“'hidden treasure in my backyard”
Review of Mateo's Santa Fe Cafe - CLOSED

Mateo's Santa Fe Cafe
Cuisines: Spanish
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This place is great. The food, entertainment and atmosphere. Great service too might I add. Weekends feature live music as well.

There are newer reviews for Mateo's Santa Fe Cafe

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I've eaten here twice, and come away impressed both times. They offer nightly specials like 1/2 off on tacos, or reduced price wine. The same young lady has waited on me both times and was always helpful with menu suggestions.
The food is very tasty and appears to be made with fresh ingredients. The portions are generous without being ridiculous. The value is exceptional!!
I'll definitely be returning soon.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were looking for something different for dinner and had heard good things about Mateo's. Mateo's is certainly unassuming with it's strip mall location, but don't let that stop you. Outside of their front door we were greeted by the restaurant's herb/vegetable container garden. I saw that as a sign of yummy things to come.

It happened to be Taco Tuesday, which meant all taco's were 1/2 price. I'm not a taco lover but in the interest of getting a deal I ordered a beef taco. I was a little worried I was still going to be hungry with only two tacos, I thought they'd be small like fast food tacos. Not only was I was full after just one taco, but it was THE BEST TACO I have ever eaten. My mother-in-law, husband, and daughters loved theirs too, which is saying a lot with our group. :) We also loved the salsa and my five year old devoured the queso we ordered.

Not to leave out the service, we were greeted by a friendly hostess at the door who promptly showed us to our table. The server was just a friendly and attentive. After our food arrived, the chef/owner came by to make sure we were pleased with our food. We were!

Mateo's was a great experience for me and my family. We will be back!

1  Thank HipptyHop2
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We use to come here often. Now it is only once in awhile. Food quality hasn't been an issue. We like everything we have tried. The problem is how long we have to wait for anything (water, to place an order, refills, etc). Today there were fruit flies all around our table. They do change the menu an awful lot, so I often have to look for something new as what I liked is no longer there.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I was very skeptical of going to the restaurant that advertises Northern New Mexican cuisine as I was highly disappointed with Little Anita's in NoVA. Upon arrival and reading the menu, I could see that they were on the right track with specific items that only come from New Mexico. My wife ordered the chile relleno and I had the carne adovada burrito. Perfect!! Everything hit the spot and took me back home to Santa Fe. The chili could've been a bit more hotter, but that's just a personal preference. The sopaipillas topped it all off at the end. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who knows of the Northern NM food and to anyone else who wants to get a taste of it.