“Attractive State Park”

181 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 132 helpful votes
“Attractive State Park”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Attractive state park with clean beach/swimming area with nearby "on land" playground as well as hiking trails, campgrounds, picnic areas, etc. Ample parking. Small gift shop. We visited during the annual festival (fried food trucks, antique car show, a few kids' activities, etc.) to see the Old Dominion Historical Fire Society fire truck muster. Entrance fees are raised during the festival but can be offset by canned food donations. Festival atmosphere was extremely laid-back and low-key; live music, fireworks, etc. were planned for later in the day. Very convenient to I-81 (has its own exit off the interstate); short drive from Roanoke.

Visited June 2014

macomb, michigan
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“The most beautiful park!”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Since all my family lives in the area and I live in Michigan, my family frequently goes there when we go home. The beach is great the water is beautiful and the surrounding mountains are amazing and very relaxing. My husband and I rented a boat and cruised the lake and went fishing. We were so amazed at the views we didn't fish much. We just put the boat at a slow cruising speed and followed the lakes path. I've never seen a more beautiful place. It has easy access to interstate 81 and is easy to find. I recommend this park to anyone. It's just beautiful!

Visited July 2013
2 Thank teeniesmom
Richmond, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Family Retreat”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

We have had children go to both Radford and Virginia Tech - both near Claytor Lake. Every Spring and Fall during their college days, we stayed at least one weekend at Claytor Lake. They absolutely loved it. We arrived with the family dog, invited them and their friends out to the cabin, grilled, star gazed, played cards, sat in front of the fire, threw the football, made memories. If you have college students, build the memories by booking a cabin at Claytor Lake. You won't regret it. Your kids will love it. Your grandchildren will probably love it too!!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Prana2782
Old Hickory, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Great Place for a family weekend”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Two lodges were rented for a weekend to celebrate a graduation. It is well furnished and though the beds are a bit hard, it was very nice, clean and most things needed for preparing simple meals were furnished. The "great' room was a bit noisy for sleeping in the two bed rooms adjacent to it but that is about the only complaint. One other I would think that a state park would have more recycling available.

Visited May 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Claytor Lake - hate to share this....”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Had a fantastic overnight at Claytor Lake State Park and wish I had been able to stay for more. I'll be back. Just beautiful. Quiet, clean, spacious, LEVEL campsites for the RV, serene walking trails!!! Hope it doesn't get overrun with campers now that I've shared this, but it was really hard to keep a secret!
Didn't check out the bath house or the water, but it all looked just right to me from the 'outside'. I bet kids have a blast there in the summer. Nice marina, if you have a boat. Kayaks & canoes for rent. You can even ride your bikes on the trails - a huge plus for me.
See you soon, Claytor Lake SP!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank excelenz2

Been to Claytor Lake State Park? Share your experiences!