“Hotel Okay...Staff Rude”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Richmond - Kings Dominion
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Doswell
Reviewed June 22, 2011

I went online to choice hotels and checked the price. Since I am a state employee I get a discount. I don't like putting my information online, so after checking the prices I called directly to the hotel. I was told that I could not get that price and that if I wanted it for that I would have to book online. Should of been my first clue. I arrived about 1 1/2 hours early (before the 3pm check-in time) and was told there were no rooms available that I would have to wait until 3. I am a choice priveleges member and as such you are allowed to check in 1 hour early and out 1 hour late. I was told they didn't honor that. They did allow me to go to the computer room. From there I could see my room and saw that it had indeed been cleaned and was available. Guess they were afraid I would use 1 hour extra of electricity!!! Overall the room was clean...hotel nice. No pictures on the wall in the room. I attempted to use the vending machines...none of them would take my money. Since they had a store in the lobby I decided I would get a drink there...NOT. The prices were jacked up so much, makes you wonder why the machines would not take my money. I walked to the store just down from the hotel. The breakfast area was not clean and they didn't keep it stocked, think they were afraid someone might get a little too much. The grounds were not well kept...tall grass around the hotel...don't expect much of a view. I had a room on the bottom floor and you could hear everything above you...at times it sounded like an earthquake!! The hotel itself could be nice if not for the service!!!

I had read other reviews about other hotels and the train running behind them. All of the hotels are together and I don't think it will matter which one you stay in, you will hear it. It came through about 11:00 p.m.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the top floor
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 10, 2011

This was suppose to be a summer vacation which turned out to be a summer cleaning. We did a late night check-in and found the bathroom filthy. We were tired and sleepy from our road trip, but we had to clean the bathroom before we could use it. The next morning we woke up to a room full of dust and when we contacted management he came off as a bit rude. He was more concerned about rather or not we were asking for a refund instead of making sure the room would be cleaned for the remainder of our stay. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless you don't mind paying money for a room that should already be clean when you get it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Being that we wanted to stay close to Kings Dominion and all the other hotel reviews were terrible, we decided that Choice Hotels are usually a good bet - so we chose here. Glad we did. Our room was very clean. We had a king bed, pull out sofa and a refrigerator. No complaints about the room. The breakfast area was fine too. I liked that it adds eggs and sausage to it breakfast. We were never hungry. Not sure why the price was so much higher than our stay in Williamsburg. It did not top it. the convenience of being across the street from Kings D was nice. We hit the park at the right time of the year. Empty except for the choir and orchestra day. The only negative if I had to pick one is the desk manager was not very friendly. Don't get me wrong, he was not rude by any means, he just did not smile or look happy to be there. We tried to be friendly but it was evident it was one way. Trains?? We were so exhausted from the park that we didn't notice anything. I vaguely remember one going by around 6 am - but no big deal. There were three hotels in a row beside the tracks. Maybe ask for a room toward the front road and you won't notice it either.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2011

The internet didn't work! Manager said he would fix and call back. Two hours later he called and said there was nothing wrong,but hadn't called me back. Said he was busy. There were three cars in the parking lot? Sstill no internet, time for bed anyway. The bathtub had mold. (New hotel?) The walls were scratched. Not sure about bed bugs. Pets had been in my room. The security lock didn't work. Oh, and when I asked to speak to the manager when I left, he wasn't "in". but he would call me. I gave my number. Right, did he call. No way Jose! Do not stay here! Just to show you how bad, even the breakfast was laid out wrong. The salt and pepper were with the yogurt and bagels. And way on the other side of the room was the cold eggs and sausage. Whew!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 3, 2011

This is definitely a case of you get what you pay for. I knew we were going to be with a bunch of kids as it was spring break but…I would think that parents would control their kids-running in the halls and yelling at 630am-Kings Dominion didn’t open until 10. We didn’t do breakfast as it was so crowded and once again very unruly kids.

As for the hotel, the room was closed up for a long time or someone had smoked in the room, we opened the window to air out. There were cobwebs in the corners of the room-see pics; we didn’t see those until the morning, good thing. The room had a layer of dust throughout. As we left for dinner, we were going to stop at the desk and request a different room but there was a major discussion between the front desk and a guest so we decided to suck it up as it was only for one night.

The icing was the fact that a set of pajamas had been left in the room, when I called the day after we checked out asking about them, I was told I would get a call if they found them. I was never contacted and I can guarantee they were left there, hope someone is enjoying those jammies. We won’t be staying here again, sad.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 30, 2011

This hotel had a #1 rating but I was very disappointed. The building looked new but the landscaping and grassy areas were not maintained. I had to walk thru high weeds and dirt with my 2 dogs. Trash bits were around too! I had gotten a suite and the description said a" dividing wall." Well, not really! There wasn't one framed picture in the main room, just one in bathroom. The hotel is next to train tracks and it's loud! I could hear people walking above me on the second floor- walls are thin. The halls smell of disinfectant. There's not much choice for restaurants here. Gosh, I haven't even slept the nite here yet! Yikes!

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We came here mainly because of its connivence to Kings Dominion. When we arrived we did not make a reservation and check in was a breeze. We paid 95$ for a 2 queen suite. A great deal. The room was very clean and nicely appointed.The beds were comfortable and the room was very large, the bathroom was very clean and. When I went down to the front desk later to ask for towels for the pool the manager was rude and he was very rude and he acted like i was asking him to do something so outrageous. The pool was much smaller then the pictures and there were little kids all in the hot tub. We went down to the breakfast area that night and we saw that there was cereal laying out and we took some and the manager was yelling at us and saying don't steal my cereal. If you don't want people to take the cereal then don't have it laying out! The next morning we went down for breakfast which was very good but the breakfast area was a mess and not well stocked. We went to KD that morning and we walked there and saved ourselves 12$ and it was a 5 minute walk. Overall I would stay here again and the only reason why we did not stay at the country inn and suites was because they had a 2 double bed suite here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank verypikytraveler123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doswell
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion)
Centerstone Inn
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 13 in Ashland
Hampton Inn Richmond - North / Ashland
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richmond North Ashland

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Richmond - Kings Dominion? Share your experiences!