WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Dulles
Gig Harbor, Washington
“Near airport”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

I stayed here part of one night when I missed my connecting flight to San Francisco, due to weather. I arrived about 1:30 AM. The shuttle stops at midnight so it cost 12.00 to take a cab. The room was 129.00,which is much more than I see others paid!!..I slept about 3 1/2 hrs and was up and out about 6:30AM, back to Dulles, on the shuttle.

My husband booked this room. I would have picked on that had a 24 hr shuttle. He is a Marriott elite member and I did get upgraded, which was nice. I heard NO airplane noise, not sure what everyone else is talking about!

It was ,all in all, OK except for the breakfast. The egg disks were cold and the so was the sausage disk..I was a bit turned off and didn't want anything else..Coffee was Ok ,though..;)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dee2673

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Helsingborg, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

We chose the Fairfield Inn and Suites because of its location close to Dulles Airport , the relatives we were visiting in Va. and of course, the $69 per night fee. Upon checking in, everything went quickly and we got the King room we had booked. The staff was helpful and courteous, even though he did not have answers to all of our questions.

The room was normal-sized and had a VERY comfortable King bed, free Wi-Fi that worked once we got the hang of it, a good flat-screen tv, fridge, microwave and coffee/teamaker
The nice thing about the bathroom was that the shower/toilet area was separate from the sink area/mirror, so that my husband and I could be getting ready at the same time. There were more than enough thick, fluffy towels and amenities to use during our stay. The room was kept very clean, except for the carpeting, which could have used a good vacuuming.

I realize that this hotel is in the middle of nowhere and it takes a bit of driving to get to a destination, so depending on what you are looking for, you will have to consider this. We had a rental car, so we could drive to the Metro station to take the Metro to Arlington Cemetary and the Tourmobile (mentioned in another review), to shopping centers for meals and to the Tysons Corner Mall for a great shopping experience. I read about the toll roads earlier and this was a clear fact....but 75 cents for quick access...come on...it's not bad at all!

Of the three staff that we got to meet during our 4-night stay, the young lady was the most knowledgeable and helpful, but all of them did all they could for us. They even arranged a late checkout so that we had somewhere to stay before leaving for the flight back to Sweden.

The decor was cozy and modern, the lobby area was comfortable and inviting, but we have two small "downsides" that I am going to mention now.

The breakfast room is way undersized and since the hotel is a bargain, there are many families with small children staying there and the noise level is high. The guests overflowed into the lounge area to eat their breakfast and one morning, my husband and I even sat outside in the 90 degree heat to get away from the noise and be able to enjoy our breakfast. The breakfast buffet itself is the pride of American processed foods-hardly touched by human hands.... the selection is good, but after 4 days it got a bit boring and the wait by the toaster and waffle-iron and even the coffee thermos was long.
But, we could always find something to fill us up and sometimes felt sorry for the young woman who ran around in this chaos, filling up all the racks with the food and plastic plates and silverware.

So, my recommendation is that is you want to have a nice, peaceful breakfast here, eat at 7:00 a.m. before the kids wake up!

The second "downer" is the pool. Anyone who know anything about pool care knows that healthy pool water is clear and colorless. This pool had opaque, yellowish water and there were lots of "things" floating around in it. We really would have liked to take a dip in the evenings before going to bed (especially after the 100 degree days we spent in D.C.) but didn't dare to upon seeing the condition of the water in the pool. I have written to Marriott about this in their own, separate review and I hope that there will be improvement in the future.

Checkout went as smoothly as check-in and there were no problems with billing.

So, all-in-all our stay was very pleasant and we slept like logs in the comfortable bed-this hotel suited our needs almost perfectly!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MissDRM
Maryland, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2010

This hotel is a typical Fairfield Inn. They have a great stay and park package, and the hotel is 5 minutes from Dulles. The downside is that you need to drive 10 minutes to get food, but this shouldn't be huge concern since most people aren't staying for long at an airport hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kevt3
Hudson Valley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2010

I stayed here for one night after I missed a connecting flight at Dulles ( my dime.. weather related). The shuttle runs every 1/2 hour.. not sure when it ends, but I think midnight. The shuttle was on time, but a word of caution. The van is not very accessible to either shorter people or those with mobility issues (me). You almost have to get out backwards or jump down.

