“Beware of Unauthorized Charges”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Richmond - Kings Dominion
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Doswell
Reviewed August 22, 2010

The accommodations at the hotel were comfortable & met my expectations. However, upon checking out & paying all room charges in cash, a few days later my credit card was improperly charged by hotel management accusing me of smoking in the room. This accuasation is unbelievable due to the fact that I've never smoked a day in my life and due to the fact that this was a church sponsored trip wherein I stayed in this room chaperoning my sunday school students ages 6-9. Upon calling hotel mgmt to resolve the issue & to get reimbursed for the $150 they charged my card, he told me there was nothing he could do since his staff told him we left a smoke scent in the room with ash trays. After calling the Choice Hotel customer support group, they explained each hotel is independly owned & sent my grievance back to the same hotel manager in Doswell that falsely accused me of smoking. He once again sent me a letter explaining what his staff claimed they smelled & saw in the room & did nothing to accommodate me for this inconvenience. Beware of leaving your credit card information with this hotel staff. They will not do anything for you if your card is charged upon checking out. It is your word against theirs & Choice Hotels will not assist you either. BEWARE!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank pwhite73

Reviewed August 8, 2010

On a road trip from Miami to New York, arrived without reservation at around 7 in the evening, were booked straight into what appeared to be a brand new room, which was very well equipped and spacious for $101.69.

The hotel overall is new and modern in design, well laid out with rooms for laundry and little snack areas with ice machines and vending machines.

The room itself had a separate bedroom area and lounge area, with flat screen TV, microwave, fridge, coffee facilities, there was a sofa and a coffee table, so plenty of space to spread out. The view out of the window showed the sun setting over a large truck parking area........which was occasionally noisy but not too bad.

Breakfast at the little restaurant by reception was included in the price, and was welcome but not very impressive, just a fairly sparse self service buffet effort. Toast, cereals, a waffle machine, coffee, juices and not much else, but you know, it was breakfast.

A very nice no-nonsense hotel for a reasonable price. recommended.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2010

This hotel is poorly managed. Only reason we selected this hotel was because it claimed it was within walking distance of Kings Dominion and was new. Upon check-in we learned that the front desk computers were down and had to be checked in on the computer in the "business center". No problem, they give us a room key and well, we were given an occupied room. Occupied by one of the staff members.

Next we noticed that the walk was a bit long to Kings Dominion and across a major road without an adequate crosswalk. We asked about a shuttle and they do not have one. The other hotels next door had shuttles. Guess the owners never made the long trek. Oh well, we did.

Then you start to notice the little things, which seem to add up. Coffee lids that do not fit on the cup. Bowls that are to small for the cereal dispenser and you wind up spilling half the cereal and make a big mess. Too few tables in the breakfast area despite room for plenty more. One waffle maker despite lines that averaged 3-4 people deep. Staff members behind the desk in shorts and sandals, unprofessional. I wonder if these folks ran a broken down no name motel before stepping up.

Oh the rooms were nicer than we expected. But the owner and staff clearly do not understand how to run a basic hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Stayed here for a wedding. At this point he hotel is about 4 months old. Apparently their guests are usually there for the amusement park across the street, so they don't expect to do any business over the winter months. That explains why their rates are a bit high.

Overall our experience was very positives. They have a few kinks to work out- (restocking the rooms correctly, one of our phones didn't work) but these are minor details. Our room was very comfortable and the staff friendly.

I you have to stay in Doswell, VA, I can't imagine doing much better for the price.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alex_In_Brooklyn
Reviewed June 2, 2010

This is a new hotel located across the street from King's Dominion. The spacious rooms have a modern decor and are very clean. The beds are comfortable and the wireless internet works well. The hotel has easy access to I-95. The hotel offers a good complimentary breakfast. Unfortunately there are no restaurants, except for one overpriced fast food chain, in the immediate area.

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed May 18, 2010

We were driving from Florida to Canada and were looking for a clean place to stay. We saw that this was a new hotel and decided to check it out. It is conveniently located close to highway and not far from Denny's where the food was great. This is a new hotel so was clean and bright. The room was clean and the pool looked to be clean and enjoyable although we did not go in. Check in and check out went well. We were on the second floor near the elevator which was easy access for us. Breakfast was sufficient. We only spent one night and would not hesitate to stay again. We felt safe and clean which is very important to us.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank twmoffat
Reviewed May 3, 2010

Upon arrival, I requested a high floor room....the manager told me they were completely sold out...which I thought was kind of strange because the parking lot was nowhere near full. He gave us a room on the first floor and as we were walking down the hallway, we noticed FIVE GIGANTIC mosquitoes flying around the hallway! Of course I rannnn to my room and everything looked great until I noticed a GIGANTIC bug on the wall! It was literally the size of a golf ball! I called the front desk and asked for a refund because there was nooo way I was going to sleep in a room with bugs! He told me to come the front desk and as soon as I got there, he told me there was a room for me on the third floor. (he originally told me he was completely sold out) sooo he obviously lied. We get to our second room and found it to be a complete mess! there was garbage everywhere, the towels were used, the bed looked like somoene had just gotten out of bed. I call the front desk again and the guy offered to bring us another key. FInally, the third room we got what we paid for. It is a nice room and it was clean, the bed was comfy....it had a living area with a couch and chair....microwave/refrigerator. THe bathroom was nothing spectacular, just a normal hotel type of bathroom. On top of that, if you are hungry, there is nothing to eat besides dennys subway burger king or 711. Doswell is in the middle of nowhere and you would hgave to travel to ashland or richmond for restaurants/bars. if you are going to kings dominion, it is convenient because it is directly across the street, other than that, i would not suggest this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ahnmei
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doswell
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Doswell (Kings Dominion), VA
Days Inn Doswell at Kings Dominion
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 13 in Ashland
Centerstone Inn Doswell at Kings Dominion
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Ashland - Hanover, VA
Hampton Inn Richmond-North/Ashland

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Richmond - Kings Dominion? Share your experiences!