“OK for a sleep before an early flight” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Dulles Airport

Fairfield Inn & Suites Dulles Airport
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Dulles
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“OK for a sleep before an early flight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

I had a 6am flight out of IAD and stayed here the previous night. I dropped my hire car off at IAD and the hotel shuttle came to pick me up quickly. The room was clean and quiet, all I did was sleep there. I took the first shuttle of the day (at 4am) to the airport, so missed the breakfast, which started at 4.30am, though I did have coffee before leaving.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Nitten_Traveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Queens, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2011

I stayed at this Fairfield Inn & Suites for a week (3/20-3/25). I was in town for medical reasons, with a minor surgery scheduled for that Thursday, so I wanted to make sure I chose a hotel close to the airport and that was conducive to my needs for the week. Initially I booked a double room, which I received with no problem on the first floor. However, when I entered the room, the drapes were open and the parking lot spotlights were shining directly into the room. I couldn't find a way to close the drapes fully, so I called the front desk and they sent someone to close them. Problem solved.

The next 2 days were without problem until Tuesday, 3/22. I got a late start and opened the drapes at @ 1pm, only to discover what looked like a roach on the drapes. I called the front desk and they again sent someone to check out the problem. The maintenance guy came in and discovered not just that 1, but 5 of these critters. I was told they weren't roaches but a local insect that comes out in warm weather (to my knowledge, I'm thinking a cicada?). Ok, that's all well and good but I don't want them IN MY ROOM. The mgr called me and offered me a discounted rate for that night only and told me if I see anymore, simply do not kill them because it would make the room stink. I accepted the discount and left @ 3pm. I returned to the room @ 6:30 only to discover that the room had not been cleaned by housekeeping. Normally, I would chuck it up to a late departure and suck it up but I had leftover food in the garbage cans and with the earlier incident with the bugs, I was a bit livid, especially b/c it wasn't MY fault that I left the room later than usual. I went to the front desk and asked to be upgraded to a suite. I needed to ensure that I would be at the utmost level of comfort. The rep on duty said they had no suites available until the next day but I could move to another double room and then move to a suite the next day. There was no way I was doing that (again, I was having a minor surgery). I refused to take anything less and I stayed at the front desk for a good 30 minutes (he checked in 3 people while I was standing there and kept trying to rush me off, but I wasn't going anywhere). Finally, I just relented and then asked him well can someone at least empty my garbage and give me fresh towels? He made a big fuss about having to leave the front desk and tried to elude that it was MY fault housekeeping never came to my room (if you left earlier, if you let us know when you left). I didn't put the bugs in my room, sir! He ran down to my room with ONE fresh garbage bag. I emptied the cans myself. I then got on the phone amd called Marriott's customer service number directly. Within an hour, I got a call from the mgr who gave me the discount earlier (who was calling from home-or so she said) AND I was moved to a suite on the 3rd floor (magically, a suite became available that they could upgrade me to-mind you, I AM a Marriott rewards member).

The suite was very nice, large and spacious with 2 TVs, a stereo system , fridge, microwave, and plenty of lighting. The only difference I noticed aside from the space is that in the 1st floor room (which faced the back of the hotel), I heard absolutely no airplane noise from the airport. In this 3rd floor suite, facing the front, I heard the loud roar from a number of planes. Since I live so close to LGA in NYC, this didn't bother me but it may bother others. Internet connection was great, simple, easy and fast. The television channels were slim selection, no channel guide in either room and no channel to order movies from. Even when I tried to enter a channel on the remote control, it wouldn't connect, so it was either up or down. Computer in the lobby to print boarding passes convenient and easy to use.

My final glitch with this hotel-when I was upgraded to a suite, the mgr assured me I would NOT be charged and it would be at the same rate. Well lo and behold, when I checked out, the "computer" automatically charged me the suite rate. I brought it to her attn when I checked out. She apologized, said she didn't understand why it did that (riiiight) and immediately changed it to the right amount.

Word of advice-there is nothing around for about a mile or two in either direction (except for the Exxon gas station with a Subway inside). If you follow Old Ox Rd, past Rte. 28, and make a right on Herndon Pkway, you'll find restaurants, a Giant supermarket, and other stores (and avoid the toll on 267). There are plenty of restaurants that deliver, but beware if you use takeout taxi, there's a $6.99 fee on top of the order and the delivery fee or minimum any restaurant may have.

