“Camping @ the Wilderness Campgrounds fall of 2011”

Wilderness Road State Park
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Yes, my son, grandson & I went camping in the campgrounds in Oct of 2012 We really
had a blast. We spent 3 days & nights. The first night, we nearly froze, second night
a heat wave, third night ,a wash out. We would wake to the sound of bears & wolves.
We tried to climb to the Sand Cave 2000 ft above sea level but we only got to 1,800
ft. I mean this was a trip in it's own. I still think it is more than 2000 ft up that mountain.
It took us 4 hrs up and 3&1/2 down. Pretty good trip for a 72 year old, I think. We
really learned how to build fires, because we cooked all our meals on the open pit.
We plan to go back some time and continue the hike to the cave. I did not know all this
was up there ,when I was growing up as a child in Ewing, Va.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"film"
"horses"

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We make a point to travel and visit as many of our national and state parks as we can. Although this one does not have much to offer in the way of amenities, it would be a nice picnic spot and break point during a trip. The major downside to this park in our experience was the staff. Normally we find them very cordial and pleasant. Never before have we encountered such standoffish and almost rude personnel at a state or national park.

3  Thank Travelin_T-Man
Reviewed May 14, 2012

My name is Betty Brooks(Merritt). I was born and raised in Ewing. My dad use to take
my sisters and brothers to the Sand Cave. My last visit to the Sand Cave was in 1966.
It took us all day up the mountain. There were no trails to follow. We literely had to blaze the trail. Half day up and half day down. the Sand Cave was amazing, and still today it amazes me of God's wonder. I wrote a poem about this cave a few years ago.
Everyone at my church was amazed about the poem. My sons and grandchildren plan to visit our town in the fall and go back to the Sand Cave. Lots of memories linger from
where I was born. My dad was the late Thurman Brooks .
230 Hurricane Circle, La Vergne, Tn 37086

3  Thank Betty M
Reviewed May 7, 2012

My family really enjoy visiting on the re-enactment weekend. The attack on Matin's Station is very exciting! The guns and cannons can be pretty loud if you have little ones who don't tolerate loud sounds very well. My six year old boys loved it! The re-enactors "live" in the village for the weekend. The kids were able to see soap-making, gun-making, live stock and other ways of life for the pioneers who lived in the village. The mountain scenery is beautiful!

1  Thank HarlanKY