The front desk was very sympathetic and courteous this weary traveler late at night. The room was comfortable and clean. I slept well, but could have slept in a chair!

The shuttle back to Dulles starts at 4:30AM. On time and friendly.

The rate hear was the lowest I found anywhere near Dulles. Good bargain for a clean and close place to stay for an airport trip. Staying longer, I have stayed at a great Residence Inn in Chantilly.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank HudsonValleyGuy
Champaign, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2010

pros: near airport, complimentary breakfast, free wifi

cons : costly for the services they provide, pretty average rooms, not a great location

overall good for short stay only

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank joyssk
Dorset, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2010

This was a bad experience from start to finish. Firstly, I landed in Dulles around 9pm last Thursday night. After waiting 20 minutes at the Hotel shuttle stop in a biting wind, I phoned the hotel, was put on hold for 5 minutes (I timed it) only to be told that the shuttle is "on request". This is not mentioned on their website or on the 2 confirmation emails I received.
When I got to the hotel, the receptionist announced that "we've got a problem" and that I didn't have a reservation. I gave her my reservation number and showed her the confirmation emails on my blackberry. She claimed that the reservation number was in the name of someone else and for March 9th. I told her that this was not my problem and I was sure she had rooms available. She then took my credit card and Marriott card and allocated me a Double room as she had no King's available. Whilst the card was processing, she phoned someone externally and asked them to stay by their phone until she went off work as she needed to talk to them and "I will explain when I talk to you" - clearly a reference to her dissatisfaction which oozed from every pore of her body.
Got to my room to find the wireless did not function at all. I was not prepared to go back and face the seething mass of resentment again.
Next morning, the bill slipped under my door is at a rate $60 above the one confirmed on my reservation. I explain this to the new clerk who tells me it is because I moved to a Double. I tell him that it was the hotel who moved and he adjusts the rate in the computer.
As I'm coming to check out, this clerk is just going off shift, sees me coming and tells the new receptionist in Spanish that he changed my rate. Nevertheless she tries to suggest the rate is the higher one until I advise her that her colleague just told her that he has adjusted the rate.
Frankly, the only agreeable part of the whole experience was the shuttle bus ride back to the terminal for my trip home.
Rest assured I will never stay at that hotel again

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank navigatornick
Vlaardingen, netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2010

We had some troubles during our december trip to Vegas and got stuck at Dulles airport. Called Marriott for available rooms nearby and they advised us this one. The taxi driver didn't know how to find it and drove past the exit. But the hotel also has a complimentary shuttle bus (we didn't want to wait for that after being on the airport for 8 hours without getting anywhere).

We arrived around 01:00 am and where helped friendly, they even apologized for not having a king size bed available in a regular room. (We have king bed as preference in our Marriott rewards account.) We got a handicaped room which meant large bathroom and wide hallway in the room.

Since we where tired we took a quick shower and went to bed to be woken after just two hours of sleep. We got good news instead of going home this afternoon we could go to Vegas :).

The room, bath and bed was fine.

Free Wifi in the hotel, free to use PC in the reception area also free breakfast. Although not open around 4:30 am we could take some food while waiting for the 5 o'clock shuttle bus. They also have a little shop for some essentials and snacks.

It's a short ride to the airport no shops nearby.

But as far we can judge it's a hotel without frills and fine for a short stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mafootje
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dulles
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
Hampton Inn & Suites Washington-Dulles International Airport
Courtyard Dulles Town Center
Residence Inn Dulles Airport at Dulles 28 Centre
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Washington Dulles International Airport
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!