“A basket full of delight”
Review of C & S Diner

C & S Diner
Ranked #9 of 24 Restaurants in Elkton
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This tiny little jewel in Elkton is hard to find but well worth the effort. The decor seems to be all about baskets and was filled with locals when we walked in. Never were we made to feel like outsiders.
The food was freshly made and specially tailored to accommodate my food allergies. The service was wonderful and the prices were very reasonable.

A great find!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

My father in law is a lot more adventurous than I am and this place is a local joint without a doubt. We were staying at the Massanutten Resort and on the way out my father in law wanted to stop somewhere local since according to him that is where the best food is. This is normally true but it is also the place where you will disappear. The moment we walked through the doors I was ready to just turn around and leave. Everyone and I mean everyone just stared at us and they gave us the look of you don't belong here. After a few minutes of awkward staring we were seated. The waitress was nice enough but the other patrons were just watching us the entire time. The food took a while to come out like almost an hour. I will say the menu did warn us that the food takes a while. The menu though was the next step in the process of confirming "oh man are were in the wrong place and do not belong here." I was feeling the entire time. This place is religious...like really religious as in brimstone and fire kinda religious. The entire menu was littered with some super creepy bible quotes and other quotes that did not make me feel comfortable in any way. Finally the food came out. Mine came out about 15 minutes after everyone else but I will give the restaurant credit they do make a great meal. It is just a case of not being a place for anyone unless you are a local. The atmosphere was bad enough to warrant a 1 out of 5. At no point during my meal did I feel entirely comfortable.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Simply put, AVOID! Judging by the previous experiences, mine must be an aberration, but I ordered 2 eggs and toast and it took over an hour and ten minutes for the orders to catch up to my table. Even then I wasn't served. At this point all parties having entered before me were served, but at this point they started serving tables that had came in after me. At this point I left very disappointed.

I believe our table was the only one where the ticket was lost, but the average wait time was still over an hour, no matter what the order size apparently. A party of 4 stormed out having waited less time than I did.

I wasn't offered anything for the waste of time and what I can only call an utter disrespect for customers. I should have left when I saw their menu states their service is slow. I assumed this meant that my two eggs would maybe take 30 minutes. Over an hour is beyond incompetence and clearly mismanaged.

What a shame. I find this kind of experience worse than getting bad food. It wastes your time, you have to spend additional time finding somewhere else to eat, and at that point you are just hungry and tired.

Avoid!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We were on our way home from Massanutten Resort, looking for a breakfast diner because the only decent one on the resort was closed. We were going to stop at Ray's Diner but they didn't take credit or debit cards and the place was way too crowded, so we turned around and went back to C&S Diner - and I'm so glad we did!
The food was delicious down home cooking, there was plenty of room for our family and at least ten more, and they accepted credit/debit cards. It was mostly locals dining, but they were very welcoming to us out-of-towners.
Our kids were a little wirey from vacation, so they were up and down from the table and nobody seemed to mind. The locals were very sweet to our children.
Our two year old loved the eggs and ham, our 6 year old loved their blueberry pancakes, my sausage, cheese, and onion omelet was tasty, even thought I wish it was a little fluffier, and my husband gobbled up every last bit of his gravy and biscuits and country fried steak with homefries.
There was even a family celebrating a loved ones birthday over breakfast! Truly an overall great dining experience.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is a place where everybody knows your name, if you are local. Good basic breakfast choices. Low prices with Coffee at $ 1.25 with Free refills. Weakness was the slow service, but it was Sunday 8:30 am.

Been to C & S Diner? Share your experiences!