“Need to hire more staff!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion)
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Doswell
Va Beach
“Need to hire more staff!”
Reviewed December 5, 2010

Right across from Kings Dominion. Down hill from there. I don't think they realize that there is an amusement park across the street. If they do, they probably want to consider hiring a few more front desk and house keeping associates. Extremely noisy, but to be expected based on location. Can't beat the location, but little value or service to be had.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Duncan, South Carolina
Reviewed December 4, 2010

it was fun!!! I got there used a coupon and it cost $56.00 they had swimming pool, jaccuzzi, a really great breakfast, the accomodations were nice it was really clean.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
NJ
Reviewed November 7, 2010

My family and I were driving to Disney World and stopped here for the night. I was very impressed with the cleanliness, the free breakfast in a quaint breakfast room, the small indoor pool and the size of the room. The room was very large and the beds were quite comfortable. The room was $50. This was exactly what we were looking for on our way to Disney World. I would recommend it to anyone needing to stop for a long ride or for a family who is looking to visit Kings Dominion amusement park which is located directly across the street. While there is no restaurant in the hotel, it is across the street from a burger king and down the road from a 7-Eleven.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
USA
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Just came back from an overnight trip to Kings Dominion. I've also stayed at the neighboring Days Inn and the Best Western in the past two years. Based on the hotel itself this is the best of the three. The hotel is nearly new and is typical of the Country Inn chain which is a good thing. Room is bigger than most, bathroom is much larger than a typical low-mid price hotel, beds are cozy (although the duvet is also the bedspread so it can only be so clean, they do not double-sheet), the small fridge and microwave was included for free, and being a newer hotel the Air Conditioner/heater was comparatively quiet. No voices or TV's from adjoining rooms but door slamming was an issue (try to be a room away from the stairs) Breakfast was good for a serve-yourself 2.5 star hotel spread included in the price of the room. Staff was not outwardly friendly but wow they did go out of their way. When I checked in my room was in the computer as not fully serviced and there was an issue with the key machine. I was stunned when the front desk attendant proceeded to lead me to my room, tested the keys, walked into the room and looked around for anything missing, found there was only 2 towel and offered to bring more up. Wow.

On the negative is the train issue. It can not be understated how close and how loud the trains are in the back of the hotel. Even my front facing room was shaking! Friends with a room in the back report 3 trains after midnight. Get a forward facing room at all costs, it will make or break your experience. Cleanliness was an issue. The room was not 100%, for example under the sink in the bathroom and some of the corners. The hot tub was in need of chemical, it smelt musty for lack of a better word.

Kings Dominion is walkable across the parking lot but it's not the safest walk (there are no sidewalks or pedestrian signals) It took me 15 minutes on a cool, overcast day, I can't imagine doing it on a hot day in the sun. The shuttle however is run by Kings Dominion and seems to run fairly frequent.

As for the area, oh boy. On the side is a huge parking lot for a truck rest area, the other is the huge parking lot for the park. There is a 7-11 3 minute walk to the hotel for snacks (remember you have a fridge and microwave) and a somewhat dated burger king across the street. If you make the trek to the truck stop there is a subway (of questionable quality) and a "family restaurant" which did not appeal to me but might to some. There is also a Denny's in the Best Western but it can be real crowded if you hit it at the wrong time.

All in all this is a decent hotel in an unfortunate setting. Great that it's close to Kings Dominion, but the railway tracks and sea of asphalt is not nice. But for the park I would definitely stay hear again, I would just have my expectation set a little lower for the overall experience.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 3, 2010

Last time we visited Kings Dominion, we stayed at the Comfort Suites in Doswell. Please see that review to contrast this one.

The Country Inn is a nice hotel. We were greeted professionally and given a room in accordance with our reservation. The room was very nice and was clean with a flat screen television. The breakfast room was well staffed and was kept clean. Breakfast choices were just ok but not bad at this price point. The hotel offered a free shuttle to the park and we were promised it would arrive every 30 minutes. Shuttle was run by the park and every time, except once it came within 15 minutes or so. A nice alternative to get to the park. If we visit again, we will stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I picked this place due to the proximity to the park and the cheap rate I was able to get it for. We were driving from Northern MD and got to the hotel at around 10am. We stopped at the hotel to see if we could go ahead and park the car and take the shuttle to KD. To my suprise, we were able to check in that early. Waiting for the shuttle took awhile (it didn't seem like it ran every 30 minutes). FYI: all of the hotels in the area share the shuttle, so chances are, it'll get full when you're on.

The room was clean, the bathroom was a little gross though. There were dark brown stains on the soap dish, mold on the shower curtain, and what looked like mold in the tile grout by the tub. I appreciated the late check-out (11:30) though. We took advantage of it and wasn't able to try the breakfast. The surrounding area doesn't have much. Burger King, Denny's, and 7-11 are your closet options. There's more places up one more exit on I-95. I guess the road the hotel is on is fairly new, my GPS didn't recognize it, so I used the address of the Burger King across the street.

Overall, the hotel was good for the one night we were there. If you plan on spending your whole day at KD, then this hotels works.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
New Jersey
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Well all I can say is thank god they built this hotel next to Kings Dominion. Upon check in I was asked if a room in the back was ok (there was a train close by). I said ok, otherwise I had to wait 40 minutes for a room, I didn't think a train would be bad...was I wrong! Word of advice, steer away from the back, we heard the train at 2am! The breakfast was real nice. The room was small, but since we came when the hotel wasn't busy, it wasnt bad at all. We had hot waffles, cereal, danishes, bagel and muffins. It did the job for breakfast. Beds were comfy (had down comfortors), even the sofa bed was nice. The rooms were very clean and all furniture was in good condition. The shuttle to the park was ok. We shared a shuttle with the campground, Days Inn, Country Inn & Best Western. I can only imagine how hetic it would be peak season, but for us it worked out great. The pool was very small & to warm (heated), it was like bath water. Also they make free fresh baked cookies at the counter..yummy! Had a few issues with service, but minor remote problems & towels, but nothing to deter me from coming back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doswell
La Quinta Inn & Suites Richmond - Kings Dominion
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ashland - Hanover, VA
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#4 of 13 in Ashland

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion)? Share your experiences!