I doubt I'll have future business in this area and I know I won't be here for leisure, but I wouldn't stay at this or other Fairfield Inn & Suites in the future...I'll stick with Courtyards or higher.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2011

Less than a 10 minute shuttle ride from the airport. Decent fairfield Inn. Nothing special but clean and better than average breakfast choices. There isn't anything around so plan accordingly if you need food, shopping, etc. Only a subway in a near by gas station. No Fridge/Micowave in room (not a big deal) just making an observation. If you need a quick place to stay with no frills and the price is right I recommend.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank tmstewar2
Payson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

First time staying near Dulles Airport. Pick up service at airport good. Sonny at the front desk was very welcoming. Got key to room already occupied. Oops! Because of that, got upgraded to a suite. Nice! Separate living area, nice TV, fridge, microwave, coffee maker. Used fitness center in the morning. Well equipped, just hot. Breakfast had lots of choices, including hot ones - waffles, eggs, quiche, along with cereal, breads and fruits. Choices of juices. Free internet on two computers on the lobby floor - one with a printer for boarding passes. Saw the indoor pool but didn't use. Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Gig Harbor, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

I stayed here part of one night when I missed my connecting flight to San Francisco, due to weather. I arrived about 1:30 AM. The shuttle stops at midnight so it cost 12.00 to take a cab. The room was 129.00,which is much more than I see others paid!!..I slept about 3 1/2 hrs and was up and out about 6:30AM, back to Dulles, on the shuttle.

My husband booked this room. I would have picked on that had a 24 hr shuttle. He is a Marriott elite member and I did get upgraded, which was nice. I heard NO airplane noise, not sure what everyone else is talking about!

It was ,all in all, OK except for the breakfast. The egg disks were cold and the so was the sausage disk..I was a bit turned off and didn't want anything else..Coffee was Ok ,though..;)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dee2673
Helsingborg, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

We chose the Fairfield Inn and Suites because of its location close to Dulles Airport , the relatives we were visiting in Va. and of course, the $69 per night fee. Upon checking in, everything went quickly and we got the King room we had booked. The staff was helpful and courteous, even though he did not have answers to all of our questions.

The room was normal-sized and had a VERY comfortable King bed, free Wi-Fi that worked once we got the hang of it, a good flat-screen tv, fridge, microwave and coffee/teamaker
The nice thing about the bathroom was that the shower/toilet area was separate from the sink area/mirror, so that my husband and I could be getting ready at the same time. There were more than enough thick, fluffy towels and amenities to use during our stay. The room was kept very clean, except for the carpeting, which could have used a good vacuuming.

I realize that this hotel is in the middle of nowhere and it takes a bit of driving to get to a destination, so depending on what you are looking for, you will have to consider this. We had a rental car, so we could drive to the Metro station to take the Metro to Arlington Cemetary and the Tourmobile (mentioned in another review), to shopping centers for meals and to the Tysons Corner Mall for a great shopping experience. I read about the toll roads earlier and this was a clear fact....but 75 cents for quick access...come on...it's not bad at all!

Of the three staff that we got to meet during our 4-night stay, the young lady was the most knowledgeable and helpful, but all of them did all they could for us. They even arranged a late checkout so that we had somewhere to stay before leaving for the flight back to Sweden.

The decor was cozy and modern, the lobby area was comfortable and inviting, but we have two small "downsides" that I am going to mention now.

The breakfast room is way undersized and since the hotel is a bargain, there are many families with small children staying there and the noise level is high. The guests overflowed into the lounge area to eat their breakfast and one morning, my husband and I even sat outside in the 90 degree heat to get away from the noise and be able to enjoy our breakfast. The breakfast buffet itself is the pride of American processed foods-hardly touched by human hands.... the selection is good, but after 4 days it got a bit boring and the wait by the toaster and waffle-iron and even the coffee thermos was long.
But, we could always find something to fill us up and sometimes felt sorry for the young woman who ran around in this chaos, filling up all the racks with the food and plastic plates and silverware.

So, my recommendation is that is you want to have a nice, peaceful breakfast here, eat at 7:00 a.m. before the kids wake up!

The second "downer" is the pool. Anyone who know anything about pool care knows that healthy pool water is clear and colorless. This pool had opaque, yellowish water and there were lots of "things" floating around in it. We really would have liked to take a dip in the evenings before going to bed (especially after the 100 degree days we spent in D.C.) but didn't dare to upon seeing the condition of the water in the pool. I have written to Marriott about this in their own, separate review and I hope that there will be improvement in the future.

Checkout went as smoothly as check-in and there were no problems with billing.

So, all-in-all our stay was very pleasant and we slept like logs in the comfortable bed-this hotel suited our needs almost perfectly!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MissDRM
Maryland, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2010

This hotel is a typical Fairfield Inn. They have a great stay and park package, and the hotel is 5 minutes from Dulles. The downside is that you need to drive 10 minutes to get food, but this shouldn't be huge concern since most people aren't staying for long at an airport hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kevt3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dulles
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
Hampton Inn & Suites Washington-Dulles International Airport
Courtyard Dulles Town Center
Residence Inn Dulles Airport at Dulles 28 Centre
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Washington Dulles International Airport
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!