“Home Away From Home”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Bonaire, Georgia
“Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I was very skeptical of going to the restaurant that advertises Northern New Mexican cuisine as I was highly disappointed with Little Anita's in NoVA. Upon arrival and reading the menu, I could see that they were on the right track with specific items that only come from New Mexico. My wife ordered the chile relleno and I had the carne adovada burrito. Perfect!! Everything hit the spot and took me back home to Santa Fe. The chili could've been a bit more hotter, but that's just a personal preference. The sopaipillas topped it all off at the end. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who knows of the Northern NM food and to anyone else who wants to get a taste of it.

• Visited July 2013

Manassas, Virginia
“Kokopeli doesn't live here anymore”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

My wife and I went to lunch at Mateo's Santa Fe Cafe this past week only to discover it was not the same place we went to about a year ago. My wife ordered the Chicken Enchiladas with red chili sauce and I had the Barbeque Mahi Tacos with Mango salsa. Both came with beans and Spanish rice. When the plates arrived, my wife's plate was extremely hot, so hot the red chili sauce was baked on the plate. The fish tacos came in flour totillas and had a "Southwestern slaw" and the mango salsa. I could have had avocado and tomatoes on it but deferred. The slaw as very wet and made the tacos so soggy that the only way to eat them was with a knife and fork. As I note, my wife's plate was so hot that not just the chili sauce but the enchiladas were stuck (baked) to the plate. I don't know if it was left under a heat lamp while my plate was prepared or what but...

The service was good but that is about all I can say for the place. Will we return? I doubt it. If you are going and expecting authentic Santa Fe style food, this probably isn't the place.

P.S. For some reason, the rating system below only lets you rate things as excellent. I would rate the food at no better and 2 and the same with value. Atmosphere was OK. I don't have a rating for anything else.

• Visited August 2013
Hooks, Texas
“Not really mexican food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

It was an uscale restaurant but its dishes is not what I really consider mexican food. My dad just ordered a burger becuse everything other than fajitias were made with strange indgredients etc. I got taqitas and they were noting special. The BBQ sauce they drizzled over it was good but there was hardly any on it so they were mostly dry. They were very expensive.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank TinTexas
Manassas, Virginia
“Hair in my salad THREE DIFFERENT TIMES”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I used to eat at Mateo's regularly. They have a particular salad that was my favorite; however, on three separate occasions I found a black hair in the salad. I wrote a letter to the management and never heard back. If they can't take a minute to assure me that corrective measures have been taken to correct such unsanitary habits, then I refuse to eat there ever again.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Kate Z
Woodbridge, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't miss this one!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

We went based on the recommendation of some friends, and we were not disappointed. Excellent southwest Santa Fe style, not many get it right, but this place definitely does. Love the Kokopelli motif! Well done classy restaurant!

• Visited January 2013