“Fun ride, safe crew”
Review of Valley Ballooning

Valley Ballooning
Ranked #6 of 7 things to do in Edinburg
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Like others, we purchased an online deal for a balloon ride for two . . . though we didn't get to take our trip on our honeymoon, as planned, we were able to reschedule for 10 months later (!) and finally got our ride in! Yes, the trips are very dependent on the weather -- and other riders were frustrated about the variable conditions. But I took that as a sign that the crew was being really safe, obviously important during an experience like this.

We were picked up at the designated spot in Woodstock (a well-lit Walmart parking lot), then driven to a launch site at a local high school. The ride in the company van was less than 15 minutes. Once airborne, the views were gorgeous! We took a sunset cruise and couldn't believe the views of the mountains. Our pilot was very nice and organized, speaking often to the ground crew so they would be able to determine where to meet us once we landed (in a friendly neighborhood).

Though disappointed we couldn't take our ride on our honeymoon (not their fault!), we really enjoyed a weekend getaway to travel with Valley Ballooning and look forward to our next hot air balloon ride!

1  Thank MarylandCupcakelover

Reviewed September 3, 2013

From the moment we met Cap'n Dan we felt at ease. My husband and I decided to something different for our 36th anniversary, and choose Valley Hot Air Ballooning for some excitement and special memories. We had to reschedule a couple times due to poor weather conditions, which I appreciated. He explained each phase of the ride for us, from releasing the test balloon, to allowing my husband to assist with filling the balloon, how to enter and exit the basket and proper landing techniques.
The ride itself was awesome! The views unbelievable and Cap'n Dan had a quiet, self assured air about him that allowed me to relax and enjoy the ride.
I would recommend them to anyone, from first time flyers, to people who have flown multiple times.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

April easily rescheduled us after I had an unexpected business trip. We got to the meet up site after spending the day exploring the area. There had been a few pop up storms that day so we had to wait a little longer to see if it would be safe to go up. Finally, we got the go ahead. The flight was well worth the wait! It was gorgeous! Don explained everything as he was going. It was warm in the basket and it was a bit noisy when the propane was blowing, but it was so quiet and serene when it wasn't. Take your camera!

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

My mother bought a Groupon they had for a trip for two. Due to the weather and once a flat tire on the drive to Woodstock (where the company is actually located; Edinburg is just the mailing address) we had to reschedule I think 8 times before we made it off the ground. For others in our group though, this was their first attempt.
Valley Ballooning was very accommodating with rescheduling, and even let us extend the Groupon past its expiration so that we could try again.
Our balloon captain was very experienced and we had a wonderful time on our sunrise flight! Due to wind conditions we didn't go up very high so that we could stay in a slower air current, but if was beautiful to view the Shenandoah valley from not far above the treetops. If I could afford it I'd go back every year at least!

1  Thank flyingsails
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I did not have some of the problems experienced by others who have reviewed this company because we purchased a third-party certificate. However, it did take us ten reservations before we could fly. We had to travel to Woodstock and stay overnight and estimate that we spent at least two thousand dollars in travel costs. Had we known that ballooning was such an "iffy" proposition, we would not have attempted this.

I just checked Valley Ballooning's website to be sure that I didn't miss anything but they do not have the following information on their site and they either should or they should supply "equipment" to make for a more comfortable ride. When the balloon is being fully inflated (after the riders are in the basket), it is EXTREMELY hot. Valley Ballooning should suggest that riders wear or have available long-sleeved thick shirts. The company could also provide some kind of "fire blanket" to cover the riders during this part of inflation. It is also an extremely LOUD ride most of the time, due to the propane heaters needing to be constantly fired up to keep the balloon inflated. Hearing protection should be provided. How much can those scrunchy yellow ear plugs cost, really? Even if the company does not wish to provide them, they should put a warning on their site.

April DOES leave a lot to be desired as a scheduler. She rarely responded to my husband's first email for each reservation. He usually had to email her a second time in order to get a response.

In short, while I did enjoy the balloon ride once we finally got to take it, it was not worth the total cost. (Yes, I realize you can't control the weather!) I also would not use this company again or recommend them.

2  Thank MarylandCatmom