. The room was clean with lots of tables and was very busy but everyone looked like they were getting a good breakfast and were happy. I sat in the lobby after eating and saw lots of people coming and going and one man told the front desk "Holiday Inn was right...I feel smarter after staying at Holiday Inn Express". Now I can only think he must have had a good stay too! This is a good stopover from Nags Head and other beach stays. Prices are good also and the Hotel is new. There is also a nice exercise room, WiFi and a small indoor pool that looked inviting. The other couple with us said they had a good stay too. Worth it and I appreciate the good stay!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are away from the road and quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JLDC
Debbie R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Exmore, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
I remember that comment being made as well. It put a smile on my face that morning. I thank you for such a great review. It means alot to us to hear back from the guests, both good and bad. Especially the good, as our staff works very hard to try to accomodate as many people as they can during such a busy season. To read your review makes every effort feel worth it! Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Little Falls, NJ
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I have come to rely on HIE for a good place to spend a night but this one did not meet with the usual standards of the chain. When I realized this hotel accepted pets, I immediately called the hotel and explained that I was highly allergic to animals and I was asthmatic, and I wanted to cancel the reservation. I was assured that the 3rd floor of the hotel was definitely smoke free and pet free and I would be assigned a room on this "safe" floor. As I entered the hotel, the barking of dogs greeted me. This made me a little uncomfortable, but I went to my 3rd floor pet free smoke free room with high hopes. As soon as the door opened, I was overwhelmed by the smell of room deodorizer. Upon taking the elevator back to the lobby, a man with a bull dog in tow entered the elevator with me. Shocked to see an animal on the "safe" floor, I asked the man if he was staying on the 3rd floor and he replied "yes". I went straight to the front desk and began to reveal what I had learned. They said they knew and were trying to find another room for this man and his dog. The desk said they were unaware that the man was traveling with a pet. The desk attendant also said housekeeping would see to it that the room was sanitized and deodorized. (Had my room also had a similar problem?) At this point I attempted to find another hotel, but there was no other room available at the other hotels in the area. Reluctantly, I took extra meds, slept with a pillow I had taken from home and kept the air conditioner on high to filter the air. To compensate for my troubles, the front desk attendant gave me 1000 points towards my IHG Rewards Club. This was a nice gesture, but I explained that my health was certainly worth more that any amount of Rewards Club points.
Other problems:
The phone buttons for automated services,(housekeeping, front desk, wake-up call, etc.) did not work, so I was unable to make an automated request for a wake-up call. Not to be deterred, I dialed the operator and reached the front desk. I told the attendant that the phone buttons did not work. She said she was aware of the situation. Obviously, it was not something that the hotel deemed worthy of fixing. I then told the attendant that it was really important that I receive a wake-up call at 6:00 am. She assured me that my request would be honored. I am sorry to say that I never received a wake-up call. The room alarm clock did not work and I overslept. I understand this is my problem, but in a well-run, well-equipped hotel, this would have been a mute point.
Breakfast was to be served at 7:00 am. I arrived at the breakfast room at 7:15 am and was one of the first patrons there. Of the 4 coffee carafes, 3 were empty and everyone was vying for the one filled carafe. (Who needs this tension first thing in the morning?) The pancake machine was out of batter and the bagels and muffins were fresh from the freezer and were still frozen to prove it!
The shower curtain smelled sour and needed to be changed. There is no excuse for this, and had I been able to contact housekeeping on the phone, I would have requested a new shower curtain.
There were other minor problems which, under normal circumstances, would have been overlooked. Unfortunately, when these small inconveniences begin to pile up, they tend to leave the consumer with a bad impression.
On the positive side, the location of the hotel was very convenient and the room seemed clean.
Normally, I am not a complainer, as my other reviews can attest. However, this hotel was such a disappointment. The hotel is a busy place, directly on the route to The Outer Banks. Better management and more attention to detail could make this stop a real find.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank love2travel206
Dear love2travel206,

