“Which Price and What Time of the Day”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Emporia
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Emporia
Reviewed June 22, 2011

My parents were traveling with my wife and I on a return trip home from Myrtle Beach, SC. We needed a place to stay for the night. So we selected this hotel from one of those free booklets you get from a visitors rest stop area. The price was listed as $64.55 for 1-2 people. When my mother called using her cell phone, the hotel said, they wouldn't honor that price. But would give it to her for $84 with her AARP discount and that was at 4:20PM. So when we found this place off of I-95 I went into confirm price. The lady behind the desk said with your mom's AARP discount it will be $109 at 4:45PM. So I went back out to my car to inform my mother of the rate. So thats when she went in an spoke to the same woman. We got the rate first quoted on the phone. What a difference a few minutes will cost you. The $64 dollar rate is for walk- ins only we were told. No calling ahead for a room reservation I guess not allowed by this hotel. A week later I checked the room rates and it was $89 per night. Oh and the hot tub by the pool had no hot water. The air-conditioner in the room shut off during the middle of the night and didn't go back on. The phone in the room had no listing on it for the front desk. So I had to tell the front desk in the morning when checking out. The indoor swimming pool was only 5 ft. deep, and no bigger than my living room. They should have a deeper swimming area.

Room Tip: Walk-in with coupon in hand don't call ahead
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank travelbycar2011

Reviewed June 16, 2011

We were on our way to Myrtle Beach and had to decide where to stop for the night. Trip advisor reviewers rated this hotel no. 1 but there were cheaper ones in town and we were tempted to stay in one since just passing through. Reports of bugs and bad odors at some places made us decide to stay at Country inn and Suites and we were really happy we did. Comfortable clean bed and great breakfast in a large room with ample space for travelers. Attendant was always filling food and I loved the fact their was real oatmeal, not instant. The only negative comment I can make is about the night attendant. Hotel sign was not lit up when we tried to find the hotel and this guy's comment was "oh I just didn't get around to turning it on yet." And it was 10pm! I would highly recommend this hotel and suggest travelers look for roomsaver coupons at visitors centers and rest areas because we saved over $25.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank 2seniorcitizens
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed here one night during a very long road trip. We had been driving all day (10 hours, at least) and had a full day of driving to do the next day. We were not planning on checking in to the hotel until after midnight, and we were unfamiliar with the area, so we took a gamble on this place based on several positive reviews. We were only there the one night, literally just to have a place to sleep before we continued on our travel route, and we were pleasantly surprised with this hotel. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. Every person we came in contact with was pleasant, which is very nice after being in a car for so many hours. The property and our room was very clean, which is SO important to me when we travel. It is my number one priority in finding a hotel, so I was happy to see that this place met my standards. There have been many times during previous road trips that we got stuck in dumpy and filthy locations in the middle of the night when we stopped to sleep.....and I was very relieved to see that this place was comfortable and clean.

In the morning, the hotel offers a breakfast, which is great since we didn't have to take the time (or extra expense) to find a restaurant. The breakfast included fresh, hot waffles....which made my kids happy. The staff was very helpful and friendly. There was a young man working there who was constantly moving around the room checking to make sure everything was running smoothly and that supplies of food/drinks were continuously replenished. We appreciated this service and attention to detail.

To be honest, we had hoped to spend a little less on a hotel that night, since we checked in so late and checked out so early.....but we were comfortable during our stay there, and that made up for the extra cost that we had to put down for the night. I have made a note in our travel books about this place, and we will certainly look into staying there on our future road trips that take us through that area.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MamaTraveler1
Reviewed May 14, 2011

This is our third year in a row using Emporia as our stop on the way to Myrtle Beach. We decided to stay here this year rather than the hotel we used the previous two years just to change things up and try it. We were very happy that we did. While there is nothing wrong with where we used to stay, the Country Inn and Suites is nicer. The staff was very pleasant and the biggest advantge is that this hotel is much closer to places to eat than the others. Great Place.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2011

After a scare regarding bed bugs at the hotel across the street, we opted to stay at the Country Inn & Suites. The staff is super accommodating and the room was superb. I can't tell you how comfortable the bed felt...wow out like a light. Great night.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed February 17, 2011

I can never say anything but good things about every Country Inn & Suites that I have stayed in. I've read bad reviews about some, but have never stayed in any of those. This place was so clean and neat that I couldnt believe it. The bathroom was spotless. The microwave and fridge were spotless. The Front desk clerk was friendly. The breakfast was good and I went to breakfast 20 mins before time to close. I'm always amazed at how nice these hotels are and how safe and comfortable I feel in them. AND GUESS WHAT??...it was absolutely FREE! I got a free nite for staying several times before. Oh well...I probably wont be getting another free night because I cant afford to stay in hotels like I did last year...lol. But dont worry about this one...you cant go wrong.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2011

This hotel was extremely clean and comfortable. The room was a nice size. The breakfast room was also very clean and well maintained and the staff were extremely helpful and nice.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emporia
Hampton Inn Emporia
Best Western Emporia
Best Western Emporia
#5 of 12 in Emporia
Hilton Garden Inn Roanoke Rapids

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Emporia? Share your experiences!