“Don't stay here!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Doswell
New Bern, North Carolina
“Don't stay here!”
Reviewed May 29, 2011

The internet didn't work! Manager said he would fix and call back. Two hours later he called and said there was nothing wrong,but hadn't called me back. Said he was busy. There were three cars in the parking lot? Sstill no internet, time for bed anyway. The bathtub had mold. (New hotel?) The walls were scratched. Not sure about bed bugs. Pets had been in my room. The security lock didn't work. Oh, and when I asked to speak to the manager when I left, he wasn't "in". but he would call me. I gave my number. Right, did he call. No way Jose! Do not stay here! Just to show you how bad, even the breakfast was laid out wrong. The salt and pepper were with the yogurt and bagels. And way on the other side of the room was the cold eggs and sausage. Whew!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
Reviewed May 3, 2011

This is definitely a case of you get what you pay for. I knew we were going to be with a bunch of kids as it was spring break but…I would think that parents would control their kids-running in the halls and yelling at 630am-Kings Dominion didn’t open until 10. We didn’t do breakfast as it was so crowded and once again very unruly kids.

As for the hotel, the room was closed up for a long time or someone had smoked in the room, we opened the window to air out. There were cobwebs in the corners of the room-see pics; we didn’t see those until the morning, good thing. The room had a layer of dust throughout. As we left for dinner, we were going to stop at the desk and request a different room but there was a major discussion between the front desk and a guest so we decided to suck it up as it was only for one night.

The icing was the fact that a set of pajamas had been left in the room, when I called the day after we checked out asking about them, I was told I would get a call if they found them. I was never contacted and I can guarantee they were left there, hope someone is enjoying those jammies. We won’t be staying here again, sad.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed April 30, 2011

This hotel had a #1 rating but I was very disappointed. The building looked new but the landscaping and grassy areas were not maintained. I had to walk thru high weeds and dirt with my 2 dogs. Trash bits were around too! I had gotten a suite and the description said a" dividing wall." Well, not really! There wasn't one framed picture in the main room, just one in bathroom. The hotel is next to train tracks and it's loud! I could hear people walking above me on the second floor- walls are thin. The halls smell of disinfectant. There's not much choice for restaurants here. Gosh, I haven't even slept the nite here yet! Yikes!

• Stayed April 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We came here mainly because of its connivence to Kings Dominion. When we arrived we did not make a reservation and check in was a breeze. We paid 95$ for a 2 queen suite. A great deal. The room was very clean and nicely appointed.The beds were comfortable and the room was very large, the bathroom was very clean and. When I went down to the front desk later to ask for towels for the pool the manager was rude and he was very rude and he acted like i was asking him to do something so outrageous. The pool was much smaller then the pictures and there were little kids all in the hot tub. We went down to the breakfast area that night and we saw that there was cereal laying out and we took some and the manager was yelling at us and saying don't steal my cereal. If you don't want people to take the cereal then don't have it laying out! The next morning we went down for breakfast which was very good but the breakfast area was a mess and not well stocked. We went to KD that morning and we walked there and saved ourselves 12$ and it was a 5 minute walk. Overall I would stay here again and the only reason why we did not stay at the country inn and suites was because they had a 2 double bed suite here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank verypikytraveler123
Argyle, New York
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Our room was 2 queen beds and a sofa bed. Came with micro and a mini fridge. The room was spacious and very clean. Bed was some what hard but had nice linens. The fan only worked if the air conditioner was on 62* just a bit cold for March nights. Overall the hotel was very quiet. Breakfast was nothing special but was a warm one with waffles, sausage and microwaved eggs.. I would stay here again!

Places to eat are few and far between. The exit before in the North bound I95 are where the good food was located. Denny's and Burger King were the only choices next to the hotel! YUK

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Stop at the Visitor's Center upon entering VA. Get the coupon book for hotels. We paid 59.95 for a really large room with king bed, puffy linens, spotlessly clean, sofa, desk with WIFI, flatscreen on the wall, fridge, microwave, ice but MOST important...CLEAN. And they didn't charge extra for our dog.

No restaurants nearby, but they have menus in the lobby where you can order take-out, delivered. If travelling 95 again, I would plan my days driving around this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dumfries, Virginia
Reviewed December 31, 2010

Thumbs up, very nice hotel indeed. My husband and I was nervous about some of the negative views but was extremely shock when we arrived and checked in, the attendant was extremely nice and helpful, the rooms was extremely nice, clean, comfortable beds, flat screen t.v. plus more. We traveled through the winter months and we had plenty of rooms to choose from, we selected the upper level which was not a problem at all. Now, there are not many food places, so my husband and I drove south near richmond to the next exit which was about 5 minutes and found several restrauants and fast food. We really enjoyed our stay and will be back this summer with the kids during Kings Dominion season.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doswell
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion)
Centerstone Inn
Quality Inn & Suites
#4 of 13 in Ashland
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richmond North Ashland
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ashland - Hanover, VA

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Richmond - Kings Dominion? Share your experiences!