Even though your review was not in our favor, it was well thought out and well written. I welcome everyone's thoughts, opinions and feelings...more so when it concerns our hotel. I apologize sincerely for the trials you went through during your stay with us. I would really appreciate it if you would contact me personally so we can discuss this. hiexexmore@gmail.com is my email. I hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Davis

Travelers are raving about these Exmore hotels

Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Clean Room. Clean hotel. Comfortable room. Courteous staff. Quite full when we went. Lack of a decent fruit selection at breakfast compared to other HIEs. Treadmill in fitness room a little below quality of most HIEs as well. Nice pool, very popular with a large quantity of kids there. Great value for the price paid.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your response. We value our guests' opinions and do what we can to intergrate suggestions into how we do things around the hotel. We are including a healthier addition to our breakfast so the next time you stop in, we hope that you'll be pleased. Our exercise equipment are due to be upgraded but I do apologize for its condition while you were here. We hope to see you again and also hope you'll enjoy are changes in the future!
Southern Tier NYS
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed 4 nights and were wowed by the kindness of the employees- from front desk, to housekeeping. Our suite was huge, clean, and comfortable. It was a very quiet hotel. We had no TV issues, we did need to get another code for the Wifi on our last morning. This was a great base for exploring the peninsula.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Debbie R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Exmore, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Fantastic guest! Thank you for taking the time to appreciate our efforts. It always helps build up the pride in our staff when they read such great reviews. We look forward to serving you the next time you come around our way!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Clean Hotel. Staff needs to be better informed as to what IHG Offers. Internet was hit or miss for the 2 days I stayed. TV reception was less than adequate with the signal being interrupted MANY times.
Reception Staff was experiencing one of those "hit or miss" internet times when I was checking out and unable to provide me with a copy of my bill [required for my job], I took the lady's word when she told me she would email me a copy when she was able. 2 days and still no bill...
Called the hotel and spoke with a lady who could barely understand, not much less speak english and had no idea about reward points or much of anything else.
Sad to say but if I stay in Exmore again it will probably be at a competitor's place

Room Tip: West side has less road noise
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
I am very sorry to hear that you did not have the best experience at our hotel. Internet in a building of this size can be tricky but I promise it will be looked into. We truly want the best for our guests. As for your bill, again, I am sorry for the inconvenience. If you are still in need of it, please feel free to contact us and we will have it sent out immediately.
Fennville, Michigan, United States
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed for four nights in June. Great place, right in the middle of the peninsula. Attended a wedding in Cape Charles, spent time at the beach, and went up to Chincoteague. Great vacation! Katie recommended Little Italy for a meal. We were not disappointed. Wonderful Italian food served by a friendly family! We'd definitely stay hear again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the great review! It is always a pleasure to hear how appreciated our hard work is. We strive to make everyone's stay as pleasant and as comfortable as we can and reading such nice words, it definately makes it worth the effort!
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

This place is a nightmare! My girlfriend and her kids been to this hotel a few times. loved it! But one weekend we reserved a room.. like we always have!. do to a death in our family we were unable to stay... well, we forgot to cancel the room. this place still charged us for the room...even tho we never stayed...oh yeah jennifer the so called manager was no help at all...its been two weeks im still waitng for her call...so if you see this place just drive past it and dont waist ur time

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank faster3835
Debbie R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Exmore, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
I am sorry that you feel slighted. Every hotel has a cancellation policy, whether it works in your favor or not. Especially during the summer when rooms are in demand, more especially when it is a special type of room that is limited in number. We are a bit more lenient then several hotels, meaning our cancellation policy is that we give you till 6pm on the day of arrival to cancel a reservation. Our policy for a "no-show" (which is someone who makes a reservation and does not call to cancel or show up) is to charge a "no-show" fee.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exmore
Hampton Inn & Suites Exmore - Eastern Shore
#1 of 9 in Cape Charles
Fig Street Inn
Fig Street Inn
#3 of 9 in Cape Charles

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Exmore? Share your experiences!