WINNER WONDERLAND

“Welcome Respite in Dulles Airport” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Firkin & Fox - CLOSED

The Firkin & Fox
Cuisines: British, American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Woodstock, Vermont
“Welcome Respite in Dulles Airport”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Airport restaurants are hard to rate because generally you are a little under duress when you seek them out, either from being tired from a day's flights or stressed about the next connection. This one caused me to laugh out loud as soon as I saw it because I misread the word before Fox! It was immediately inviting and a relief from the pressures of the day since we had alread had two flights canceled due to the storm Sandy. The Sam Adams Special beer was dark and really good. That eased some of the stress. A Cottage Pie was served in a small oblong pottery dish with lots of meat inside with peas under a bed of whipped potato. Now I can't imagine that they make all of those pot pies right there, but perhaps. It was hot and really tasted good. My partner had the Cajun Wings and finished them right off, so I know they were good. If I ever go back through Dulles again, I will seek this place out. Our waitress seemed to be from somewhere in the Caribbean with the most wonderful hairdoo, accent and attitude. She truly expressed concern for us and our tribulations re flight cancelations, etc. She made our time there special.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

U.S.
“Excellent service, delicious burgers. Crowded.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Filled almost to capacity most of the time, but not uncomfortably overcrowded. Our burgers were surprisingly delicious, didn't expect that kind of quality at the airport. The service was impeccable. This is a really good place to spend time between flights.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Traveler0987654321
Arlington, Virginia
“Great booths, good atmostphere, average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

We had several hours to kill at Dulles International Airport, concourse C, and wanted a place to get away from the crowds and loudness of the airport for a meal.

We decided on Firkin and Fox almost solely because it had booths, and this option looked more comfortable than the stool and table option that pretty much every place else was offering.

After about a 5 minute wait for a booth, we were seated. The restaurant itself is fun, comfortable, and the staff is friendly and fairly helpful.

You can expect to find your average sub par English / American type pub fair. We ordered the calamari with dipping sauce which was alright. I would give it about 4 out of 10 as far as calamari goes. I decided on the bun-less burger with avocado. This turned out to be a beef patty with half an avocado slide on top of it. My girlfriend ordered a chicken sandwich I believe, and it was also sub par with about half an avocado on it as well. We left full but not satisfied.

We enjoyed their beer selection, and had a good time overall and might return in the future for a beer and an appetizer. I can't say much for the meals except that our meals were free (courtesy of United Airlines) which made it a little better.

I've been to Dulles many times, and I believe that the options in Concourse A and B are MUCH, MUCH better than C. If you have the time to catch the train to another concourse, do it.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Chantilly, Virginia
“Terrible!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Having worked at Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport for over 10 years, this was the worst meal I have purchased from an airport restaurant. Calamari was tasteless. Fries mealy and chewy and the roast beef sandwich bland. My co-worker and I have both been fighting stomach upset since obtaining our meal there today. Never again.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Colorado
“Suprisingly good place for a drink and meal at Dulles.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Clearly not the most convenient dining location, Firkin & Fox at Dulles is nevertheless a nice place to have a pint and a plate of nachos. If you're at the C concourse at Washington Dulles, as I was for several hours, Firkin & Fox is a good place to stop in and kill some time and have a pint of Guinness or a decent ale, along with some typical pub style food. It's a small place, but still has a degree of quaint pub-like ambiance. Anyway, check it out if you're nearby, it definitely beats eating at the Burger King or the Starbucks.

• Visited July 2012